• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The best coffee preps are those you’ve been making over the past several years.

I’ve got several approaches. I always take the good instant at hotels when I stay. I’ve got literally hundreds of sleeves that I bought a little at a time over the years...think Starbucks VIA but sourced online and much cheaper. I prefer the Vietnamese coffees and blends. Indonesia also has some good stuff. For cheap, try Bustelo tubes of instant.

For all you mainliners, look up Stok. Think the small creamer containers you see in a diner or at McDs and then think two shots of pure coffee caffeine in each container. They are available by the case...a couple hundred in each case.

Don’t forget your additives; creamer, sugar, blue, pink or yellow. (I laid in some outstanding SA hot chocolate in a tube for Mocha. No sense being F ing miserable. It will be a really nice treat if and when...)

Lastly, good tea stores MUCH BETTER than coffee beans and at least as well as instant. I added lots of that too.

While on the subject, don’t forget plenty of good old fashioned caffeine. No Doz, etc. That shit may be gold if you’re trying to stay awake when you really need not to sleep.

Lastly, this logic train takes me to sleep aides like Melatonin. Might want to lay in a bunch of them too.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have about 10lbs green coffee I rotate through, but green coffee will last years and years if stored properly. I may try to increase the on hand amount now. Worse case it’s roasting in a pan over a fire and hand grinding or mortar pestle.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I recently switched to a pour over approach and quite like it
    f35470b503509fe8b1c0af15687ccdaf.jpg

Far less bitter for some reason than the drip coffee made in the cuisanart carafe my wife uses.

Can eyeball the coffee::water ratio if needed. I weigh on a kitchen scale and Tare before /after adding coarse ground coffee

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Wow Huckleberry? Chill.

I drink a cup a day, maybe. Hipster?

Some people drink whiskeys , smoke cigars, etc. Let a man enjoy what they enjoy.

Maybe if we all vote for Bernie, you can be head of coffee rations.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I recently switched to a pour over approach and quite like it
    f35470b503509fe8b1c0af15687ccdaf.jpg

Far less bitter for some reason than the drip coffee made in the cuisanart carafe my wife uses.

Can eyeball the coffee::water ratio if needed. I weigh on a kitchen scale and Tare before /after adding coarse ground coffee

Look at the science of coffee. Quite amazing. The bitterness you are losing could be many things: water temp, filter, bean and roast, time...find what you like and lock it in!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Those who are addicted to coffee should start researching and learning about coffee substitutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute
    The Native American people of what is now the Southeastern United States brewed a ceremonial drink containing caffeine, "asi", or the "black drink", from the roasted leaves and stems of Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon holly).[7] European colonists adopted this beverage as a coffee-substitute, which they called "cassina".[8]

In Quebec, the seeds of the black locust were historically used as a coffee substitute, before the stem borer decimated populations of the tree.[citation needed]

A coffee substitute from ground, roasted chickpeas was mentioned by a German writer in 1793.[5]

Dandelion coffee is attested as early as the 1830s in North America.[9]

The drink brewed from ground, roasted chicory root has no caffeine, but is dark and tastes much like coffee. It was used as a medicinal tea before coffee was introduced to Europe. Use of chicory as a coffee substitute became widespread in France early in the 19th century due to coffee shortages resulting from the Continental Blockade. It was used during the American Civil War in Louisiana, and remains popular in New Orleans.[10] Chicory mixed with coffee is also popular in South India, and is known as Indian filter coffee.

Postum is an instant type of coffee substitute made from roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. It reached its height of popularity in the United States during World War II when coffee was sharply rationed.
    Grain coffee and other substitutes can be made by roasting or decocting various organic substances.

Some ingredients used include almond, acorn, asparagus, malted barley, beechnut, beetroot, carrot, chicory root, corn, soybeans, cottonseed, dandelion root (see dandelion coffee), fig, roasted garbanzo beans,[5] lupinus, boiled-down molasses, okra seed, pea, persimmon seed, potato peel,[6] rye, sassafras pits, sweet potato, wheat bran.

Another substitute is from the Kentucky coffeetree (Gymnocladus dioicus).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_coffeetree

But easiest for Maryland may be chicory. Lots of Common chicory, (Cichorium intybus), grows wild around here so learn what it looks like.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    For those who like to support a veteran owned company Black Rifle Coffee they have a special going order two bags of coffee and get a free mug or order two mugs and get a free bag of coffee, they added a bunch of new mugs, Ordered a camo Woobie, coffee/Mug for me and a coffee/mug for my “ COV-19 stuck home inside gift for my son”

They also have a lot of those pour over and coffee making accessories!

www.blackriflecoffee.com

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    For those who like to support a veteran owned company Black Rifle Coffee they have a special going order two bags of coffee and get a free mug or order two mugs and get a free bag of coffee, they added a bunch of new mugs, Ordered a camo Woobie, coffee/Mug for me and a coffee/mug for my “ COV-19 stuck home inside gift for my son”

www.blackriflecoffee.com
    Yesterday I ordered two bags and a nug and sent them to my daughter and son-in-law who are Marines stationed in Okinawa. Nice little care package...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

www.blackriflecoffee.com

Hipster coffee.

Too bad that grenade coffee mug isn't a freebie. Too too bad it is like a $30 mug!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Wow Huckleberry? Chill.

I drink a cup a day, maybe. Hipster?

Some people drink whiskeys , smoke cigars, etc. Let a man enjoy what they enjoy.

Maybe if we all vote for Bernie, you can be head of coffee rations.

Don't know what the fock you're talking about? I just said that this recent individual pour over or french press fad is due to hipsters.

Gee, did my mere words and opinion hurt you? Please tell me what that is like to be hurt by words.

You Hipsters are a sensitive lot. Where did I say anything about whiskey, tobacco or Bernie? Oh, you've got nothing else but a weak ass ad hominem attack so you need to pull things ROYA. I'm sorry. I didn't notice.

I love BRC especially their dark roast but it is too expensive for my usual 3-5 cup/day habit and no, that's not 6 oz cups. I prefer it for more sociable times.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Must not drink much. Or enough.

I drink plenty.

I just prefer to keep my money in my own Veteran pocket instead of giving it to BRC or any other over priced Veteran owned coffee, beer or T-Shirt company. I don't believe in waving Old Glory to generate sales. That's my Veteran earned POV.

I value my opinion over what any body that's thinks they're some influencer, trendsetter or hipster.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Try an AeroPress

[EDIT] no need to microwave or measure temperature of the water - just heat to an off boil. Pour in your coffee and water and plunge.

[EDIT 2] Never mind the You Tubes; Not a good fit for the preppers forum :) Still, the AeroPress still works well for coffee in an austere environment.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    why do feel some pulp fiction shit going on here lol:lol:.. "I know my coffee is good because I buy it....what I want to know Jules is there a sign on my lawn that says "Dead Liberal Storage":D

It was either that or when I was telling Dave Kujan about picking coffee in Guatemala, that we would pick the beans right off the trees and roast them right there. That coffee was good but this coffee is shit but hey, we were in a police station :D

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    3 pounds of Black Rifle and same of Kicking Horse in reserve. Manual grinder and a backup, just in case. Percolator, just 'cause.

Attachments

• IMAG0566 copy.jpg
      IMAG0566 copy.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 167

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom