• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I just picked up a new DPMS 308 AR and got the irons sighted in at the range. So now in in the market for a scope to go on it. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it under $1k so I can actually afford to use it. Once I have it long enough and determine I'm a good enough shot with it to warrant, I'll upgrade in a few years.

So what's a good mag range and any preferred scopes that work well for a 308 AR?

Thanks!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Kinda depends on what you wanna do with it. I have a leupold vxr 1.25-4x on a 16"bbl dpms 308 and I really like it for fast target acquisition and the 4x is plenty for deer hunting and plinking . If you have one of the longer barrel variants or intended to shoot for tiny groups at longer ranges a nikon m308 is worth a look.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto. Otherwise you put the same scope you would on a bolt .308. Just depends on how far you want to shoot. My bolt gun is for longer range shooting so I have a 6-24x50 tactical on it. If not wanting to hit something at 1000y then a 4-14x or a 3-12x might be enough. I am thinking about getting a DPMS Recon 308 myself. I actually have a 4-14x44 that is not being used (in was on the bolt gun) that I would put on it. If I did not I would consider one of the new Bushnell AR Optics 3-12x scopes ($190 at WM) or a Nikon.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sorry, should have been a little more specific. Mainly curious what would be a good mag range for 400-800 yard work and if there are any specific brands that have worked well (or I guess more importantly which scopes to avoid).

I used scope when I hunted with my dad when I was younger, but that was 25 years ago. Since then it's basically been all military iron sights for me except for the RDS I put on my .556 AR.

I've been reading up I all the scope specs, and I would like to find one that is mil dot graduated and, if possible for my price range, 1st focal plane with target turrets.

Thanks again everyone.

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    It has been said before "Buy once, cry once." I would go with NightForce, Leupold, USO or Vortex Razor. Some of these are outside your $1k budget but if you are shooting 800yds you need good glass. With that said make sure you have a good mount as well.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Nightforce would be my first choice but it is beyond your noted price point.

I shot an AR 10 Super SASS belonging to a friend with his Nightforce mounted on it. The next day I ordered the same optic.

If your shooting out to 700 to 1000 yards the zero stop feature is a must have.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    It has been said before "Buy once, cry once." I would go with NightForce, Leupold, USO or Vortex Razor. Some of these are outside your $1k budget but if you are shooting 800yds you need good glass. With that said make sure you have a good mount as well.

I agree with the BOCO rule, but that means that I wait and additional x number of months before I even start practicing with a scope.

That being said, I may just have to save up for a NightForce anyhow as I've heard great things about them.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Nightforce would be my first choice but it is beyond your noted price point.

I shot an AR 10 Super SASS belonging to a friend with his Nightforce mounted on it. The next day I ordered the same optic.

If your shooting out to 700 to 1000 yards the zero stop feature is a must have.

Which model?

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    I just got this from SWFA for a really good deal as a Demo-A. Shipped in 3 days. It's got the exact same ergonomics as the 6-24x50 and is FFP. Really like it so far.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x32-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P60984.aspx

FOV is not too bad.

Demo units from SWFA: http://www.samplelist.com/

This is a decent option; However, IMHO a used Nightforce for $400 might be better. I completely understand being strapped for cash and still wanting to shoot though too. Not an easy decision my friend...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Under $1K I would put a Vortec Viper PST 6-24x on it. First Focal Plane is $949, SFP is $849. I prefer FFP.

Love mine on my .30-8 bolt gun.

www.sportoptics.com are good to deal with.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Under $1K I would put a Vortec Viper PST 6-24x on it. First Focal Plane is $949, SFP is $849. I prefer FFP.

Love mine on my .30-8 bolt gun.

www.sportoptics.com are good to deal with.

I have this scope on my bolt gun as well, but the eye relief isn't generous. How is this on an AR10? I have yet to purcahse a scope for mine either, 24" stainless brl, so long range for sure.

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I have the Sightron s3 10-50 x 60 on my target gun. I'm happy with it for sure
    Just looking for other options.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Which DPMS LR308 did you buy? You mentioned iron sights so I'm guessing its either the 16" carbine or the 20" Classic.

If its the AP4 carbine you'll probably want a 1-4x.

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Which DPMS LR308 did you buy? You mentioned iron sights so I'm guessing its either the 16" carbine or the 20" Classic.

If its the AP4 carbine you'll probably want a 1-4x.

I would want more than 4x for 800 yds, I mean it is doable but more magnification would make things a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom