• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should I legally be allowed to purchase 9mm ammo for my rifle at the age of 20?

• Total voters

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I'm 46 now,,, and I can remember a LONGGGGGGGGGG time ago catching hell for trying to buy .22LR rounds for my 'coon rifle,,, not sure if was the law back then,,, bit I do remember there being signs about selling pistol calibers to those under 21.

Tom

I think the important difference here is that the law says he cant buy handgun ammo....

22LR is LONG RIFLE

9mm (Parabellum) [sp] is a handgun cartridge

So at the end of the day, I really can't blame them....

I'm sure they are just covering their butts, but I think short of you bringing the weapon to the store there is no way to prove you are using in a rifle, or not buying it for someone else.

I know it's not fair, but, since I'm not your age I sorta feel the drinking and handgun ammo laws are probably for the best.

It's wrong in one respect, and understandable in others. I don't think 18 year olds make the best decissions, having been one, but I'm conflicted with the fact that you can joing the military at 17 and die for your country. (Of couse, you need your parents permission, and you WILL be supervised in the use of your issued firearms... which will likely be rifles.)

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I doubt he was.....most of those big chain stores are scared to give people ammo when they buy it, so they walk it to the door.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I've been asked once whether it was rifle or pistol ammo, I always say rifle, (because I have a sub2000 and a glock22) and I always show them my ID without them asking. Typically I go to walmart after work, so I'm still dressed in my "Government Worker Attire" and look mostly presentable. What made me giggle was the time I bought a bunch of 7.62x39 and .40s&w at the same time as some spray paint, and the cashier scanned the spray paint first, then the ammo. She looked at me (and my great deal of facial hair at the time) and just hit the yes button. She then scanned the 7.62 and it didn't prompt, and again didn't prompt for the .40.

Regardless of in what firearm you're claiming to be using that ammo, you'll have to follow the laws as written, even if that law has been repealed, you still have to follow the store's policy. I would suggest taking your dollars elsewhere if it really bugs you that much. There are plenty of stores that will assume the risk of a different interpretation of the law.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    It is true that presentation can get you very far... Many moons ago when being carded was an issue, I typically never got carded; I was always dressed for work and wearing about $500 in clothing.

Just being well dressed seems to work well, evern though its not remotely proof of age or sanity.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Funny thing happened the last weekend at Wally World, I was buying 9mm ammo lady asked me if it was for a rifle or handgun, I said handgun but she never asked for ID. I was so confused

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    The one in Cambridge never asks. They've also renovated the store and the "sporting" section is much better. Lots of types of targets, holsters (albeit uncle mikes) but still... also, decoys, more scopes, and about half the ammo is not behind glass (pistol and rifle) plus a bunch more. I head that way a fair bit and often stop in.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I don't think 18 year olds make the best decissions, having been one, but I'm conflicted with the fact that you can joing the military at 17 and die for your country. (Of couse, you need your parents permission, and you WILL be supervised in the use of your issued firearms... which will likely be rifles.)

I enlisted in the Navy under their "Kiddy Cruise" program...in at 17 and out at 21. Yes it took parental consent and I was "supervised" vis-a-vis my firearm activity.

Supervision consisted of a familiarity check (take down and reassembly) of the .45ACP pistol (.22 conversion) to shoot all by my lonesome on our indoor range, and to carry the .45ACP on courier duty. Nothing fancy...just common sense.

My biggest complaint was that we carried two loaded magazines on the gun belt and the pistol empty. That gaping hole in the grip just screamed, "Come get me." No one ever did.

We have to stop dumbing down our teenagers. Have high expectations and they will meet or exceed them.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    On the other hand

I needed 12 gauge trap ammo. I stopped by walmart at 6am. Just went right to the manager and told him I needed ammo. He was more then happy to walk back with me to sportings goods. He opened the case. When he range up my sale of 300 rounds of 12 gauge he then asked me if this was for a hand gun?

here's your sign!

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I bought a couple hundred rounds of .22lr the other day, and the lady working the sporting goods asked me how she can tell if the ammo is for a rifle or a pistol. She was confused when I stated that there's really no way to tell, other than to ask the person.

Funny thing is that she rang it up as pistol ammo. Turns out the logic of the register is to ask if the ammo is pistol or rifle, then to ask "Check ID 18?" or "Check ID 21?" and then go about its business. If something already has checked ID, it won't check ID again.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've never been carded for ammo in any WalMart but then again, I'm twice your age. I also remember buying ammo at the hardware store across from my grandfather's farm when I was no older than 10 without so much as a glance from the salesperson, but times have changed.

Wow, I feel old. I remember saving up all of my allowance to go to the local Cook's department store to buy as much Remington .22's as I could carry ($0.60 a box, on sale.)

(No, I didn't walk there in 5 feet of snow, up hill both ways. :) )

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Wal Mart and their store policies.

Years and years ago, a friend and myself brought a case of paintballs up to the register in the sporting goods only to be told you had to be 18 to purchase, we were 16 or 17.

We drove "down the street" to the paintball store and picked up what we wanted.

Plainolme

Sep 16, 2010
    Severna Park, MD
    I can't really blame Wal-Mart too much. It is a CYA society nowadays. We do have a free market. You can always go somewhere else too. I would rather spend a few more (read reasonable amount) dollars at a mom and pop shop than throw my money at Wal-Mart. Yeah, they are convenient, have usually stock a far amount, and are cheap; but the don't know all applications for a specific caliber. If you want to try and teach 'em good luck. You could always save yourself some heart ache and run to that mom and pop shop or even go online.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    FYI, the Walmart in Fallston won't even let you look at the knives in the case.

I wrote a letter to the Manager, we'll see how that goes. I sure hope they don't have the same stupid policy when they get the guns in the case finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom