• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I'm thinking about adding my first Sig to my collection. The purpose of the gun will most likely be every day carry, but could also be competition (IDPA).

I regularly, happily carried a Glock 19 until I acquired a Glock 43. Now I typically carry the Glock 43 because of its convenient size, and my research shows the overwhelming majority of self defense incidents don't require 16 rounds.

Legion, 229, something else... ? What do you recommend I look at, and why?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Well, this is a tough one. Sig has many different pistols. The Legion line is dolled up. The frame gets some mods, medium beavertail,undercut trigger guard, and thin grips. To me, the 229 is the best size. 3.9" barrel and 15 rounds.
    I'd look for a 229 SAS. That is not made now. It gets the de-horned or carry melt. It's a Custom shop job. They're a few on GB. There is even a 229 carry that is 3.5" barrel.
    Next would be a 320. I would get exactly the X-Carry one. Or, the X series grip module for a standard 320 carry. That grip changes the 320 for me. The 320 has a ton of options. I like that one.

After that, they have a few oddball offerings. What caliber were you wanting to go with? 9mm I guessing? Sig is known as a DA/SA maker. So with that in mind. You are looking at mostly that type action.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I would look at the new Sig 225A1. I have the original 225. It is reliable, accurate, and slim. The D/A is too heavy. Hopefully, lighter on the new one.
    I believe the 225A1 replaced the 239? since the 239 was discontinued.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    If you are thinking compitition and carry, consider getting a p320 x-carry as the primary gun. You can then transfer the registered fire control unit into a compact or subcompact grip and frame which conceal well.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    This guy is nice. A decent value too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190105-085810_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20190105-085810_Chrome.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 539

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    For carry - Sig has multiple options starting with the p365 (known it have issues), p238, p938, p225, p229 and various models of the p320 (probably others). Heck some folks conceal a p220 and p226 but that's just nuts. Since you want a dual purpose, carry and IDPA, for the most part that rules some of these out (in my opinion). For a dual role you want a slightly larger and thus either the p229 or p320 (whether regular or x-carry as a poster listed above).

So given both requirements - I'd suggest a p229 and p320 (likely X-carry). For p229, I'd probably look at the M11-A1 variant (which is a 229 but per old naming was a p228). For that model they remove the sharp edges. Sig used to make a p229 SAS which was perfect but they've discontinued. For the p320, I like the X-Carry and there's a number of pro's to that as well. The length of the X-Carry is just about the same as a G19, but with a much better grip (both length and angle). For me, I prefer a metal frame but to each their own. I have a number of Sigs including the p229 and the X-Carry. Chances are, you won't stop at one...

So why not the p225? It's more or less the same size as the p229 but a single stack. If that doesn't bother you, the p225 with wood grips is a beautiful and a great shooter...

Lots of choices and there's really no wrong answers. As a Sig nut myself, with several exceptions, Sig does a fantastic job with everything they do...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I carry a P229, with 18 round P228 magazines for 9mm with absolutely no issues. I use it for EDC and have also used it for several steel challenge and bowling pin matches. I haven't as of yet done any IDPA matches, but that is next on my to do list.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For shooting, the Legion series is phenomenal. I don't think you can go wrong with the Legion 229. That said if you're going to carry it every day, the M11-a1 might be a better choice. Either way both are fine guns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Love my P225. ( Not a surplus P6 , but a civillan P225 .)Unlike an earlier poster, it has the best DA/SA trigger I've used on a semi . And I like, and recomend , full size single stacks .

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    While most shootings don't require more than three rounds, I have never heard anyone who said they regretted having too much ammunition.

It sounds like you are moving to something smaller rather than larger. I don't think there is much difference between the P226 and P229. I've carried both. The P229 has been on my hip for 15+ years and it is fine. The P320/P250 are interesting because you can swap sizes easily and keep the identical trigger. My preference is the DAO P250, just because I like a hammer over striker. If I want a striker, I carry a Glock, G27 or G22, but my preference for small carry is my sub compact P250. The long pull trigger on the P250 is reminiscent of my revolver days, only the trigger is much smoother than any revolver I've carried.

SIG and HK handguns are a bit on the overpriced side of the market, IMO. While they are good guns and well made, they don't perform any better and they are no more reliable than Glock, IMO.

My only real suggestion is look for a police trade-in after you have shot a few of your potential choices. Let friends know what you are looking for and see if anyone is willing to let you put a few magazines through their pistol. I firmly believe that no one can choose a firearm for another person. What works for me, works for me. The only wrong answer is choosing something that doesn't work for you.

Be safe.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    While most shootings don't require more than three rounds, I have never heard anyone who said they regretted having too much ammunition.

It sounds like you are moving to something smaller rather than larger. I don't think there is much difference between the P226 and P229. I've carried both. The P229 has been on my hip for 15+ years and it is fine. The P320/P250 are interesting because you can swap sizes easily and keep the identical trigger. My preference is the DAO P250, just because I like a hammer over striker. If I want a striker, I carry a Glock, G27 or G22, but my preference for small carry is my sub compact P250. The long pull trigger on the P250 is reminiscent of my revolver days, only the trigger is much smoother than any revolver I've carried.

SIG and HK handguns are a bit on the overpriced side of the market, IMO. While they are good guns and well made, they don't perform any better and they are no more reliable than Glock, IMO.

My only real suggestion is look for a police trade-in after you have shot a few of your potential choices. Let friends know what you are looking for and see if anyone is willing to let you put a few magazines through their pistol. I firmly believe that no one can choose a firearm for another person. What works for me, works for me. The only wrong answer is choosing something that doesn't work for you.

Be safe.
    Agree with much of this and thought is well said. Reading this string i am thinking, “ sig for concealedcarry?” I have a 220 and a 226 and they are great guns but big and heavy for carry. Great for range games. I handled a well priced used 229/357 sig today and passed. Just too heavy. Thick. Have been looking for a 239 in 357 but while not as thick, still heavy. Today i was carrying a G33 in an owb kydex on a gun belt under a sweater and yesterday a shield 9 and these are the outside limit of comfort for me. And i’m thinking i am not police or military and don’t need 15 rds when i can carry 10 at reduced weight. My friend carries the new 225 and raves about it. I have shot it and admire the trigger. And like sigs. Is it better than a G26, 19? A shield? Probably not. I have not fired the sig polymers, like the 320.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Any Sig is a good Sig to own. I have 20+ year old guns as well as less then a year guns and they all shoot better than I do and they work. I mainly have the P series plus some of the 1911 series. Buy one and enjoy, Chris.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Pass on anything Sig and striker fired. The issues in the p365 and p320 and the issues they had with the p250 prove Sig hasn't got strikers figured out yet. Besides, for a striker gun there are much better offerings with much more aftermarket for Glock, s&w and Springer.

That said, I love hammer fired Sig's. The legion series is worth the money. The p225 is a great carry piece, as is a p220c/p245. Really can't go wrong with any p-series Sig. If you are looking for a cheaper option to get your feet wet, the SP2022 is a great little gun too.

If you want just CCW, the p238 and p938 are good little shooters too.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I bought a Sig 229 with the intent to carry it. Had it on the belt one day and decided to move on. It is simply not a good let alone great gun for CCW. Mine in specific had the E2 grips which are nasty digging into your skin. The beaver tail doesn't help CCW either. I realize they make different models of the 229 but at the end of the day it's a heavy thing to tote around.

It is my favorite gun I own though with all that being said. If I was hung on on getting a Sig to carry it would be the 365. Other wise just about every comparison model offered is better.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Good guy on another forum I frequent. It's on the roster and if I didn't have my 43 I'd be all over it.

Unfortunately Reducing my handgun numbers due to job loss. The first 2 have sold and I'm going to try and move 1-2 more. Selling to help cushion the blow a little.

BNIB SW Shield 2.0 with integrated CT Laser
    Black
    9 mm
    2 mags 1 6 round flush, 1 7 round ext.
    White 3 Dot Sights
    Integrated Crimson Trace Red Laser
    Box, lock, papers etc
    Nice trigger
    Manual Safety

$319.00 Shipped Free to Your ffl.

Make sure they will accept from an individual.

Payment by PayPal (preferred) or USPS MO.

Contact by PM, text at 256-577-7207 email: austinnewton@bellsouth.net
    Thanks for looking and God Bless!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I love Sigs but if you are going to get only one and want it as an EDC and for IDPA and the like for me it would be the 320.

The metal Sigs are heavy and for some it's not a big deal for EDC but when was the last time you saw anyone at an IDPA match shooting one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom