Need recommendations for a second amendment attorney.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A friend of mine had a misdemeanor distribution charge back in the mid-1980s. He recently applied for and was denied his hql even though he has never been denied through NICS. According to everything that he has read and shared with me the charge was expunged and should not still show up on the Maryland judicial watch site however it does. I'm not taking sides because I'm not a hundred percent sure I'm getting the full truth but I told him I would try to find a decent 2A attorney for him. He has to go before the administrative hearings Court to try to convince them to allow him to have his hql. I have physically been in gun stores on multiple occasions with him where he purchase long guns with no problems. So I'm looking for names and phone numbers please. Thank you in advance

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I know people who were never denied through NICS, but they should have been, because MD did not submit records (its a 90s thing, I think). Then discovered the error recently. "What do you mean I am a prohibited person".

There is a lot of fine print what can and cannot be expunged, after what time period. Lawyers also make statements like "can be expunged after x" which may not be true, and the client may assume that the process is automatic. Sometimes lawyers forget to file paperwork too, or did not get paid.

Your friend may need more than a 2A attorney.

blueharford

May 6, 2020
    Harford County, MD
    If it was expunged, when he applies for the HQL he should attach his expungement. Same thing happened to me but I attached the expungement and everything went through fine.

Ncic is different then Msp. Find out why he got denied, if it’s from the expunged charge, have him send the expungement papers to Msp and they will fix his application

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Agree he should attach, email and certify mail copy of expungement and follow up with phone calls. I know 2 people who went through this in the past year. One was from a bad check back in 1965 and it was just sitting there until he pressured them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Both judicial search and his court papers from 1984 say misdemeanor. And he has expungement papers. He needs a new attorney since his last one is now deceased. He might as well get one that specializes in the issue at hand..now can I please get a name or two?

Ed Hershon, in Annapolis. He is a member here in the boards.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Thank you. He may not win, but he believes he is right enough to hire the kind of attorney for this..and so much so that he's willing to give up his guns if he loses.. He knows what is at stake

give up the guns? just bury them somewhere.

shall not be infringed.

blueharford

May 6, 2020
    Harford County, MD
    Both judicial search and his court papers from 1984 say misdemeanor. And he has expungement papers. He needs a new attorney since his last one is now deceased. He might as well get one that specializes in the issue at hand..now can I please get a name or two?

That’s impossible, if it was expunged it would t be on case search anymore. First thing that happens when it is expunged after the judge signs the paper is they delete it from case search, then they hide records for 3 years before destroying the files.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It says right in the Judicial Watch web page misdemeanor

If you can see the charge on Maryland Case Search, it has NOT been expunged. Expunged means it is taken off of Maryland Case Search and the only people that can see it are law enforcement and the judiciary. Expunged means most of the records are destroyed or sealed. I cannot even get a case file from the Clerk after I have had it expunged for a client.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I think he my have only had one of the steps done. If it was distribution I believe he could have needed a sentence modification done first. Did you see and read these “expungement papers”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom