• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hate skinning from gambrels....always spinning around. I prefer two separate friction straps with hooks on the ends hooked through the hocks. For gutting, lying on the ground(the deer) is the easiest for me. I used to hang them to gut but, that was a PIA. I can field dress a deer in about a minute and a half just doing it on the ground and usually do it where it falls. Gotta be careful when hosing out a carcass. Chance of bacteria if proper temps aren't maintained.

Last edited:

Hytaro

Oct 10, 2018
    North Bergen,NJ
    I understand that I little bit late to the party, but I have some pics that I want to share...
    The best pic I had these 2 of 4 gambrels like models by Polaris or Game Hoist http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-deer-hoist/ walk-in cooler, on the sidelines, now have the stainless counter in the back and a mop with hot and cold water! All covered and lighted and all 3 sides protected from the wind and cold. Our 2 main gambrels are now hooked up to 120V winches, which our rental manager bought for sale for $ 40 each. This makes it much easier to move up or down when skinning/gutting. This deer on the left is a 23" wide 1/2+ old 6 points!
    skinningdeer.jpg

Last edited:

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    Definitely field dress then after I get home and hoist it I clean out anything I missed in the field. I use one of those hoist and pulley systems with the gambrel that looks like a heavy duty clothes hanger. Bought it at Walmart years ago for less than $5 at end of season sale. Have a big old side by side refrigerator in the basement that I took all the shelves and bins out of where I can hang the deer quarters in if the weather isn’t cooperating outside .
    It has built in shelf standards so I use metal shelf brackets to support PVC pipe that supports the hindquarters. So glad I didn’t get rid of the old refrigerator, it’s really come in handy.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I dont usually care to drag the extra 30-50lbs out of the woods lol. I have heard that gutting them while hanging is way easier though which I dont doubt. I may try it if I get the chance.

I drag my deer to a hill, head side up. Let's the innards flow with gravity.

My primary goal is to let the meat cool asap

My $.02

I do the same as above.

If it's cool enough, I hang it from my two tree's out back with a gambrel/hoist system I constructed:

kce5uf.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive done some different stuff since my original post. I have a harbor freight manual 1 ton hoist mounted to the rafters and have a walk in cooler in my shop/garage. I put a 35 gallon water tank on top of the walk in just to have some water to rinse off the blood after gutting.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    lungs?

I don't think any sort of prepared hoist is necessary, but I'm sure it would be helpful. I live in an apartment so I don't butcher my deer at home. Maybe if I wasn't married I'd consider doing it in the bathtub (kidding).

I just carry some 550 cord and a couple gallon ziplock bags with me in my hunting pack. I field dress the deer where it falls. I put the organs that I like to keep (heart, lungs and liver if they're not shot out) in one plastic bag and the triple bag the scent glands from the deer's back legs separately (for use on future hunts).

Then I drag or carry the deer back to my camp or car using the 550 cord. Once there, I put a strong stick through the space between the deer's "Achilles" tendons on its back legs and tie rope to either side of the stick, and loop the rope over a sturdy tree branch. This is basically what Chris above has done using a metal pole from what I can tell. Then I use a little strength and body weight to hoist the deer up so that its hams are at about the height of my head, and tie the rope off to the tree. If it is cold out and I have time, I'll leave it to hang there for a day so that blood can drain and the muscle fibers can be stretched for tenderness.

But if I've got to get home I go ahead and butcher it on the spot and put all the cuts into ziplock bags. Once home, I put the meat into a few buckets of cold water and let it sit for a day to get most of the blood out of the meat (I got this method from the Firefox books). Then I dry the meat thoroughly and vacuum back it for the freezer (I did not get this from Firefox haha). However you do it, I think the most important thing is to take your time, be safe and careful, and enjoy bringing your own truly organic, free-range food to the table.

You keep the lungs? Heart and Liver I get.
    Never soaked a roast to get the blood out. Usually quarter and put in a large cooler if outside temps are over 50F Otherwise hang w/ cape on.

I usually hang the deer by the head using my drag strap or para cord in the woods. The guy w/ the 4 wheeler could easily back it up and hang the deer for field dressing. I hang 'em so blood etc. drops down and away. Especially if I make a mistake and nick something I should not have. This get all most of the blood out. W/ a 4 wheeler and some water one can do a great job. I cheat w/ a front end loader on my tractor when at home.

Once home, I use a home made Gambrill made from some rebar for butchering. I really like the ones pictured w/ the round hooks at the end. This would catch each of the hind quarters once they are removed from the pelvis. I use a 4:1 block from an old boom vang for the hoist. This can be used in the garage or in the field as required. Otherwise an electric winch would be great in the garage.

As long as temp are < 50F, I leave the cape on and hang for 3 days, then butcher. If > 50F quarter and use a cooler or refrigerator for 3 days.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I dont usually care to drag the extra 30-50lbs out of the woods lol. I have heard that gutting them while hanging is way easier though which I dont doubt. I may try it if I get the chance.

AMEN TO THAT! However, once crops are harvested.. it's a cake walk to drive the tractor or w/e out there and bring it back to hoist.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    .. removed some content from quote...

As long as temp are < 50F, I leave the cape on and hang for 3 days, then butcher. If > 50F quarter and use a cooler or refrigerator for 3 days.

I quit hunting mid june - aug once it's hot.. how do you keep it from spoiling while quartering it? I tried once last year and it was COVERED in flies and eggs.. it' was.. pushing 85-90 degrees out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom