• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    [Grrr...typo in subject line.]

So, personal circumstances are finally aligning so I can seriously think about moving out of Maryland. I'm looking at a 2-3 year timeline.

I considered VA and PA initially because my sons are likely staying in MD and I don't want to be across the country from them. However, with both of those states on the march to turn blue, WV is next in line. I'm looking at the hilly area in the east where there's a big dark sky hole since I have some telescopes and want to spend time using them.

Of course, for me the biggest draw is WVs firearms laws and that's where the question comes in. For those of you who live there and keep track, how does the immediate political future look from that perspective? Is it possible you guys will dump Manchin? What is the likelihood of the blue virus infecting WV?

Any constructive thoughts will be appreciated.

Last edited:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If I was moving for good WVA would be the place that close by . PA is out and so is VA , both places changing demographics IMHO .

I think you have the right idea , long term 20 years or so that could change if the liberals ruin that area too .

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    If I was moving for good WVA would be the place that close by . PA is out and so is VA , both places changing demographics IMHO .

I think you have the right idea , long term 20 years or so that could change if the liberals ruin that area too .

If I'm still able to GAF about anything in 20 years, I'll be quite happy (and surprised).

;)

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If I'm still able to GAF about anything in 20 years, I'll be quite happy (and surprised).

;)

I did not know your age , but I think we can agree the liberals are winning and over running the nice places . They will have them ruined in the years to come .
    Not sure I will make 20 more years , I am going to be 59 in a month .

So I understand

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I did not know your age , but I think we can agree the liberals are winning and over running the nice places . They will have them ruined in the years to come .

So I understand

I'm a couple of years ahead of you. If I make it into my 80s with a reasonably healthy body and mind, I'll be quite pleased.

FWIW, as of now, I have searches on realtor.com centered on Hacker Valley and Romney. From what I've seen, I should not have any trouble finding a place I can afford and enjoy.

It's the politics that concern me. I don't want to go to the trouble of moving and then face the same BS that we're dealing with here in MD after a few years.

Also, for a while I was looking at Idaho but soon found out it was getting infested, too and crossed it off the list.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Honestly I think WV will be one of the last red states standing. True places like Charles town and harpers ferry have had a influx of liberals but every state has those places. The majority of the state bleeds red. I have only lived here a year but it's really like a different country compared to Md. Especially once you get west of Martinsburg.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you have no other reason than to move to WV for freedom's sake and family isn't an issue, I'd recommend the Beckley/Prosperity area in southern WV. A lot of conveniences but a lot of open land to buy at decent prices. If you're looking for a much more rural area, I'd recommend a small town in Wyoming county, called Mullens. Any place north of Mullens is really backwoods. Beckley/Prosperity has all of the stores and accommodations anyone could want. Good employment prospects too. Wyoming County, not so much.

Be careful where you move. There is a drug problem in many parts of WV. Some of them hill-people have given up on fire water and taken to opioids and other not so nice things. I had a piece of property almost given to me until I found out the seller couldn't keep drifters/homeless folks out of the cabin.

Since you have a few years to think about it, I'm sure you will find a nice place. Just remember that WV has a personal property tax and it can hit you hard in the wallet. Look into the personal property tax situation BEFORE you commit to WV.

Good Luck!

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    If you have no other reason than to move to WV for freedom's sake and family isn't an issue, I'd recommend the Beckley/Prosperity area in southern WV. A lot of conveniences but a lot of open land to buy at decent prices. If you're looking for a much more rural area, I'd recommend a small town in Wyoming county, called Mullens. Any place north of Mullens is really backwoods. Beckley/Prosperity has all of the stores and accommodations anyone could want. Good employment prospects too. Wyoming County, not so much.

Be careful where you move. There is a drug problem in many parts of WV. Some of them hill-people have given up on fire water and taken to opioids and other not so nice things. I had a piece of property almost given to me until I found out the seller couldn't keep drifters/homeless folks out of the cabin.

Since you have a few years to think about it, I'm sure you will find a nice place. Just remember that WV has a personal property tax and it can hit you hard in the wallet. Look into the personal property tax situation BEFORE you commit to WV.

Good Luck!

Good info. Thanks.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For firearms stuff that is now in WV law books, you should be thanking the WVCDL. They were the ones that managed to get con-carry pushed through the state house. Imagine the NRA, but for the state of WV. They are a non-political organization and believe me, they call an anti an anti.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Libs are like parasites, killing off the host, then looking for new one to infest. Op, Eastern US, looks like WV maybe your best bet. Western states, I like Utah specifically St. George area.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I liked the idea of moving to WV too, but there are a lot of issues with the demographics there too. A lot of drug use, theft, and general low income hillbilly problems.

And the land is cheap, but the jobs aren't plenty.

So I understand

They breed too fast.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Libs are like parasites, killing off the host, then looking for new one to infest. Op, Eastern US, looks like WV maybe your best bet. Western states, I like Utah specifically St. George area.

The best part about WV is that Charleston is too far away from Washington DC. I doubt that Charleston will ever be over ran by Liberals.

At least I hope and pray it never is......

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Interesting, I ran across St. George just poking around southern Utah on Google. What's attractive about it? Most Google stories I found were "Discrimination if you aren't LDS". I'm not sure that's really a big problem but those seemed to be the top hits for St. George.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    [Grrr...typo in subject line.]

So, personal circumstances are finally aligning so I can seriously think about moving out of Maryland. I'm looking at a 2-3 year timeline.

I considered VA and PA initially because my sons are likely staying in MD and I don't want to be across the country from them. However, with both of those states on the march to turn blue, WV is next in line. I'm looking at the hilly area in the east where there's a big dark sky hole since I have some telescopes and want to spend time using them.

Of course, for me the biggest draw is WVs firearms laws and that's where the question comes in. For those of you who live there and keep track, how does the immediate political future look from that perspective? Is it possible you guys will dump Manchin? What is the likelihood of the blue virus infecting WV?

Any constructive thoughts will be appreciated.

Good choice!
    I too am into telescopes! I have a 20" Teeters DOB that is GoTo enabled and I only live about 9 miles from Spruce Knob, the darkest sky area in the mid-Atlantic region. IM me for any info on where to move to in this area. I am a WV native who recently was able to move back after being in the service then going to college.

The chances of WV turning blue are slim to none. It has been steadily going the other direction for years. Hell, all of the candidates for the upcoming open US senate seats, Dems and Reps alike, have been actively campaigning on being pro-second amendment (even on their TV adds). We have the great West Virginia Citizens Defense League that is a tenacious watchdog for our Second Amendment Rights, and I would suggest that you join WVCDL at your earliest convenience. We have advanced several pro-gun bills into law this past session with very little resistance.

You will not find a friendlier place to own guns and shoot. I hear semi- and sometimes full auto fire around me regularly. I have 141 acres that I hunt, shoot, hike and ride 4-wheelers on, you and your family are welcome to come out and bring your scope, fishing poles and guns and see what the area is like (I have a great field for setting up scopes in).

I truly believe that I live in the most beautiful area of the most beautiful state on the east coast.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

Good Luck!

I don't know who told you that the PPT hits hard in the wallet, but that is false. All taxes combined, including Real property taxes (land/home) are far less than what you pay in Maryland. I have a 4k sq.ft. home with a detached 700 sq. ft. garage on 3.5 acres and another 141 acres less than 5 miles from two ski resorts and I only pay around $1700 a year total, including the PPT.

Damn I pay 5800 for 3.2 acres in MD. It's waterfront but I would give it up for a creek running down the mountain and a patch of property to shoot, fish and hunt (not sitting in a damn tree either). There has to be more work in WV than MT where I grew up...I live 100 miles from work already...rent a place during the week and home on weekends. What the hell would be different...oh yeah; I don't have libtard politicians trying to confiscate my property because they think I don't know what's best for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom