• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have had my P-64 for awhile and like it's compact size and reasonably stout round. It has proven to be a very accurate little pistol, too. I installed the PolishIron grips, and it is actually pleasant to shoot, now.

Parts for these are difficult to come by and they are known to break the barrel safety more than any other part. Other than that, they are very reliable. If you take care when setting the safety with a round chambered, not the let the hammer drop by itself, damaging the safety can be avoided.

I like the idea of having at least two firearms that use the rounds I keep on hand in any quantity and this meant another 9 x 18 Makarov eater was needed.

I considered buying a CZ-82 next, but opted for another P-64 and just pulled the trigger on it from Classic Firearms. They say the conditions are very good to excellent. The first one from them was in excellent condition and looked unissued. I am hoping for one nearly as nice, although my expectations are more reasonable. The nice thing about having two will be that I should be able to keep at least one operational, at all times.

At some point in the future, a CZ-82 will be part of my collection. :)

My new toy should arrive next week. I will report on it's condition soon after.:party29:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    AIM has shooter condition Cz82s for $269...

I picked up a pair of P64s from SOG right before they sold out and then a month later a Cz82 from classic. Awesome pistols.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Buy em while they are cheap.

Or wait and buy my "spare" for a reasonable markup to make it feel like I made a good investment on buying two when I could get them on sale and discount for two :D

I figure some day they will finally sell out.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I took a cz82 out and shot it 2 wks ago. Its a great mid size pistol. Well made. Solid. A good value for concealed carry and decent size for target work. I bought mine about 12 years ago when i was first trying out my 03 and amazed a c&r pistol could be shipped here ( for the doubters, there was a letter posted on the internet on letterhead from the asst atty general assigned to MSP saying ok to use cr 003) to buy cr pistol from out of state. So i called him. He took the call wnd i asked if he had signed the letter...was it real. He laughed and said, if that’s my signature on the letter it’s real). Don’t like the plastic grips but have seen nice wood after markets.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My new addition arrived this afternoon, and I couldn't be more happy. Classic has surpassed my expectations with an example that appears unfired and is in excellent condition. It appears unissued and is as close to "mint" as I have seen. It is also the same year as the first, so I guess I now have a set of twins. :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My new addition arrived this afternoon, and I couldn't be more happy. Classic has surpassed my expectations with an example that appears unfired and is in excellent condition. It appears unissued and is as close to "mint" as I have seen. It is also the same year as the first, so I guess I now have a set of twins. :)

My ‘64s are pretty close to NIB condition. One is missing the red paint on the safety. Otherwise no visible finish wear. Though mine were from SOG. Most I’ve seen are in really great shape. Not to say that isn’t awesome to get one in mint condition.

I am still shocked at my M57. I got it from DK Firearms. I did pay for a handpick, but it is in nearly unfired condition. Slight finish wear on the hammer, but I can’t find wear anywhere else on it. The finish is a beautiful deep purple of commie bluing.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Have you had a chance to fire the M57 yet? I have been curious if they are functioning as they should or prone to problems.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have you had a chance to fire the M57 yet? I have been curious if they are functioning as they should or prone to problems.

Mine’s run flawlessly for about 200 or so rounds (all I’ve put through it). It shoots way low, but runs perfectly. Just need to adjust the sight picture is all. Shoots really sweet.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The CZ82 is a great pistol. It would make a good companion to your P64's. Polygonal / fixed barrel make the thing uncanny accurate, even in my hands. Mine did have a worn-out mag release when pushing from the right side of the gun. Fortunately, CZ USA sells the CZ83/CZ82 mag release. Getting it installed was a little tedious...

DK Firearms was mentioned above. He is usually at Chantilly and last time I checked, he had CZ82 12rd mags...

Hornady makes Critical Defense in Makarov...

Oh, did I mention the CZ82 is a great pistol.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A CZ-82 is on my list to acquire at some point in the future. Although I don't have anything in the caliber yet, the M-57 has been trying to get on there, too. Lazarus' feedback just made me add it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A CZ-82 is on my list to acquire at some point in the future. Although I don't have anything in the caliber yet, the M-57 has been trying to get on there, too. Lazarus' feedback just made me add it.

I can’t speak to them all. I’ve shit a few 1911s and I will say, most HAVE been nicer than my M57. That said, the trigger isn’t overly heavy, it’s got a bit of creep for an SA only gun, but it is worlds better than any DA/SA gun you will try. The recoil is moderate to light IMHO. Granted I am a 6’1”, 195lhs or mostly muscle. But in comparison the recoil is a fair amount less than my G17. I am sure a lot of that is owed to an m57 being about 6-7oz heavier.

I’ve heard guys says that the x25 is this giant fireball shooter. Now I haven’t shot mine in the dark, but the muzzle blast is a bit more than 9mm, but it isn’t ridiculous. .357 sig is noticeably worse. Mine will throw brass in to the next county. Which is better than my direct blow back commie guns which will hurl it in to the next state. I tend to find 90% of my brass about 30-40 feet behind me at my 5 o’clock. My Cz82, 50 and P64s hurl it about 50-60 feet straight to my 3 o’clock and god I hope anyone in a lane next to me has eye pro on!

It might be throwing it further, but pistol ranges I am shooting on aren’t more than about 60 feet wide if I am in lane 1 and then they have a wall/berm. I find most of my brass on that berm or at the base of it/the wall. Anything closer probably bounced off the benches getting flung that direction.

My P1 and G17 dribble brass 2-5 feet to my 9 o’clock or 3 o’clock respectively.

Anyway, the M57 seems to be relatively accurate. At 15yds though it shoots about 10 inches low. I think the issue is it wants a sight picture where the front sight sights on top of the rear notch, rather than in the rear notch. The front sight, at least on mine is VERY short. About .15” tall. I can’t realistically file it down enough to bring the sight picture up. So I need to experiment with sight pictures to get it more repeatable.

Mags are fairly inexpensive and new production mags have worked fine for me. He safety on them tends to actually be okay. Better than the slapped on job you find on T33s.

Downside is surplus 7.62x25 is all corrosive, though M57 are chromed barrels and with a delayed blowback it doesn’t get as dirty, so cleaning up the corrosive residue is a relatively easy process. More that surplus just isn’t that cheap anymore. I can find it for 25-30 cents a round doing some looking, but new manufacture is around 32-38c a round. Which IMHO only makes sense to get surplus if you think you might want to shoot a bunch in a session.

I picked up 5 boxes of 72rnds each a few months back when SOG had it for I think it was $14 or $15 a box.

But I mostly buy Fiocchi and PPU which shoot well and tend not to be super expensive.

But it is no 9mm. You are talking $17-22 a box of 50. But a good M57 could still be had for $200-240. They don’t seem to have dried up completely.

Buttt, I like my Cz82 more. Cheaper to shoot. More practical in both size and mag capacity. I am struggling with rounds periodically jumping up and jamming against the barrel and slide. Even from surplus mags. I think the mag spring is too tight and causing it (it takes a ridiculous amount of force to load a mag. I can’t load them past 9 rounds by hand and must use a mag loader to get to 12...and it is still super hard). So I’ve left the mags loaded in my safe the last few weeks. See if that helps a little.

Anyway, IMHO a nice condition M57 is not something I think you’d regret buying. Of course I don’t know what your finances are like.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC

Congrats. I’m surprised at the condition from Classic. They normally embelish their grading.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    After disassembly and cleaning, it looks like these were refurbished using only a few old parts. Mine has the number from another gun hand engraved on the slide stop lever. The spring for it was also installed upside down which made it a pain to remove. New parts appear to include hammer, sear, trigger and springs. The hammer spring strut needed a little attention to remove some burrs but cleaned up nicely. The barrel and feed ramp appear new but the frame has marks under the grips like it was clamped in a vise after the blueing was done.

Looks like brand new when assembled, but obviously not when you open it up.

I took it to the range and ran some rounds through it. It performed perfectly and even the DA trigger is pretty good at around 12 lbs. The SA is 3 lbs. and very smooth. Admittedly, I polished the mating surfaces and a couple of pivot points for the trigger mechanism. The springs feel about equal to the Wolff 19 lb. hammer spring I have in my other P-64 which makes the DA trigger pull manageable on it. With the original spring, it took three guys and a keg of beer to pull the darned thing!

The serial number is only 416 away from my other so I am fairly certain they share a similar history. Nothing special with a billboard on the side, but fun little guns that pack a punch.

Kinda like the "Noisy Cricket" from MIB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom