• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Cleaning...? That's why I shoot Glocks and ARs. Just add some oil :).

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Well when I started this thread I failed to mention some of the range day details.. I took a handgun FNS9, Ruger PC9, Ruger 10/22, and a CZ457 17HMR. 50 rounds through the FNS9 because I suck at shooting it. 100 rounds in the PC9. That was much more fun to shoot. About 200 rounds through the 10/22 which is below average for me. I usually shoot 400+ because it's fun and cheap. And 75 rounds through my CZ which was really fun. I think that is my new favorite gun. Total tack driver. Dimes at 50yds. and half dollars at 100yrds. I'm getting better every time I shoot that beast. When I take my AR I'm good for about 200 rounds depending on what else I brought. So that's about 450-500 rounds a day. I think those numbers could go either way for a light cleaning. I always seems to get a lot of yuck on my mops and patches and towels.

Sounds like a fairly solid range trip regardless of rounds per gun. I still would've cleaned them all in my OCD. The PC9 would have gotten a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning. They seem to get disproportionately dirty relative to other guns, or at least mine seems to.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    I have Mom clean guns for me.

iu

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I don't mind cleaning guns. The thing that makes it a pain for me right now is i don't have a place to do it or to store the supplies. If I had a bench or table to work on and a place to store and organize the stuff it would be a breeze but that won't be possible until I get out of this apartment.

A four foot folding table like https://www.staples.com/Staples-4-F...4_Mym44janfCaPsajRDQLDGaAww0H_GhoCZbwQAvD_BwE

And a plastic tool box similar to https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...LuosYU1Fc5OC6dLQ8KxoCgvsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can do the trick. Easy to clean and stores almost anywhere.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have Mom clean guns for me.

iu

:thumbsup:

Also, I don't belive anyone who has said they like cleaning guns or it's relaxing. Not a single one of you has offered to clean *my* guns for extra fun/relaxation. Also, my fridge toilet and dishes need to be cleaned and you must love plumbing and diapers.

You are lying. Probably to yourself.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Has the Sharp Shoot R brands Wipe-Out or Patch-Out solvents fallen out of favor? I miss glass bottles of Hoppes #9 with the benzene and other good stuff.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    :thumbsup:

Also, I don't belive anyone who has said they like cleaning guns or it's relaxing. Not a single one of you has offered to clean *my* guns for extra fun/relaxation. Also, my fridge toilet and dishes need to be cleaned and you must love plumbing and diapers.

You are lying. Probably to yourself.

Nope.

Cleaning toilets and washing dishes is NOT relaxing.

Working with almost any kind of machinery is. Decades ago I used to do all of my own vehicle maintenance because I was a junior enlisted person and had a family and no money. Now I could easily pay someone to do it, but I do it for fun because I work in a secure lab with no windows most of the day, so working with my hands instead of my head is a nice break.

When I was a kid I used to take things apart and put them back together for no reason. Sometimes I still do. That's most of the 'work' involved in cleaning a firearm.

Changing oil, brake pads or cleaning firearms is a relaxing weekend afternoon.

I'll volunteer to clean yours if you let me borrow them. It'll be extra fun/relaxation after I shoot them. ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in my youth , I liked cleaning guns . Even now , it's not bad , I'm just expressing more realism about how much and how often is necessary , along the lines of more guns prematurely worn from over cleaning than from shooting .

But I'll bite . If you have something new and interesting * to me * that I haven't encountered before , I'll clean it ( and take it pretty far apart to see how it ticks ) .

Dishes , toilets , etc are begrudgingly necessary , not fun to clean . Plumbing often seems interesting beforehand , but not after Murphy strikes part way thru .

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Hah, i enjoy the cleaning part of a range trip as well. (yes i do camo556 ). For me it was part of the time i spent with my father growing up. I've had my grands doing it with me now.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For many firearm types simply throw a soft clean wood block on the floor - range deck and have a Work/ cleaning rod handy.
    Place the arm, muzzle down on the block and wipe/ clear bore as necessary. Look into the breach- prevent crown damage- have your maintenance done without causing unnecessary wear or damage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are your guns, so do what you like.

I have observed and worked on countless firearms damaged or worn badly by owners "cleaning" them. Some people cause damage from excessive disassembly/reassembly. Some do it from improper disassembly/reassembly. Many under lubricate, use tools that cause damage, etching chemicals, scrapers or abrasives.

Can't go wrong by cleaning your firearms after shooting. I always do. I like mine kept in tip top shape.

Hmmm, really?

MANY highly qualified gunsmiths have said the same thing. That guns are more damaged by over cleaning than any other cause.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    People overclean bores and pay too little attention to proper lubrication of the action. Clean the bore when groups start opening up. Just foam in some wipe out, let it drip out of the muzzle onto something like a paper plate/paper towels for a couple hours, then run some patches with a good rod from chamber to bore until they come out clean. Repeat if necessary, but actual time spent cleaning is negligible...most is you off doing something else while the Wipeout does its thing.

Meanwhile, just wiping down the action to remove most of the crud and then lubing with some kind of halfway decent lube is good enough. Eezox or rust prevent on anything outside that may rust for storage.

Scrubbing them spotless every range trip just isn't needed. You then need to refoul the bore again before getting back to consistent shots. Once the groups open up again, repeat cleaning.

Agreed.

I shoot, I wipe down with a light oil or silicone cloth to prevent fingerprint rusting.

I clean when needed.

When I shot USPSA a lot, I would go thousands of rounds between cleaning my comp pistol. I shot a 3 day carbine course with one of my ARs. Over 1500 rounds. No cleaning. Still have not cleaned it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Try Berrymans Carb Cleaner. Comes in a gallon paint container with a dip basket inside. You can find it at the auto parts store or Amazon.

Soak the baffles in it overnight.

Don't use it in enclosed spaces.

Would that work in the ultrasonic cleaner too?

I wouldn't try it. The odor leads me to suspect its flammable.

Berryman CHEM-DIP CARBURETOR & PARTS CLEANER is NOT flammable. It is water based.

Berryman PROFESSIONAL CHEM-DIP CARBURETOR & PARTS CLEANER is not flammable, but is mostly methylene chloride and can react with aluminum. The reaction creates a highly flammable gas.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well when I started this thread I failed to mention some of the range day details.. I took a handgun FNS9, Ruger PC9, Ruger 10/22, and a CZ457 17HMR. 50 rounds through the FNS9 because I suck at shooting it. 100 rounds in the PC9. That was much more fun to shoot. About 200 rounds through the 10/22 which is below average for me. I usually shoot 400+ because it's fun and cheap. And 75 rounds through my CZ which was really fun. I think that is my new favorite gun. Total tack driver. Dimes at 50yds. and half dollars at 100yrds. I'm getting better every time I shoot that beast. When I take my AR I'm good for about 200 rounds depending on what else I brought. So that's about 450-500 rounds a day. I think those numbers could go either way for a light cleaning. I always seems to get a lot of yuck on my mops and patches and towels.

Try not cleaning them, keep an accurate count of rounds fired. And see how long they go without NEEDING to be cleaned. I am sure you will be surprised.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    The worst is going hunting in the rain and never firing your gun and still having to clean it after the hunt.

I think this is one of the few times it makes sense to clean and lube a gun.

I am surprised when people won't test fire a gun before going hunting. Nothing worse than getting up early, sitting around for hours and when you finally get a chance to take a deer...nothing. So much can happen between disassembly, cleaning and reassembly.

Same with a gun for personal defense. Even more critical.

KarbinkleRich

Mar 2, 2021
    After reading through this thread I've concluded I'm cleaning my guns way too much. I tend to clean guns after about putting 100 rounds through them. I find pistols pretty fast to clean though. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I bought a carbon rod from tipton and a brass tip for cleaning my AR15, and I have so much trouble getting the rod through with pads that are meant for it. I end up starting by pushing the barrel down on the rod and then moving the barrel so it's perpendicular to the floor along with the rod, then pushing the rod through, because otherwise the pad usually slips off of the brass tip (even if the cloth pad is penetrated). I must be doing something wrong. I get lazy cleaning my mossberg 500 though but I also don't really put many rounds through it.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    I was a compulsive cleaner. Field strip after every match, and once a month full disassembly.

This stopped after I found out I cracked my firing pin sleeve in my G17. It was obvious the repeat pressing down the sleeve to set off the firing pin spring cracked the plastic sleeve. It’s a 2 dollar part that I kept on hand and did not effect any function, but clearly an over cleaning mistake I did to myself.

Now I have a good reason to be lazy, I only do a field wipe down and oil most of the time after I shot any animal brand Russian ammo that maybe corrosive or using berdan primer. If I got paid and got American ammo on my hand, most the time I only lube up the oil points after!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom