• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I am wondering why an infringement on any Right would not be considered by SCOTUS ... but don't want to know the answer.

Good work wolfwood, keep us informed.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Excellent.

I do not see how the decision could not be accorded Chevron deference. ATF officially and correctly determined bumpstocks are not machine guns. It is a dangerous situation if the government can change the definition of words and make otherwise law abiding people into criminals.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Quick work Wolf ! Thanks for letting us know about the 2a fight in the courts. Sometimes it can get a little frustrating out here in the trenches.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    Distributed for Conference of 01/10/2020. https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/19-296.html

This will be interesting because a majority of the justices have signaled that they're open to reviewing Chevron (or Auer, etc.) They passed on Gundy last term because, I think, it was a criminal case more specifically about sex-offender registration. Guedes is a much more clear cut example of the administrative state run amok.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    So this case is not following the path of other 2A cases apparently.

The relist has me intrigued. I didn't see this coming.

This isn't really a 2A case.

ETA: I would expect this to be a dissent from denial merely because of the politics of any decision that goes our way. For that reason alone I'd assume this isn't the best vehicle to make any ruling on the Chevron deference.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This isn't really a 2A case.

ETA: I would expect this to be a dissent from denial merely because of the politics of any decision that goes our way. For that reason alone I'd assume this isn't the best vehicle to make any ruling on the Chevron deference.

Maybe, but the wildcard is that the appeals court applied Chevron deference to a criminal statute even though the government disavowed it. Its egregiously wrong. If not a dissent, a per curiam or GVR would be my next guess.

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Maybe, but the wildcard is that the appeals court applied Chevron deference to a criminal statute even though the government disavowed it. Its egregiously wrong. If not a dissent, a per curiam or GVR would be my next guess.

I don't see a GVR, as there is not another case that would provide the basis for a GVR. A per curiam summary reversal or vacating is possible because the government concedes that the D.C. Circuit was wrong in relying on Chevron. But that's a bit of a long shot too, as the underlying question (Chevron) is too important to resolve summarily. The Gov. is in a tough position here, urging denial of cert while conceding that the basis of the decision was dead wrong. But a summary reversal could still leave undecided the underlying and important question of whether the AFT rule was legislative and hence prospective only (as the D.C. Circuit held) or an interpretative rule, as the government contends (which means that bumpstocks have *always* been illegal even while the ATF expressly oked them -- that makes a hard case for the government, given its retroactive and ex post facto effects). The government's position is indefensible. The question is will the Court care enough to intervene to set the DC Circuit (and the gov.) straight (it is bumpstocks after all). That all said, I am elated that the Court relisted the case, as that is typically the first sign that someone on the Court is interested. Most cases in which cert is granted are first relisted at least once, often more. I'll start worrying about a dissent to a denial after the 3d relist. Importantly, the petition for cert. does not ask the Court to resolve the legality of the bumpstock rule, only whether the DC Cir erred in applying Chevron deference to a statute with criminal and civil applications. That is a really important question on which members of the Court have previously opined as important. The Court has already ruled that there is NO Chevron deference given agency interpretations of purely criminal statutes. A statute can't mean one thing in civil cases and something else in criminal cases. That's crazy. So, I am going to go out on a limb and predict a cert grant. The Court will appoint an amicus to defend the D.C. Circuit's ruling.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I love you guys, and I'm not a complete idiot, but can someone please translate this into English? Just bottom line what does it mean for our side.

It means now that the case was relisted there's a real possibility that the bump stock rule may get struck down, albeit on technical grounds and not on the 2A.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Court has already ruled that there is NO Chevron deference given agency interpretations of purely criminal statutes. A statute can't mean one thing in civil cases and something else in criminal cases. That's crazy. So, I am going to go out on a limb and predict a cert grant. The Court will appoint an amicus to defend the D.C. Circuit's ruling.

If there is already precedent that no Chevron deference is given for purely criminal statutes, could that not form the basis for a GVR? or maybe a per curiam to reinforce this principal?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If there is already precedent that no Chevron deference is given for purely criminal statutes, could that not form the basis for a GVR? or maybe a per curiam to reinforce this principal?

No, because there is footnote in Babbit that suggests that Chevron applies in a mixed case. The bump stock statute is both civil and criminal. In pure criminal cases of more recent origin, the court has refused to apply deference. So, doctrinally, the Court's precedent is in a mess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom