• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Is Utah CCW course considered firearm training exemption for MD? I am thinking of doing Utah CCW class.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    No, but if you already own a regulated firearm (i.e., a handgun), have completed a hunter safety course, are LEO, or are former military, you are training exempt. If none of those apply to you, several of the IPs on MDS offer Utah as an add on to HQL. I teach at IP Tyler Firearms/Arimus Training and they offer it as an add-on for $50 (https://arimustraining.com/courses.php?id=27).

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    "but if you already own a regulated firearm". Yes, I do but my situation is different. I moved to Maryland from Michigan back in 2008. I did not have to register my handguns. If I claim exemption now, they have no record of that since the handguns are registered in Michigan back in 2000. Would that work and do I have to prove that I can have exemption?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Wish I can claim exemption on my ROTC training. I was in it for 2 years in college.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Just buy a stripped AR15 lower. No HQL needed. Once it has been transferred to you it can be use as the exemption.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Th MD statute doesn't limit the exemption to MD purchased firearm. it simply states "owns a regulated firearm."

The online app simply asks for make and serial number. You are GTG.

See statute 5-117.1

Attachments

• hql.jpg
      hql.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 874

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is post #3 asking would it be accepted by MSP ? Or stating that he did not care to volunteer that information ?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I don't want to volunteer the information. However, Mini14Tac alerted me to the best choice. Thank you all!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You could also buy a C&R eligible handgun (all such are HQL exempt), and provide its serial number as the "regulated firearm" you already own.

Any handgun at least 50 years old is eligible, as well as a few newer ones.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    3 choices

1. Get the HQL based on your ownership of a regulated firearm. no money expended.
    2. Buy an AR lower fill out the 77r and be in the MD system anyway and be out the money for the lower.
    3.Take the HQL training. money unneceissarily spent IMO

so which is worse, being out the money and being in the system anyway because you bought the lower?

#1 seems like the best choice to keep the money in your pocket. no.. 2 and 3 will get you in the MSP system anyway.

all they have is the gun and serial number in the HQL database. seems less of a hassle than 2 or 3

my .02

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #1 won't put his specific previously owned firearm(s) into the Md system. Worthwhile tradeoff ? Up to OP to decide.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Why not go with option 1, spend no money other than the HQL fee, and still not be in the 77r system?

Just because you list a serial number and a Model doesn't really register it like a purchase would.

Am I missing something here?

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    While I am against gun registration on principle- there are no secrets. If someone (with the power of .gov behind them) sets their sights on any one of us, they can find out all they need to know. That we come here to MDS. That we buy stuff, order stuff online, if you took your phone with you to a gun store, to the range, they can see you were there, and they know you are clearly a shooter.

I put in a serial# for the exemption to get my HQL, but it was a gun MSP already knows about, so meh....

My wife put in the serial# of a pistol she acquired when she lived in PA, worked fine. I suppose they could have checked with PA to verify, but I doubt it and not sure if it would be possible. Certainly there are some states where it's not possible to verify because they don't track/ retain that info.

We have since moved to PA, she bought a new pistol Saturday, cash and carry. Hell yeah.
    Got carry permits. 5 min to go apply, 5 min to pick it up 2 weeks later. 20 bucks altogether.

Never coming back! Well, except to visit now and then.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    While I am against gun registration on principle- there are no secrets. If someone (with the power of .gov behind them) sets their sights on any one of us, they can find out all they need to know. That we come here to MDS. That we buy stuff, order stuff online, if you took your phone with you to a gun store, to the range, they can see you were there, and they know you are clearly a shooter.

I put in a serial# for the exemption to get my HQL, but it was a gun MSP already knows about, so meh....

My wife put in the serial# of a pistol she acquired when she lived in PA, worked fine. I suppose they could have checked with PA to verify, but I doubt it and not sure if it would be possible. Certainly there are some states where it's not possible to verify because they don't track/ retain that info.

We have since moved to PA, she bought a new pistol Saturday, cash and carry. Hell yeah.
    Got carry permits. 5 min to go apply, 5 min to pick it up 2 weeks later. 20 bucks altogether.

Never coming back! Well, except to visit now and then.

Lucky.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    You are right. I don't need to take it to the extreme about keeping my information out of the system. I just do it in principle. You give the government an inch and they take a yard. When was the last time your tax rate goes down by itself? They can always raise tax and make more regulation. However, they won't do the reverse.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You are right. I don't need to take it to the extreme about keeping my information out of the system. I just do it in principle. You give the government an inch and they take a yard. When was the last time your tax rate goes down by itself? They can always raise tax and make more regulation. However, they won't do the reverse.

If you are rich? Most times republicans get a majority. Then they go up later because they didn't actually cut spending to match the loss in revenue and the deficit (local/state/federal) gets bad or the state/city starts to go bankrupt. Or was that a rhetorical question? :D

Of course Dems just increase spending and taxes at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom