• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    $495 CETME vs $899 PTR
    This will be the support system for the starlight scope.
    Which one and why. All opinions welcome.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    PTR hands down. Here are the reasons assuming you are talking about the GI model:

1. PTR built on H&K licensed equipment meaning receiver will be built to spec which means it will be much easier to mount the scope you want. CETME receiver will not be spec and a gamble.

2. PTR uses a better American barrel that is nitrided which will make it just as reliable as hammer forging. CETME will not have that.

3. PTR has way better QC control. Even if they do mess up they have a one year warranty that starts when you buy the rifle. Century QC is a joke and their warranty starts when it leaves the factory so it could have been sitting in a store for longer than a year so if you were to get it and it does not work you will be out of luck. Century will just advise to go to one of their former employees to fix it for $500. At that point you would have been better off just buying the PTR to begin with.

4. PTR can use any H&K factory mags and they are cheap. CETME MAY be able to use G3 mag but not always a guarantee and they won't be as reliable as CETME factory mags which are more expensive.

5) PTR has way better factory sights. CETME paddle wheel sight is flimsy and a joke.

6) Way more parts and spares available for the PTR since it is a G3 clone. The CETME is built to different specs so interchangeability is not a guarantee and way less parts for it.

I hope this information helps.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Thanks. I was comparing the PTR GI model. There only seems to be one CETME model in 308. This one will be a dedicated hog hunter (also handy for zombies) with the german night scope from Keepshooting.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Definitely the PTR. Top quality and brand new Contender barrels mated to new receivers made on real former HK tooling. Mine has several actual Hk marked parts. Or the CETME, former Spanish military parts kits hand assembled by a semi trained brigade of Reeses monkeys. I recently looked at a C93, the fit and finish were beyond terrible. The lower receiver could be wiggled nearly a quarter inch forward and back, I would avoid a Century built CETME at all cost.

I had an actual Hk91 back in the 90s and my PTR is definitely more accurate and the welds are just as good.

IMG_0100-1.jpg

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Also forgot to mention the GI model has deeper flutes so it will be able to reliably extract surplus and dirty ammo way better than non-GI models and definitely the CETME

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Thanks. I was comparing the PTR GI model. There only seems to be one CETME model in 308. This one will be a dedicated hog hunter (also handy for zombies) with the german night scope from Keepshooting.

PTR came out with the GI model because some folks were having issues with the Contender barrel chamber being to tight. Supposedly the tar sealed surplus ammo was causing problems. I have fed mine all all sorts of surplus and new production, including the higher pressure commercial ammo and have never had it FTE. Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Winchester WB, Rem UMC, Prvi Partizan, DAK, lots of Spanish Santa Barbara, TULA, etc...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Another vote for the PTR. Aside from what Scott said, the CETME will be a Century build and many have had their bolts ground as a ghetto way to correct headspacing. Mine was.

The G3 is an upgrade in many subtle ways and the PTR is worth paying a bit more for.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    PTR all the way. The extra money spent will be well worth it. Scott already hit all the high points.
    Gratuitous pic of my GI model. Going to Cerakote the gun later this year.
    ptr.jpg

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Another vote for the PTR. Aside from what Scott said, the CETME will be a Century build and many have had their bolts ground as a ghetto way to correct headspacing. Mine was.

The G3 is an upgrade in many subtle ways and the PTR is worth paying a bit more for.

Seriously? :eek:

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Ergos are horrible on G3 type rifles. Newer ptr's will handle surplus. I called and asked. Try before you buy, I have all three of the 'legacy'nato battle rifles and it ranks last in my opinion. FAL ,M1A, G3

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't have an M1A, but I agree the FAL has better ergos. Though I do like the PTR's mag release and much cheaper magazine cost over the FAL.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    This is good info. There was no other thread like it that I could find. My research is confined to this platform, as it will readily accept the scope with the claw mount. I'm not going to put it on my M1a. I don't have the FAL platform. This project will be for one purpose, will get abused, may not get repeated use, and the goal is to keep it under 1K. (not including the scope and other peripherals) The compare contrast to the other NATO platforms would be useful for other readers.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I don't have an M1A, but I agree the FAL has better ergos. Though I do like the PTR's mag release and much cheaper magazine cost over the FAL.

Back around 2004 I was buying 25 FAL mags for $25. Timing is the key. Oh, back then the HK 91/G3 mags were significantly higher priced. It is like someone found 20,000,000 surplus G3 mags in a warehouse somewhere.

Sirex