• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'm sure that there is a duplicate somewhere but I'm just too damn excited to care. I bought my first C&R firearm this week - a 1927 Mosin Nagant 91/30 from Classic Firearms.

I've always been interested in Russian history (took Russian language all the way through AP5 in high school and have blood from that region) and found the wartime stuff to be especially fascinating. Combine that with my love of video games (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater specifically) and the Mosin Nagant 91/30 was the ideal first C&R for me.

I got the rifle on Thursday and spent a good chunk of the day removing the Cosmoline and making it fireable. The "devil's snot" is no misnomer; this stuff is a complete bitch to remove. I ended up using boiling water and a ton of elbow grease to get it off. That said, there is no feeling like restoring a firearm to shootable condition. Definitely made me feel good.

I shied away from the more aggressive treatments as I really didn't want to damage the stock. I realize it's a shooter and not a safe queen but I really was hoping to retain the historic integrity of it. So it maybe took me a little more time than I "needed" but it looks great now (to me at least). Now of course Cosmoline has been bleeding out of the stock like no one's business, but I've managed that with some beer, a movie, and more elbow grease.

I definitely have more work to do in refinishing and restoring the stock, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Considering I've wanted a Mosin Nagant 91/30 since I was 13, I couldn't be happier with this. Basically a dream come true.

Attachments

• DSC_0130.jpg
      DSC_0130.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 591
    • DSC_0132.jpg
      DSC_0132.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 617
    • DSC_0135.jpg
      DSC_0135.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 532
    • DSC_0195[1].jpg
      DSC_0195[1].jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 610

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Great choice. I recommend getting the firing pin spring replaced if you experience the dreaded "sticky bolt." A lighter firing pin spring can alleviate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Well, it shoots well! A little high at 50 yards, but very reasonable. Punched a clean hole through my metal plate.

Attachments

• DSC_0206.jpg
      DSC_0206.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 534

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Quick tip for the Mosin: think about investing in a taller front sight post. Mosin's typically shoot high on their sights, so it helps a lot. Or just aim lower ;)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Congratulations, tovarich! Is good to have glorious Mosin Nagant defender of Rodina!

I see you got a "hex"; is it a Tula or an Izhevsk? Updated Dragoon or 91/30?

All us kulaks are curious. And did you get bayonet? Is necessary for hunting of the deers (and fascists) you know.

Are you familiar with the Smith Sights website? He has good information about accurizing your Mosin, and other good tips. Also replacement front sight posts.

http://www.smith-sights.com/article-accurizing-mosin-nagant.php

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Electronics Shrink wrap from harbor freight on the front sight and cut it down to zero it. Cheap solution

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Nice rifle OP.

I was surprised to see 3 or 4 91/30s at Shooter's Discount on the racks. They didn't have price tags on them and I didn't finger them but they look really nice.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    If you want to retain its historic integrity, don't refinish or "restore" the stock. Any refinishing would hurt its monetary and historic value, and as a collector you would probably come to regret it. Just clean it up and enjoy it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you want to retain its historic integrity, don't refinish or "restore" the stock. Any refinishing would hurt its monetary and historic value, and as a collector you would probably come to regret it. Just clean it up and enjoy it.

This is true. Just clean it up.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Great choice. I recommend getting the firing pin spring replaced if you experience the dreaded "sticky bolt." A lighter firing pin spring can alleviate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, no such issue shooting it today. Put 60 rounds and 20 blanks down range with only one or two fail to loads due entirely to operator error. The bolt is just CHERRY.

Nice Mosin!! Did you get the kit with it and Bayonet?

Congratulations, tovarich! Is good to have glorious Mosin Nagant defender of Rodina!

I see you got a "hex"; is it a Tula or an Izhevsk? Updated Dragoon or 91/30?

All us kulaks are curious. And did you get bayonet? Is necessary for hunting of the deers (and fascists) you know.

Are you familiar with the Smith Sights website? He has good information about accurizing your Mosin, and other good tips. Also replacement front sight posts.

http://www.smith-sights.com/article-accurizing-mosin-nagant.php

Yep, came with the bayonet and all accessories. Matching serial #s as well.

As for production, it is a Tula, but I see Izhevsk markings (triangle with arrow) on the bolt and lower receiver. Have been wondering about that...
    Quick tip for the Mosin: think about investing in a taller front sight post. Mosin's typically shoot high on their sights, so it helps a lot. Or just aim lower ;)

I've been aiming lower haha. I don't really want to modify it unless for safety concerns (which there haven't been).

Yeah, I'm coming around to not doing anything. Maybe just some lemon oil once I finish bleeding the stock.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    HEY HEY THIS IS NOT HELPFUL. That said...HMMMMM.

It is very helpful...

Do not resist...

There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom