• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My firehouse in Cockeysville is undertaking a program to reconfigure our first floor. As part of this, we will need to move our master patch panel from its current room to another room. We cannot keep the panel in its current spot, and there is no slack in the lines to move the lines.

So I think we are probably going to need to have the cabling redone, which would also be a good chance to upgrade to CAT6.

I'm looking to get 3 quotes to sub this out. I could do it myself, but it would take a lot of time, and the committee suggested subbing it out to a company that could do it in a day instead of me doing it piecemeal.

All of the network cables is run on the walls via plastic channels and not in the brick.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I just had two large jobs completed by sunrise solutions out of Annapolis. I was happy with their work.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Vision Technologies out of Glen Burnie, BoMark out of Hampstead, Dynacon out of Pasadena (they will probably be the cheapest but are a small shop)

If you want I can swing by this weekend and take a look for free and give you guys and idea of what to expect.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Bigger shops have advantages, they will be around so if you ever need warranty work they are there, material prices are lower especially on premium brands. Little shops jobs like this are usually in their wheelhouse, they can give you a quote and have short turn around time, small shops come and go though. I recommend going premium brand like a hitachi cable and hubble jacks, or Siemon and general cable, Panduit and General, maybe see what Berk-Tek cable and Leviton jacks will run you. CAT6 cabling should cost about 175 to 225 a cable there abouts. You can get much cheaper but it is usually off shore junk. My shop is much too large to give an effective price. My sell price on CAT6 cable is about $250 per 1000ft, single jack and face plate is about $8, and 48 port patch panel is $350, the plastic raceway should be about $2 dollars a foot. Most small shops will charge $45-60 per hour labor.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I use Orion Communications in Rockville to do my my cabling. They are at my Rockville location right now adding a new section. They do great work.
    www.orincomm.com

They were purchased by a larger company last year but remain the same and their emails are still the same.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    whatever you do do NOT use Kalothia... Crapothia. Terrible. We had to redo most of their "work" Data port number 5 with a voice port number 111 with it. huh??? total fail.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Allegheny Industries.
    Right across the street from Lou45.

Why not proposed spec Cat8?

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Yer still using cables?

<someone was gonna say it sooner or later, this time I get to be that guy>

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Yer still using cables?

Network cabling is 5 times more reliable than wireless, more secure, and much faster too.

We still install wireless for business clients, but only for convenience and for guests.

All workstations and peripherals are wired.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Network cabling is 5 times more reliable than wireless, more secure, and much faster too.

We still install wireless for business clients, but only for convenience and for guests.

All workstations and peripherals are wired.

Do you have a source for the "5"? :)

I used to use the wired connection on my desk but since they have upgraded the wireless it is more stable and faster.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Do you have a source for the "5"? :)

I used to use the wired connection on my desk but since they have upgraded the wireless it is more stable and faster.

19 years experience as owner of an IT company with as many as 8 employees.

I have 87 tickets from users accidentally switching the wireless hardware switch off, alone.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Wireless is great for an augment to a wired system and as a backup. 10 years ago wireless was nice but now with all the stuff people have that hits wireless, phones, tablets, computers, in a office environment it would not be uncommon to see 20 things connected to one AP at one time. Don't get me wrong I recommend wireless for areas that are hard to access for hard wire connections and cost to run a cable the last 20-30 feet is cost prohibitive if there is a existing cable nearby and the area will have very few things needing connectivity. With the new power standard for POE coming online, cabling for wireless is going to get expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom