• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    If she is open to logical, fact-based arguments (I know, she has an XX chromosome, so may not be possible), you can show real data for the increased value of machine guns as an investment. This site is fantastic.

http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/price_guides.html

They can be a good investment. I bought mine to shoot and enjoy. The appreciation is a nice side benefit. I've never lost $ on a transferrable full auto.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The #1 Method - Be of a certain age, such that you bought in the 1980's and 90's .

#2 - Be wealthy enough that you regularly spend that much on your various toys on a regular basis .

#2.5 - Instead of buying a 2021 pickup or muscle car , buy a 2010 , and spend the difference on a machine gun .

#3 - Sell or trade a big pile of " normal" firearms .

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The #1 Method - Be of a certain age, such that you bought in the 1980's and 90's .

#2 - Be wealthy enough that you regularly spend that much on your various toys on a regular basis .

#2.5 - Instead of buying a 2021 pickup or muscle car , buy a 2010 , and spend the difference on a machine gun .

#3 - Sell or trade a big pile of " normal" firearms .

#4 - just convert your AS-007 to full auto. You can do it with a soda can tab and a jewelers' screwdriver... ridiculously easy.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    All true but a machine gun is as solid of an investment as one can get so be sure to push that too. There is a finite amount and every year there sadly becomes less and less due to outside factors. IMO from an investment stand point it’s like a bond. It’ll only go up (for the most part)

I'm not a stranger to investing in tangibles, but the thought that the registry could be re-opened, dropping the value of these guns by 90% overnight, always gave me pause.

I admit that there are some that would not be so severely impacted, being old and generally unobtainable - original Thompsons come to mind - but the newer and less iconic stuff would take a big hit.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    If you work for someone, have the maximum amount of taxes deducted from your paycheck each pay period. At the end of the year, put your tax return in a bank account dedicated to your machine gun purchase. Depending on your income, you could buy a Thompson in 5 or 10 years.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    #4 - just convert your AS-007 to full auto. You can do it with a soda can tab and a jewelers' screwdriver... ridiculously easy.

*****I read about that mod in our AS-007 verified owners thread and was going through so much ammunition after that mod, probably because like an idiot I had left the rotating mini gatling gun attachment with backpack loaded feeder belts installed versus the normal drum mag and Potassium enhanced banana mags.

I am SO thankful Ammo Jon gave me the exceedingly helpful tip about using the tweezers from a standard Victorinox Champion Swiss Army knife in tandem with the soda can tab mod to convert full auto to burst fire with the normal freedom finger tab. It really helps cut down on recoil induced muzzle rise when not using target tracking cartridges.

Once ammo gets a bit cheaper I'll go back to full auto, but for now burst tweezer fire saves me some $$$ that I can invest in other stuff I like. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• AS007.jpg
      AS007.jpg
      23.5 KB · Views: 160

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Anyone who bought before about 2000 did pretty well. I remember the days when you could pick up a Vector Uzi for $3K. Today...$12K would be a place to start the bidding.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Sometimes it pays to be older. Here's a friend's 1985 price list that he kept. Before FOPA in 1986, prices were MUCH lower. Yes, they were higher than their semi-auto cousins but not ridiculous. I was buying Chicom AK's at the time for $300 and around $1200 for a Chinese SVD (NDM-86).

Note item 4 (circled). That's this rifle:

It's one of the first batch of 300 AR-15's built by colt in 1959. It's still unfired (NIB). In fact, I don't think it's ever even been disassembled. How many of the initial batch do you think are still unfired in 2021? At auction today, I would expect it to fetch at least 70K and maybe more. Look at the "MINT" m16 prices.....under 1K. They weren't much more than a semi auto because you could buy a semi and convert it legally. Nobody much cared about this stuff back then. I remember lots of older guys looking at me funny and asking why I wanted all that "modern military crap." People were collecting Civil War stuff, muskets and Krag's. Even WWII German stuff was still pretty cheap but it was just starting to take off and guys who were collecting could see the handwriting on the wall.

Stuff like this is why I cannot for the life of me understand people nickel and diming the prices of new stuff that comes out; "if it was 50 bucks cheaper", or "3K for an SP5!?! Only a fool would pay that!!"

I just buy it and grin because I understand that you buy it NOW or regret not buying it later. I've lived by that motto all my collecting life and it's NEVER let me down. Todays "overpriced" this or that will be the tomorrow's "grail gun". It's better than money the bank and it's one hell of an investment if you educate yourself and buy smart.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Not to preach, but let me cite one more example. Even though it's not a MG, it drives the point above home. I paid 8K for this new when most guys on the various forums I frequent were making fun of people who were buying. Some were literally laughing at the price FN was asking. Go look at what they are selling for on GB now and FN hasn't officially discontinued it yet although they have stopped production. Watch what happens to the price once it's official. Now, it's the owners who are the ones laughing.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not to preach, but let me cite one more example. Even though it's not a MG, it drives the point above home. I paid 8K for this new when most guys on the various forums I frequent were making fun of people who were buying. Some were literally laughing at the price FN was asking. Go look at what they are selling for on GB now and FN hasn't officially discontinued it yet although they have stopped production. Watch what happens to the price once it's official. Now, it's the owners who are the ones laughing.

You, my friend, are a top tier collector. I once again doff my cap to you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Famous Last Words by me include :

Hell No , I'm not going to spend no $3,000 for no Thompson or ( Actual H&K) MP-5 .

I did give serious thought to a then produced Mk 760 , but decided to not spend the $ 795 MSRP .

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You’re a smart dude.

Took me 2 years to buy it but i shoved $200 out of every paycheck into an envelope in my safe. After 2 years i walked into a jeweler and dropped 11K on my wife’s ring. Five year plan and you got yourself a pew pew pew.

That was honestly the most disciplined I’ve ever been with physical cash and GD did i wanna buy a boat!!!!!!

In all seriousness; this^^ Fiscal discipline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom