• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just throw all your spare change in a jar for, oh say about 70 years, and you'll have saved enough. Other ideas include day trading.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You’re a smart dude.

Took me 2 years to buy it but i shoved $200 out of every paycheck into an envelope in my safe. After 2 years i walked into a jeweler and dropped 11K on my wife’s ring. Five year plan and you got yourself a pew pew pew.

That was honestly the most disciplined I’ve ever been with physical cash and GD did i wanna buy a boat!!!!!!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You’re a smart dude.

Took me 2 years to buy it but i shoved $200 out of every paycheck into an envelope in my safe. After 2 years i walked into a jeweler and dropped 11K on my wife’s ring. Five year plan and you got yourself a pew pew pew

I sold a rifle partially to pay for my wife's ring. But fortunately thanks to a friend in the business the 8k ring at Smyth cost me $2600 from another source. So it didn't take me as long to get it handled.

So I did legitimately bring this subject up with my skinny brunette wife boss last night. She's damned supportive of my hobbies, I have free reign to do as I want cause she knows I won't do anything irresponsible. But this would be a hell of a hill to climb to convince her based on her reaction. And she isn't wrong, that's more than enough to buy a nice family mobile or pay a giant piece of the mortgage or go somewhere for an experience (she's in to vacations, I am not).

So I guess beyond the mere monetary component there's the spousal buy in component.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I sold a rifle partially to pay for my wife's ring. But fortunately thanks to a friend in the business the 8k ring at Smyth cost me $2600 from another source. So it didn't take me as long to get it handled.

So I did legitimately bring this subject up with my skinny brunette wife boss last night. She's damned supportive of my hobbies, I have free reign to do as I want cause she knows I won't do anything irresponsible. But this would be a hell of a hill to climb to convince her based on her reaction. And she isn't wrong, that's more than enough to buy a nice family mobile or pay a giant piece of the mortgage or go somewhere for an experience (she's in to vacations, I am not).

So I guess beyond the mere monetary component there's the spousal buy in component.

All true but a machine gun is as solid of an investment as one can get so be sure to push that too. There is a finite amount and every year there sadly becomes less and less due to outside factors. IMO from an investment stand point it’s like a bond. It’ll only go up (for the most part)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    She has said that when ammo gets back to normal we will be investing in that. She didn't believe me about its volatility then COVID happened.

Her old man taught her good money sense.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    All true but a machine gun is as solid of an investment as one can get so be sure to push that too. There is a finite amount and every year there sadly becomes less and less due to outside factors. IMO from an investment stand point it’s like a bond. It’ll only go up (for the most part)

****I'd love to be party to listening in on the conversation with a spouse (perhaps not really into guns..) regarding spending, say $20-$30k of household money to buy a machine gun:

"For the home! a home machine gun! Yes, I know it SOUNDS crazy but LOTS of people are doing it now on MDS!!! Here honey, read this thread!" :lol:, and then proceed to show the value of an M-16 lower back in 1983 or so, mebbe some magazine articles from the day, and then!!!! show current values for machine guns, with mebbe a graph or two (or a pie chart if the wife likes pie..) of the dramatic increases in price, etc.. Also, mebbe show stock market returns, but mebbe pick dates like increases from 2008-2013 ish when the market tanked a bit (a lot) and then show how much better machine guns did during that time up to now... :thumbsup:

I'm thinking after using those stats lots of spouses will be all over spending that kind of money on what will probably mostly be a safe queen, versus funding little Nellie's or Nelson's 529 plan or braces for the kids ("The kid's teeth aren't THAT crooked!!! Nelson can eat an apple through a chain link fence right now!!!")

I'm actually just kidding about all of the above, but I've seen the returns on various NFA "investments", and after running numbers - if something is affordable to you without your son looking like Bucky the Apple Chomper there's probably worse things you could spend your money on, but there are many many investments that over the same time horizon would do better, and provide things like dividends and tax advantages in perpetuity, and without the hassle of storage, theft, insurance, etc... that a Ma Deuce or Thompson, etc.. would have.

Attachments

• crash.png
      crash.png
      15.8 KB · Views: 199
    • Bucky.jpg
      Bucky.jpg
      130 KB · Views: 190

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    She has said that when ammo gets back to normal we will be investing in that. She didn't believe me about its volatility then COVID happened.

Her old man taught her good money sense.

It was a good investment :)

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I know it's been mentioned before, but don't forget to budget for ammo. No matter what caliber, they are ammo black holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom