• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    But, they DO have Walmart only models, at least in the Marlin model 60's anyway. They have been that way for a few years now, there are (were) certain stock configurations that were ONLY sold new at Walmart.

This is also correct for some Ruger.

I have a 10/22 with Mannlicher style laminate stock that was Walmart only.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say go to a local shop. For one, you will get far better service at a gun shop. Good luck getting good answers to any questions you have at Walmart, and don't even think of going back there if something should happen to break.

Two, I am a big fan of keeping money local when I can. I would rather buy from a local business man then feed the giant made in china corporation.

Three, I just don't like Walmart that much. Yes they are convenient and good for some things, but in general I'm not a fan of all their business practices. Or the cleanliness of their stores, or how some of their employees act and dress.

Given the OP''s location Freds is about the only local dealer and I know how popular they are around here.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    While I hate wally world when it comes to the bank account I have to say do it.

Don't get me wrong I want to support the local shops but if the price variance is too high ill go to Walmart if they sell the same item.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I can't see Ruger putting their reputation on the line to sell a lower grade gun to Walmart. Using the gift cards is like a $300 discount. I would go for it.

Agreed. I'm no walmart warrior but when you have $300 in gift certs the decision seems pretty obvious. Unless of course you can find a similar price at a local dealer and spend the $300 at Walmart on ammo ;)

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Walmart gets the same quality of firearms as everyone else from a manufacturer.

Sort of. Sometimes they have cheaper versions only available there to keep the price point lower. Such as a Savage rimfire without scope bases to save $5-$10 on the price point, etc. There shouldn't be any difference in most models most likely though.

Walmart does have cheaper versions of electronics sometimes though. They might have a TV with model #5035H instead of 5035L like Newegg will have, because it has some cheaper components, or less inputs, etc. I would be more worried about buying electronics there than firearms. Although, supporting the local gunshops would be more important than supporting Walmart assuming the price is close to the same.

Obviously, the gift card doesn't HAVE to be spent on firearms if you wanted to spend it on staple products or a million other things.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun from Wal*Mart. Many local places seem to be low on selection and high on pricing. It seems like at least half of them are just guys living the dream of spending their days in a gun shop drinking coffee with their cronies. That's OK with me but I'm going to shop where I get the best combination of service, selection and price.

Tim2K

Feb 29, 2012
    Baltimore
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I don't want to come off like too much of a jerk with my first post. I don't buy ANYTHING from Walmart. I'm sure the gun is the same as it would be anywhere else tho. I was in a local gun shop yesterday, Clyde's on Hammonds Ferry Road and they had a stainless/synthetic Mini 14 for $750, which is cheaper than even some of the bigger stores such as Bass Pro. If people don't continue to support the local shops (not just gun shops but all retail) we will have no where to go but places like Walmart. It's nice to form a relationship with your local gunshop and what better way then by patronizing them. Back to Walmart, check out the YouTube link. It gets a little over the top, but I haven't even been in a Walmart in about 2 years. I just feel out of place and would rather pay a little extra if I have to. Too bad Costco doesn't sell firearms, that's my SPOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hftb_DVuelo

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I don't want to come off like too much of a jerk with my first post. I don't buy ANYTHING from Walmart. I'm sure the gun is the same as it would be anywhere else tho. I was in a local gun shop yesterday, Clyde's on Hammonds Ferry Road and they had a stainless/synthetic Mini 14 for $750, which is cheaper than even some of the bigger stores such as Bass Pro. If people don't continue to support the local shops (not just gun shops but all retail) we will have no where to go but places like Walmart. It's nice to form a relationship with your local gunshop and what better way then by patronizing them. Back to Walmart, check out the YouTube link. It gets a little over the top, but I haven't even been in a Walmart in about 2 years. I just feel out of place and would rather pay a little extra if I have to. Too bad Costco doesn't sell firearms, that's my SPOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hftb_DVuelo

Although I agree with this to an extent, who doesn't like a deal?

We all should support small businesses...but at the same time, unless you can live without certain things, some things you can't pass up. Also, sometimes shopping at places like WalMart helps you to gauge pricing for things. For example, I recently purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. I looked around and the cheapest price I saw without having to haggle was $729 at Dicks Sporting Goods. Then I went an bought it for $775 at a Gun Show. Sure it could have been cheaper if I shopped some more, but I didn't want to spend the time and effort and I had no problem supporting smaller businesses.

FYI, I've seen the Mini-14 tactical for $700 at the Chantily Gun show and the Ranch for $650. Atlantic Guns had the Tactical for $729 during their February sale. I'll probably wait till the next gun show to buy my Mini, but it would be interesting to know what WalMart is asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom