• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    Hello all and thanks in advance!

Does anyone own one or possibly shot one, could you share your thoughts on iy.

Thanks again

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Everyone called the Glock 36 the red-headed step child of The Glock family but I have one and I like it a lot. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard too many complaints from those who own them. The grip is a little wider than most single stack .45s but not uncomfortable. If you have remarkably small hands you might not like it. If I didn't just pick up a Springfield XDs single stack 45, I may have considered another Glock 36 or Glock 30sf.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I've put thousands of rounds through my 36 and it has yet to fail. You can hide it anywhere which makes it a perfect CCW. If you like Glocks, you’ll love the 36 and if you don’t like Glocks, well maybe you should buy a nice 1911!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I have a Glock 36; it's my first Glock and first .45 ACP. After spending about 6 months of research looking for a high quality .45 suitable for carry, everything pointed to the Glock 36, so I bought a new one about 2 years ago and never regretted it. It's a pleasure to shoot, extremely accurate, easy to maintain and has been fail-proof. I got some extra mags and added the Pearce extenders-eliminates pinky pinch and adds some extra rounds without losing concealability. Overall, a great CC gun.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a Glock 36; it's my first Glock and first .45 ACP. After spending about 6 months of research looking for a high quality .45 suitable for carry, everything pointed to the Glock 36, so I bought a new one about 2 years ago and never regretted it. It's a pleasure to shoot, extremely accurate, easy to maintain and has been fail-proof. I got some extra mags and added the Pearce extenders-eliminates pinky pinch and adds some extra rounds without losing concealability. Overall, a great CC gun.

How's the pierce +1 working for you? I use the +0 because the last round with the +1 fails to feed with the stock spring.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I had one for years. Shot it a bit, not too much. Sold it. After about a year of not having one I had to get another.

I'm very happy I did. It's a wonderful little gun. Sure it's snappy, but less than a G27. It's very accurate, and in ccw friendly states it serves a practical purpose.

I'll never be without one again.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    I find my Glock 36 a bit too large for summertime pocket carry but as soon as the weather gets cooler it is good to go:

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Personally, I'm not a fan. It's essentially the same size as a Glock 19, and I would rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 6 rounds of .45ACP. It's much larger than a G26, and I would still rather have 10/12/+ rounds of 9mm than 6 .45ACP. YMMV.

I'm not saying it's not a nice shooter or reliable handgun... it just wouldn't be my first carry choice.

eventhorizon

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2011
    Arnold
    I have one and love it. Recoil isn't too bad and is very accurate. But do get the Pierce extensions, I use both +0 and +1 to have the extra round and they're great.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    Personally, I'm not a fan. It's essentially the same size as a Glock 19, and I would rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 6 rounds of .45ACP. It's much larger than a G26, and I would still rather have 10/12/+ rounds of 9mm than 6 .45ACP. YMMV.

I'm not saying it's not a nice shooter or reliable handgun... it just wouldn't be my first carry choice.

I have both and they are not the same size. 36 is lower profile and single stack IE much easier to conceal.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I have both and they are not the same size. 36 is lower profile and single stack IE much easier to conceal.

That's why I said "essentially." The width is very similar (1.10 vs 1.18), as is the height (4.76 vs 4.99). The G36 is smaller but not by much. Definitely not enough to justify losing nearly 10 rounds of ammunition. At least in my opinion. But other people don't have to choose their carry piece based on my opinion. That's the beauty of it. :thumbsup:

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    That's why I said "essentially." The width is very similar (1.10 vs 1.18), as is the height (4.76 vs 4.99). The G36 is smaller but not by much. Definitely not enough to justify losing nearly 10 rounds of ammunition. At least in my opinion. But other people don't have to choose their carry piece based on my opinion. That's the beauty of it. :thumbsup:

Agree. Something to also consider is the weight. The 36 is probably close to 4oz lighter, which can make a big difference. We can debate the merits of .45 vs 9mm but like you said, it boils down to personal choice. When I bought the 36, 6+1 seemed like plenty to get me out of most scenarios, but the threat is changing. If I were present for a mass shooting, I might want those extra rounds available w/o having to re-load.

If you use the 36 for high stress drills, you really learn to make your shots count and re-load quickly. I went through the FBI course with mine and had to tactical re-load several times just to make it through the scenario, which added stress and lowered my score. Good discussion.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Agree. Something to also consider is the weight. The 36 is probably close to 4oz lighter, which can make a big difference. We can debate the merits of .45 vs 9mm but like you said, it boils down to personal choice. When I bought the 36, 6+1 seemed like plenty to get me out of most scenarios, but the threat is changing. If I were present for a mass shooting, I might want those extra rounds available w/o having to re-load.

If you use the 36 for high stress drills, you really learn to make your shots count and re-load quickly. I went through the FBI course with mine and had to tactical re-load several times just to make it through the scenario, which added stress and lowered my score. Good discussion.

Good points. Weight is definitely a factor. Also, I believe the G36 began being manufactured in 2000, when there weren't very many smaller single stack .45ACP carry guns on the market. Today, we have more comparable firearms, like the Springfield XDS. So you have to keep the timeframe in mind. Today, if I was going to carry a single stack .45 I would go with the XDS hands down, because that is something that I know I would carry more often than my G19. But 10 years ago? The G36 would have had a LOT of appeal.

All in all, it comes down to preference. A firearm carried is a lot better than a firearm left at home. So if someone wants to carry a G36 and they'll do it frequently, then that's justification enough for me.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom