• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Just got a phone call from a delightful young lady at Del. Schuh's office.

Wonderful conversation about how the Del. is squarely in our corner and how she, as a hunter and shooter herself, fully understands our position and are doing all they can for 2A in Maryland.

It also sounded like--though I didn't ask outright--she was very familiar with MDS and MSI, and that sounded to me like a win.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I'll repost it here.

mike smigiel said:
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I will actually be debating Sen Brian Frosh on his proposed gun bans on MPT tomorrow. It plays at 7:30.

Most conservative 2nd Amend supporters have remained silent outbid [by] fear of seeming insensitive. Unfortunately they are leaving the debate to all the progressives.

I believe the time to speak up in defense of the Constitution is when it is under attack. Please continue to speak out. Write letters to the press come to hearings and call radio programs.

Thanks again for sharing your words of wisdom.

Yours in public service,
    Delegate Michael D. Smigiel, Sr. Sent from my iPhone

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    From Delegate Turner:

"Thank you for contacting me concerning possible legislation to help control
    the proliferation of gun violence.

As you may be aware, I have supported a ban on the sales of assault weapons
    and large capacity magazines and for instant background checks on all gun
    sales and for a ban on carrying concealed weapons.

There will be many bills in January to address the problems stated above.
    The real challenge is how to collect the thousands of assault weapons
    already in circulation and the need to add more state and federal funding to
    mental health issues.

I appreciate hearing your comments and concerns surrounding these many
    difficult issues that need to be addressed.

Best wishes,
    Frank
    Delegate Frank S. Turner"

and my reply:

"Sir;

I had hoped you would take the time to take a look at the information in the
    article."

Note that Turner is for confiscation.

Regards
    Jack

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I forgot to copy the letter and save it. But it was well composed and carefully worded. You certainly must be careful about asking the president to come shoot guns. especially one who believes that more guns=more death.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I forgot to copy the letter and save it. But it was well composed and carefully worded. You certainly must be careful about asking the president to come shoot guns. especially one who believes that more guns=more death.

My suspicion is that al Hawai'i doesn't give a crap one way or the other, personally.

He'd be on whichever side would allow him to collapse the system.

If he thought that allowing widespread ownership and carry would create enough problems that he'd have to send his Civilian Defense Force to the rescue, we'd have universal CC already.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I got one reply back so far and I was pretty shocked. All of my reps are, of course, democrats, since I am in a very liberal area of Baltimore county. I basically said additional "gun control" measures on law abiding citizens were unlikely to fix this issue, but having a "good guy" who was armed in every school, be it an officer or armed and trained CCW permit teachers, would be the best way to address this risk. I also said that we need a better way as a society to address the mental health aspect of the problem.

Here is Sonny Minnick's reply:

"Lauren,
    Thank you for your e-mail on school safety. I have signed on to a bill that will be introduced in the upcoming session sponsored by Delegate Cluster (former Baltimore
    Police officer) that does just what you suggest, a SRO (safety resource Officer) in EVERY school in Maryland. Money for this bill will come from the new gaming bill we passed in the special session. Having said that, there is always the possibly we don't have the votes to get it passed, there are a lot of people looking to pass gun Control legislation, which along with you, I do not agree will help the problem of protecting our schools. Mental Health? A whole new issue not as easily addressed.
    Thanks for your views on the issue.
    Sonny Minnick"

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Just got a phone call from a delightful young lady at Del. Schuh's office.

Wonderful conversation about how the Del. is squarely in our corner and how she, as a hunter and shooter herself, fully understands our position and are doing all they can for 2A in Maryland.

It also sounded like--though I didn't ask outright--she was very familiar with MDS and MSI, and that sounded to me like a win.

Oh, if only I'd get one like this from a PG rep. Hope springs eternal. :innocent0

Mr H

Banana'd
    From Sen. Stone's office...

Thank you for your email on this very important issue. I will give Senator Stone a copy of your correspondence & rest assured, he reads all his emails & will give your views his fullest consideration. As you may already know, Senator Stone supports the right-to-carry. JoAnne, Legislative Assistant

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    From Sen. Stone's office...

Thank you for your email on this very important issue. I will give Senator Stone a copy of your correspondence & rest assured, he reads all his emails & will give your views his fullest consideration. As you may already know, Senator Stone supports the right-to-carry. JoAnne, Legislative Assistant

Just got that same reply. Obviously a form letter, but hey, if he supports right to carry, that's good by me!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Nice to see so many positive responses. A little careful alternative legislation, and we might beat this whole AWB business after all.

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    Heres my letter,
    Hello my name is Crownroyal79

I am writing you today because of my fear of what may happen in light of the tragedy in CT. I will not comment on this tragedy as we all have seen enough of it as it continues to flood our daily news and home lives. I feel that we have lost sight of what needs to happen in order to protect innocent lives, and the banning of certain weapons or imposing more laws and legislation will also not deter a criminal or mentally ill person from carrying out his or her will, regardless if they have a rifle, hand gun, knife or bat in their possession, they will find a way to carry out their plan! This is why I am writing you.

Instead of saying “There is no reason anyone needs to have a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle” said Raskin, who plans to introduce the ban when the annual 90-day legislative session opens Jan. 9. “That is just a killing machine. We can get rid of military-style assault weapons in civil society without infringing on anyone's Second Amendment rights.”

This is a total contradiction in terms! How bout doing what you have suggested and give full access to medical records to the state police and law enforcement agencies so they can stop the people before they decide they want to carry out these terrible acts. I am a law abiding and god fearing citizen that enjoys my 2nd amendment right to bear and have arms. I shoot for recreation and competition, but because everyone in the country is in a state of shock and anger because of the tragedy in CT, terrible knee jerk reactions are about to take place and infringe on mine and other fellow citizens.

I will stay on topic and not delve into the fact that instead of solving fiscal problems and finding out how millions vanished from the transportation fund, you, our delegates and senators that have been elected by us, want to focus on issues that currently in the state of Maryland are not even issues. Maryland is or at least in the top 5% of states with the strictest gun laws in place already, adding more laws, and or legislation is not the answer.

Punishing law abiding citizens will not stop the mentally ill and criminally insane from obtaining the very weapons you want to ban. Let’s remember, the weapons that Lanza had in his possession were stolen, and he was turned down at two different stores when trying to obtain a rifle. The laws work, but because he fell through the cracks because of a mental condition this happened, and would have happened regardless if he had the assault rifle or not. This prove that someone will find a way to get weapons, guns, knives, etc if they want them.

Please do not trample on the 2nd amendment and punish law abiding citizens because of this tragedy in CT.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Couple of response:

Crownroyal79

Thanks for getting in touch with me and letting me know where you stand on this important issue.

I agree with you 100% and will vote accordingly in the Maryland House of Delegates.

Del. Pat McDonough

Cardin, Jon Delegate <Jon.Cardin@house.state.md.us>

Crownroyal79,

Thank you for your comments on gun control in Maryland. Del. Cardin appreciates hearing from all sides and agrees that knee jerk reactions to this situation are not the answer. That being said, Delegate Cardin does plan to support an assault weapon ban in Maryland, but more importantly, he plans to look closely at mental health issues as you mentioned. We agree that identifying and helping individuals with mental illness before they become a danger to themselves or their communities is a serious concern and a vital part of the solution to this problem. Thank you for your input, and Del. Cardin looks forward to hearing from you in the future on this or any other issue.

Best,
    Josh Greenfeld, Esq.
    Legislative Director to Del. Jon Cardin

Stone, Norman Senator (Laptop) <Senator.N.Stone@senate.state.md.us>

Thank you for your email on this very important issue. I will make sure that Senator Stone receives a copy of your correspondence. Rest assured, he reads all his emails. JoAnne, Legislative Assistant

McComas, Susan Delegate (Laptop)<Delegate.S.McComas@house.state.md.us>

Dear Mr. Crownroyal79

You are absolutely right.
    This session is going to be gun legislation to the max. I will certainly listen and be very careful not to make matter worse. This issue is really a federal issue that should be dealt with by Congress. Guns can walk across state lines and the mentally ill and the bad guys always seem to get the weapons they need to create havoc and chaos.

Susan McComas - District 35 B

The other responses I got were auto reply's.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    From Cathy Vitale, my new delegate:

Dear Mr. Hodgepodge,

Thank you for your e-mail. Please know that I am an ardent supporter of 2nd Amendment rights. I am sure there will be many bills introduced during the upcoming session on both sides of the 2nd Amendment issue, and I encourage you to consider testifying on any bills you feel strongly about. Could you please provide me with your full address and phone number so that I can keep in touch with you regarding this issue?

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any further comments and questions.

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale
    Anne Arundel County, District 33A

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    My letter went something like this ...

Dear Senator Forehand ,

Her response : None she has never once sent a letter back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom