• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    ... I just discovered Gun Broker. This won't be good for my wallet.

On the upside, I did just purchase an unopened, immaculate tuna can of Mosin Chow for .69/rd with free shipping. The tuna can is more for a "conversation piece" than for shooting.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    .69/rd!?!?!?

:shocked:

Well I'm sure that's not as good as pre-panic prices but I'm finding it on ammoseek for .74-ish/rd and as high as $2.00/rd for some fancy domestic brass match grade stuff.

There are many tuna cans available ranging from $259 - $400 for 440 rounds.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    .69/rd!?!?!?

Maybe they're individually signed by Sergei Mosin?

Well I'm sure that's not as good as pre-panic prices but I'm finding it on ammoseek for .74-ish/rd and as high as $2.00/rd for some fancy domestic brass match grade stuff.

If you just found gunbroker, I don't blame you. If that's the current going rate than so be it. Our incredulity is based on the fact that stuff was a fraction of that price for years and not that long ago.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

I guess the days of spam cans for $79.95 Are long gone. :sad20:

Just like I saw mosins for sale for $495 this past summer, and thought those were crazy high prices.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Gunbroker is really hit or miss. Sometimes you can find a nice milsurp for fair market value. Other times, and it happens quite often, a bidding war starts for a real beat up firearm. I spent a month or two looking for a takedown winchester 1897. Almost every time, the bidding would go on for hours after it ended adding another $200+ to the price. I'm not spending 1k on a 100+yr old shotgun, I assume people were buying these just for the "trench gun" aesthetic. Just be patient if bidding on firearms. And don't even look for primers or ammo...

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Maybe they're individually signed by Sergei Mosin?

If you just found gunbroker, I don't blame you. If that's the current going rate than so be it. Our incredulity is based on the fact that stuff was a fraction of that price for years and not that long ago.

The other problem, is that I'm trying to build up a stash before ammunition background checks come into force. I'm buying from the convenient location of my keyboard. Soon, I'll be driving to VA/WVA and schlepping it back.

Did I mention that it was free shipping? :lol2:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Just like I saw mosins for sale for $495 this past summer, and thought those were crazy high prices.

Run of the mill wartime round-receiver 91/30s with poor wood and poor bores were going for $475 all day long at York yesterday. I actually saw people buy them at that price.

The kicker though, that almost gave me a heart attack, was seeing someone buy a Type 53 for $455. I guess Mao himself carried that one?

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Yup, it's a lousy time for me to become interested in recreational shooting and collecting. On the upside, my boss just handed me my pay raise statement.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The other problem, is that I'm trying to build up a stash before ammunition background checks come into force. I'm buying from the convenient location of my keyboard. Soon, I'll be driving to VA/WVA and schlepping it back.

Yeah it is hard. That said, the good news is that bill doesn't look likely to pass this session. No companion bill in the senate and it is a couple of weeks past the cross file deadline. So the only way it can make it is with serious shenanigans. Keep in mind if you've got an HQL or C&R the bill wouldn't apply to you (and for the nay sayers, the vast majority of sites will ship to other states that require permits to purchase, just have to email or attach a copy of your relevant document to your order or to your account).

Downside, likely ammo prices and availability are going to take several years to recover once they START to recover. Which doesn't look like it has happened yet. I doubt we will start to see a recovery until the fall. I think with improving weather more guys will get out shooting and get that much more desperate for anything to shoot. I think it is going to take the pandemic improving by fall, cold weather coming in so less guys getting out to shoot and HOPEFULLY enough guys feeling like they are sitting on enough ammo with the tens of thousands of rounds they have. Then availability wills start going up as demand softens and prices will start coming down eventually.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan

Submit testimony against the ammo background check so it never becomes law. The date to submit is 2/26. The more the merrier!!

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.

Yep. B-i-L and I were discussing past purchases a week or so ago. I went down to the bunker and to check my stockpile found I had 6 Crates of 54R, 2 cans per. I went and checked online prices and nearly shit myself at current pricing. Glad KeepShooting was in my life back then.:party29:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Keep in mind if you've got an HQL or C&R the bill wouldn't apply to you

You're saying that ammo background checks won't apply to people with an HQL? I'm retired military. I'm told that I'm exempt from needing an HQL. That means I won't have to do the background check if it becomes law?

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    You're saying that ammo background checks won't apply to people with an HQL? I'm retired military. I'm told that I'm exempt from needing an HQL. That means I won't have to do the background check if it becomes law?

Look at what happened in California. Their background check law killed mail order ammo. So I may not directly impact your ability to purchase, based on your background but it will have a chilling effect on everyone, exempt or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom