• ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Building the wall...

fdc54cdeb03e103c7dbef59554c5e0e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems silly.

Probably cheaper to buy a bidet or stop eating food from the Chinese food dumpster.

I am a family of 4 and that would last us 6 years

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This seems silly.

Probably cheaper to buy a bidet or stop eating food from the Chinese food dumpster.

I am a family of 4 and that would last us 6 years

As I told a young gun owner a few years back during the last panic, when he asked why I needed a literal closet full of ammo, “How much is enough, if you can’t buy any more?”

So maybe not quite the same, tho the canned food shelves downstairs are similarly stacked. My goal is to never get caught short again. If we never added to this TP collection, I’m guessing it would last six months max.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    As I told a young gun owner a few years back during the last panic, when he asked why I needed a literal closet full of ammo, “How much is enough, if you can’t buy any more?”

So maybe not quite the same, tho the canned food shelves downstairs are similarly stacked. My goal is to never get caught short again. If we never added to this TP collection, I’m guessing it would last six months max.

Holy crap literally! You think all that would only last 6 months?

Did you start the “poop knife” Reddit?

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    one of my many hobbies is soap making.
    just got a truck load of supplies in today.
    might not be essential, but at least they won't smell me.

D:cool:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    LOL, so I just did some math and maybe you’re right. Maybe two years...

I mean I’m glad your family is stocked up but you had me worried you only fed them delicious pretzels and lard with that 6 months comment lol.

Huge fan of the bidet. My family only buys minimal tp now, and we love it.

Yup we’ve got two a Toto and i forget the other brand. I like the Toto better.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Btw, when ordering KN95 respirators, look for this certification ...

GB 2626-2006
    GB 2626-2019

The Chinese sell KN90, KN95, and KN100 respirators under those certifications. The material barrier that they use in KN90 filters at least 90% of small particles, KN95 filters at least 95% of small particles, etc.

Often they will have *both* KN95 and the certification stamps on the mask. If only KN95 is stamped on the mask, and there is no certification certificate in the box with GB 2626-2006 or GB 2626-2019, it is likely being dumped on this and other markets taking advantage of deceptive labeling.

Very commonly there are sellers of "KN95" masks that will have the GB 32610-2016 certification inside. These are called "Disposable Daily protective masks" in the Chinese markets. They are sold in cities with high levels of pollution and smog. They are in fact also used to mitigate respiratory virus spread, but in China they are not allowed to be advertised as KN95 (even if they purport to use the same materials). They also explicitly say that they are not meant for use in ICUs, medical settings, etc. They likely offer better protection than rectangular surgical and cloth masks. When US researchers have evaluated GB 32610-2016 masks, they see anything from 35-80% filtration. There can be class A, B, C, and D versions of this standard, with class A offering better filtration, but most being sold in the US are not at this standard.

Here are examples of what appear to be authentic KN95 respirators (GB 2626-2006 or GB 2626-2019 certification) ...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0882TV6JM

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087M2T7NP (these have jumped up in price since last week)

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08JQN25FR/

Btw, there is a recent WSJ article with information about US cloth mask manufacturers that are achieving 95% filtration of small particles with filter inserts. I'll hunt it down later and post some details.

Eta: fake KN95 on the left, certified KN95 on the right ...

fcc2f79b1b59e2cf6fbaf18b62902bd7.jpg
    f599f47e691c774b87e61a477cd0e4cc.jpg

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    US N95 mask alternatives ...

New Face Masks Relieve Pressure on N95 Supplies
    By Austen Hufford, WSJ

Manufacturers are introducing face masks for general use that they say offer more protection than cloth coverings without taxing supplies of the N95 masks used in hospitals.

These mask makers said many of the new models coming to market are more protective than cloth masks but don’t reach the level of protection provided by N95s, which stop at least 95% of very small particles with a sophisticated filter and a snug fit to the face.

The new masks are designed to fill what makers call a hole in the medical-gear market as Covid-19 cases surge—something for nonmedical people worried about exposure in their day-to-day lives. Manufacturers say their new masks follow recommendations from public health authorities and typically include a combination of reusable layers and a replaceable filter.

Despite big increases in domestic production, N95s have been in short supply since the pandemic began. The new surge in cases is putting fresh strain on U.S. stockpiles of a critical piece of equipment for doctors and nurses treating patients with Covid-19.

The new masks aimed at everyday consumers aren’t subjected to the same federal certification process as N95s intended for medical workers. Getting certified to produce N95s is a long and rigorous process, manufacturers said. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has approved about 20 additional makers of N95s and similar products this year, according to the agency, increasing the number of certified companies around the world by about one-third.

Honeywell International Inc., which is making 20 million N95s a month for medical workers, recently started selling a new mask aimed at the general public that the company says offers more protection than plain cloth. The $30 mask has two layers of polyester, nylon and spandex woven together and comes with 12 replaceable filters made out of polypropylene, which is the main filtering material in standard N95s. Will Lange, who runs Honeywell’s personal protective equipment business, said the Charlotte, N.C.-based conglomerate aimed to combine the comfort of a cloth mask with protection near what an N95 affords.

“We tried to combine the best of both worlds,” he said.

Some officials and medical experts are encouraging people to wear masks that offer more protection than simple cloth.

Hampton, N.H.-based Sleepnet Corp., which makes masks for people with sleep apnea, also sells a reusable N95-style mask that was designed only to protect the wearer during work on dusty construction sites or home-improvement projects. ... People have been buying the masks to protect against the coronavirus, so Sleepnet this month started selling a plug for the valve that prevents droplets that could contain the virus from being exhaled out of the mask.

Keith Layson bought a cloth mask online when the virus began spreading across the U.S. earlier this year. He said he found it uncomfortable and hard to breathe through. This summer the Tacoma, Wash.-based salesman bought a polyester mask with insertable filters produced by alpine gear maker Outdoor Research LLC. Mr. Layson said he bought it because he knew the company, recently approved as an N95 maker, had added medical-grade masks to its normal product line of high-quality mountain-climbing gear.

ThermoPore Materials Corp. secured government approval in September to make a new type of N95 that uses a different filtration material than the standard polypropylene, which has been in short supply.

There is more information and other manufacturers in the article.

Here are some of the vendors mentioned above ...

https://www.honeywellstore.com/stor...dual-layer-face-cover-dark-gray-rws-50111.htm
    https://www.honeywellstore.com/stor...ual-layer-face-cover-light-gray-rws-50107.htm

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/adrenaline-sports-face-mask-kit-285932?search_result=1
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/face-mask-kit-283298?search_result=1

https://envomask.com/

https://www.formnfit.com/ (not available yet)

The Outdoor Research (OR) ones look nice. They make durable backcountry gear as well.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    No worries. It’s all good.

It’s an interesting issue. TP is sold by number of squares (Per roll), not number of wipes.

Preppers get that. Just like number of servings or number of calories.

Lots of metrics in the preparedness world. You just brought something else to light. I’m not thinking many folks been scoping out the tube size on the TP rolls. I know I haven’t.

I was kinda hoping the little blue square packets of shit tickets were never gonna be in my future again... Now I’m gonna watch the tube size with a weather eye.

Thanks.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    No worries. It’s all good.

I was kinda hoping the little blue square packets of shit tickets were never gonna be in my future again... Now I’m gonna watch the tube size with a weather eye.

Thanks.

if there is anything that i can do to keep folks focused on the important tasks of life, then it was a good day.

hehe

D:cool:

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Lots of metrics in the preparedness world. You just brought something else to light. I’m not thinking many folks been scoping out the tube size on the TP rolls. I know I haven’t.

Thanks.

I used to have industrial rolls with like NO center hole, just enough to get a rod into /or through the material. but I have not used them in several years.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom