• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    If he is feeling faint, maybe he should not put himself in the RBG position and leave soon.

At least tRump could appoint someone of a similar judicial leaning as opposed to a possible dem in January 2021

He's at home. That's a very good sign - not tubed up at a hospital. I don't think he does RBG's workout regime, though. He won't last as long as she has. Hopefully Trump's got a very specific, very ready to go pack of nominees ready, and McConnell is ready to usher them through the process post haste in case of trouble.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I assume the time limits for oral arguments remain the same so now both sides have more to argue without additional time. They better not waste time on some things so they can cover all their main arguments.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I assume the time limits for oral arguments remain the same so now both sides have more to argue without additional time. They better not waste time on some things so they can cover all their main arguments.

That was my thoughts, if NY spends all their time on why the case is moot, and doesn’t argue on the case itself, are we better off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

You prepare a statement, but your statement lasts until the first question, and then the knife fight begins.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I underrstand that the current crop of Dem presidential hopefuls is threatening SCOTUS with court-packing (up to a total of 15 justices, all the new ones to be liberals) if the Court chooses to accept and rule on 2A cases.

Of course, they have to get elected first, but someday there will be a Dem POTUS and a Dem Congress, so it's not impossible. However, the sainted FDR tried that and got shot down, so there may be a few legiscritters with integrity in office in that upcoming day. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Men of character seldom run for public office these days.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We’ve already had a pack of senators (including at least one recent POTUS hopeful) get together and submit an amicus brief that was a completely unsubtle direct threat to “cure” the court of its bad trend towards taking the constitution into account while ruling.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I remember SCOTUSblog remarking on a case or two where the advocates were allowed to go almost uninterrupted, so you must be prepared to speak the entire time just in case.

NY's case is so thin, absent the mootness issue, they'd better bring along some old phone books to read aloud in case they need to fill their time.:D

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    What do our legal eagles think what SCOTUS has said so far when they came out with the orders?

The Oct. 7 order denying the Suggestion of Mootness but informing the parties to be prepared to discuss at argument means that the Court has carried the question of mootness with the case. Which means that the Oct. 7 order is a punt. Mootness is still on the table. And it is a close question.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The problem with mooting the case is the near-certainty that NYS will change the laws back the instant SCOTUS drops the case. I could see the case being mooted with an injunction against that.

Or SCOTUS could just rule. Were I a liberal, I might be inclined to take that route...mostly because this case is so egregious that any ruling will inevitably be pretty narrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom