• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I realize this is sacrilege, and I'll most likely get flamed out of here....

I'm thinking about getting an Air Pistol to practice in my back yard. I'm in Rural Carroll County backed up to woods on two sides, and my thinking is it would be safe to practice with BBs without much trouble.

Anyone know much about air pistols? Do they make much noise? Can they do much damage?

Thanks

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Air pistols run the gammut from small game getters to barely able to punch paper. If you like revolvers Gammo has one with a houge grip just like my real one and is very accurate. There are plenty of semi auto options some way better than others that will be a match for a real member of your arsenal. Some of the newer ones even have slides that cycle and enable single action fire otherwise they are all pretty much DAO.Most do make enough noise that a close neighbor might notice so you might not want the attention. Backstops are easy to build so you could probably shoot inside or maybe from inside to minimize attention. Airguns are great practice and good ones can be accurate enough to help you refine your techniches especially for long range shooting.(50yds can seem like 500 with a high powered rifle)

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I use a gamo as my ccw rig :)
    I have a 10-32x50 BSA, daisy red-dot, and mini mag light. I conceal it in a custom (my mom made it) holster made of cotton canvas. It's a great rig and hides well, though I get funny looks when I wear a down jacket in the summer.

If they only knew..................................................................

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    I use a gamo as my ccw rig :)
    I have a 10-32x50 BSA, daisy red-dot, and mini mag light. I conceal it in a custom (my mom made it) holster made of cotton canvas. It's a great rig and hides well, though I get funny looks when I wear a down jacket in the summer.

If they only knew..................................................................

Hey, Gecko45's kid joined the forum!

n00b

Jul 21, 2010

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Unfortunately, almost anything with a real steel trademark name is not going to be high quality. Walther is one exception, and the CP-88 is a wonderful pellet gun. But the S&W, Beretta, and the like are more for mass appeal than quality.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Unless you're looking for rapid fire, get a break action pellet gun. The speed is faster and there's no CO2 canisters involved.

Stick with a reputable name Airgun and you'll be good to go for a long time.

Here's my Gamo Varmint Hunter and Beeman P-3...both are break action.

airguns.JPG

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    I've been thinking of an air gun for basement target practice. From the research I've done, looks like the Daisy 717 and 747 are good bargains. While you're at it, grab a Daisy 953 or 853 rifle. The 853s are apparently popular entry-level competition guns (high school, small college teams, etc).

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have a Crossman G1 Extreme pellet rifle. Cost just around 100 bucks at most sporting good stores.
    It's a break action meaning break the barrel to cock and load.
    Shoots 177 pellets.
    Toped with a Center Point scope.
    I use it to eliminate ground hogs at 100-150 feet.
    Be aware these are not toys buy any means.
    It will penetrate 3/8" plywood and keep going.:)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Next time you go to Dick's or Wal-Mart wander to the airgun section and find a good starter "gun" and work from there. I still use my 30yr old Crossman for most things requiring an airgun. I also have the crossman Pump pistol which is very accurate and effective on squerrells and rabbits. I also have a selection of CO2 semi autos/revolver for practice/plinking. The possibilities are endless.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    UMA225-7001.jpg

waiting for my parts driver to bring me this back:D i just ordered one for a new rodent problem :innocent0 .177 cal Desert Eagle blowback 425fps
    damn i love being a toolweb distributor:)

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    Here's my Gamo Varmint Hunter and Beeman P-3...both are break action.

I just ordered a P17, from what I understand a Chinese made copy of the P3. Reviews say it's VERY comparable, though many seem to have issues with o-rings (easy fix).

What pellets do you use with that gun?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I just ordered a P17, from what I understand a Chinese made copy of the P3. Reviews say it's VERY comparable, though many seem to have issues with o-rings (easy fix).

What pellets do you use with that gun?

I had a P3 knock off to start out with. After around 50 pellets the seal weakened until it failed around 80 pellets. I angrily traded it back to Cabelas for a P3 and have fired thousands of pellets since. What they say about the O-rings is completely true!!! PLEASE, don't bother with the knock off.

The P3 shoots .177 lead at around 400FPS per manuf. specs. At close ranges it is accurate and will one hole targets all day long.

I use easy to get Gamo Match Diablo and Gamo Hunter pellets. The Hunter pellets are the most accurate close in, but further away the GMD are better in my case. (I've tried several to see what it liked best.) Do not use the Raptor pellets. For some reason they don't like to even go into the barrel.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Just read your post again. :whack: I see you got the P17. I hope you have better luck than I did.:thumbsup:

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    this thing is pretty badass and its freakin huge! when the safety is on it will fire but only dryfire without C02, flip it off and its gassed up & ready. it has a great feel with the blowback action.
    DSC00463.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom