What are the best/most common calibers for reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Best Pistol Rounds? 10mm
    Common Pistol Rounds? 9mm
    Best Revolver Rounds? .45 Colt
    Common Revolver Rounds? .38 Special
    Best Rifle Rounds? 7mm-08
    Common Rifle Rounds? .223

Jim

medic762

Dec 9, 2010
    Washington County
    I know what rounds are "common", but in terms of reloading efficiency and availability of dies,etc... Which are easiest to find? I don't know much about reloading yet, but if I were to start what would be easiest/most efficient calibers to reload from a reloading standpoint?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    OIC. .38 Specials/.357 Magnums, 9mms, 45 ACP/Colt, .40 S&W/10mm, I could go on. The problem with the common calibers listed (except the .40/10) are components can be hard to find when there's a rush on the market. During the great Panic of 08, finding primers and bullets for the common calibers was borderline impossible. If you're just getting into reloading, start with straight wall pistol calibers. Lots of info/recipes out there. Then work on bottle neck cartridges.

Jim

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    #1 Dies sales from RCBS is the 30-06 Spgfld. It is there top seller - so that should tell you the popularity of the cartridge. 223 is very popular - and to be honest Im surprised its not RCBS's top die sales.

I think 45 ACP is there top selling pistol die set.

40 S&W requires very important attention when reloading. Many load manuals state to make sure the cartridge is fully supported in the firearm to avoid case bulging and possible rupture. There seems to be an issue with some manufacturers of 40 S&W pistols not fully supporting the case. If you have one, and want to reload it - they suggest contacting the manufacturer - to see if that is the case - or have a compitent gunsmith check to see that it does.

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    There are very few cartridges you can buy ammo for at the average gun shop or big box store that you will have difficulty finding dies for. Now the cost of some dies is insane such as the .408 Cheytac with run about $300 a set.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    #1 Dies sales from RCBS is the 30-06 Spgfld. It is there top seller - so that should tell you the popularity of the cartridge. 223 is very popular - and to be honest Im surprised its not RCBS's top die sales.

Been around 105 years and I'll bet the farm it will be around for another 100. If it ain't broke, don't fuch with it. The 06 will do anything you like in N. America with bullets from 90 to 220 grains. Yes, with heavier bullets it does better than the 308.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Depends on what rifle/pistols you have on hand or are interested in purchasing. For a definitive answer, search around on the web to see what primers, brass, bullets, powder, and/or molds for casting your own bullet (As well as equipment (Press, dies, etc..) for reloading). Some brass is very dear right now, but might not be in 6 months or so.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Been around 105 years and I'll bet the farm it will be around for another 100. If it ain't broke, don't fuch with it. The 06 will do anything you like in N. America with bullets from 90 to 220 grains. Yes, with heavier bullets it does better than the 308.

I agree with you 100%. I love the 30-06, and is one of my favorites to reload & shoot. I dont think there is as vesatile rifle round as the 06!

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    40 S&W requires very important attention when reloading. Many load manuals state to make sure the cartridge is fully supported in the firearm to avoid case bulging and possible rupture. There seems to be an issue with some manufacturers of 40 S&W pistols not fully supporting the case. If you have one, and want to reload it - they suggest contacting the manufacturer - to see if that is the case - or have a compitent gunsmith check to see that it does.

lee bulge buster fixes that problem.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I agree with you 100%. I love the 30-06, and is one of my favorites to reload & shoot. I dont think there is as vesatile rifle round as the 06!

You said yourself it's the #1 rifle die sold, numbers don't lie. Will others do a certain job better? Sure, BUT will they do ALL the jobs as good...........probably not. Will a Weatherby out preform it, sure but that's not the most practical round to be buying at 2 bucks a shot either. Ballistic fact, it does better with heavier bullets than a 308. If it weren't for needing shorter actions in full auto's the 308 probably would never have been contrived.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    you need only worry about what to load when you have something to load ofr. Then load for that, as you obtain more weapons of different calibers you can load for them if you want.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    As others have said, you can obtain dies for just about anything made and even not made if you buy on line. The scarcity factor comes into play in the components particularly the brass if you want to reload something odd ball or even slightly hard to find. Many brass choices are only made once a year in prelude for hunting season such as .30-40 Krag. Other than that, if you are reloading something with the Berdan priming system. A great many bullet diameters are shared by multiple calibers so that is the least of your worries.

By dies for something "not made", I mean that you can have dies made to your specification.

I wouldn't base my choice of firearm on the ability to reload it unless I was only going to have one rifle, one handgun, etc. and then I'd stick with the most commercially available.

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    reloadin'

38 Special easy to load for . Bullets,dies,brass readily availible. Load it mild with wadcutters,load it a bit stouter with SWC or jacketed hollowpoints.Inherently accurate.
    45 ACP/Auto Rim also popular,easy to load.
    45 Colt one of our favorites,easy to load for,wide range of bullets.Loves lead bullets !
    Cannot go wrong with a 30'06 ,lots of data,brass still around,watch your case length and you are ok.
    9mm popular,but can give indifferent results unless you are careful.
    Always liked the 22 Hornet. Very easy to load and get good results.Cases sometimes short life with "hot"loads. Started loading it with a LEE old style handloader and dippers for powder. Dime size groups at 100yards with little effort.Looking for another Hornet someday.....................

www.bulletmen.com

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dies for anything ever made are a click away. Notwithstanding supply and demand temporary shortages boxer brass for anything vaguely popular is available.

It's easier to mention the problematic ones. Unless you are specifically into historical accuraccy the .44-40 and .38-40 will have colasped neck and caselike issues compares to strieght walled cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom