• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I had my interview for my CCW today. I am in the category of "Assumed Risk". I have a high level clearance; victim of OPM 2015 breach, etc. None of that was disputed in the interview. However - because I work for a small company that is basically run out of my boss's home, MSP wants proof my company exists. Ok - but look at this list demands - and they told me JUST THE DAY BEFORE they wanted these:

1. My last 3 pays stubs (ok - not happy but I provided)
    2. Articles of Incorporation (ok - that makes some sense)
    3. Six recent deposit slips (why?)
    4. Past three months of recent bank statements (why?)

What is reasonable for MSP to ask for to "prove" your employer exists.

Any suggestions on how to avoid items 3 and 4? Not sure my boss is going to go along with this. Thought I would do a little research before going further.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That sounds like a lazy list copied/pasted by someone at MSP that is confused and thinks YOU own the business and do the banking. Where is the business organized/incorporated? If it's in MD, you can visit the MD gubmint web site and obtain proof that the business exists and is in good standing ... I know that the LD did that when checking out my businesses, and we actually uncovered a gubmint error on my records while we were at it.

I would respond with a request for clarification that they understand you are not the business owner.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I had a concealed permit back in the 1980s when I was an owner in a business. I had to do all that. They want to see deposit slips to verify you carry large amounts of money in the course of your position. The banks statements don't make a lot of sense but maybe it's due to fears of large cash deposits in your personal accounts which could be a tipoff to being involved in illegal activities. Comparing your pay stubs to your bank statements could find something that doesn't seem right.

My application was approved but I'm still convinced it was more due to my references...the County Sheriff, a Deputy Sheriff who worked part-time for us and another CCW holder.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That sounds like a lazy list copied/pasted by someone at MSP that is confused and thinks YOU own the business and do the banking. Where is the business organized/incorporated? If it's in MD, you can visit the MD gubmint web site and obtain proof that the business exists and is in good standing ... I know that the LD did that when checking out my businesses, and we actually uncovered a gubmint error on my records while we were at it.

I would respond with a request for clarification that they understand you are not the business owner.

I asked the interviewer point blank about that. He told me that the company appeared to be some house in a suburb and wanted proof it exists because of people submitting false applications.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I asked the interviewer point blank about that. He told me that the company appeared to be some house in a suburb and wanted proof it exists because of people submitting false applications.

Yeah, well, I'm TWO businesses that are in a house in a suburb. But then, they wanted tax documents from me to back up my narrative, so who knows if they cared about the "home" in Home Office or not.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wow what a buncha crap. who cares where you work and for whom. you're trying to protect your life and that of your family and as long as you have a clean background, there should be no other caveats. sorry you guys have to go thru this crap, and from the sound of it, mostly unsuccessfully.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I had my interview for my CCW today. I am in the category of "Assumed Risk". I have a high level clearance; victim of OPM 2015 breach, etc. None of that was disputed in the interview. However - because I work for a small company that is basically run out of my boss's home, MSP wants proof my company exists. Ok - but look at this list demands - and they told me JUST THE DAY BEFORE they wanted these:

1. My last 3 pays stubs (ok - not happy but I provided)
    2. Articles of Incorporation (ok - that makes some sense)
    3. Six recent deposit slips (why?)
    4. Past three months of recent bank statements (why?)

What is reasonable for MSP to ask for to "prove" your employer exists.

Any suggestions on how to avoid items 3 and 4? Not sure my boss is going to go along with this. Thought I would do a little research before going further.

How are the two highlighted issues even relevant to one another? I assume the G&S is for the former? If the G&S is dependent on your employment, doesn't your employer have to write and ask you get the permit? If so, then they'd probably give you 3 & 4 on list.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How are the two highlighted issues even relevant to one another? I assume the G&S is for the former? If the G&S is dependent on your employment, doesn't your employer have to write and ask you get the permit? If so, then they'd probably give you 3 & 4 on list.

I was told the concern is the possibility of a fraudulent application. He actually used the term "fraudulent application".

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I believe that the overwhelming majority of the companies I've worked for since about 1980 have been based in "some house in a suburb."

People who have spent their careers working for huge, bloated organizations, whether private corporations or government agencies (military, police, or civil) can be entirely clueless and out of touch with how the real world works.

That's why the Swamp cannot comprehend Trump.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I guess what I will do is talk to my boss about the Articles of Incorporation (which I am sure is no big deal) and see what is considered legal proof of existence of the company. I will then very politely ask if that will suffice. He can only say no. I don't even know if we use "deposit slips"; it is possible everything is done electronically.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't mean to borrow trouble; but I hope this is not just some way to slow these kinds of requests as people in my situation realize they can apply for a CCW, and there are a lot of us.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Oh - and my company did provide a letter stating I have the clearances, etc, etc.

Even more remarkable; I have a co-worker that applied for his CCW using the same paperwork and he was approved. No additional paperwork was required.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So I guess what I will do is talk to my boss about the Articles of Incorporation (which I am sure is no big deal) and see what is considered legal proof of existence of the company. I will then very politely ask if that will suffice. He can only say no. I don't even know if we use "deposit slips"; it is possible everything is done electronically.

Whatever state incorporated in, lets assume Maryland.. you can get the proof you need online. https://egov.maryland.gov/BusinessExpress/EntitySearch

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Don't you think they want your deposit slips and not those of the company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think it should be a great concern that MSP can ask for ANY documentation about your employer, to include sensitive financial records, no matter how difficult to obtain, when it really has nothing to to with "Assumed Risk".

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Depending on who you are dealing with at MSP, they may be trying to help you, but not clearly communicating. Shoot me a private message, and I can give you more details. The investigator I worked with at MSP was very fair and very helpful.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back during the days of the 365 , they weren't all Police Ofc , some were Contract Investigators .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That’s what I was going to post.

I can’t believe they can’t do this.

Maybe when you apply you should ask them to prove they’re a police officer.

That's true - how do I know the guy was not an impersonator :rolleyes:

Yeah - the company was incorporated out of state but I was able to find what I needed. As for the deposit slips and bank statements ... well that's a whole other thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom