• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    this should be a fun match, looks real similar to PSA Shootout, i'm doing Sat AM and PM. below copied from MD's announcement:

October 14th and 15th we will be hosting a Falling Steel Match very similar to the PSA Shootout instead of our monthly 3 Gun match. This match will consist of 6 stages, each of which will have between 25 and 30 pieces of steel on them. The match fee is $30 (per time slot), and you may shoot all three time slots if you like. We will be shooting Saturday AM (9:00 AM) Saturday PM (1:00) and Sunday AM (9:00). Squads will be limited to 12 shooters so things should go quickly.

This match should have a broad appeal. 3 Gun shooters can use their pistol, shotgun, and even PCC. Fun Shooters will find it very familiar. If you've never shot a match before it should be easy enough to do. There are a lot of options as far as what kind of guns you can use. Everyone can use practice shooting steel, and there won't be a ton of pressure, as we will not be doing payouts to winners.

The other interesting thing we're trying this match is we are allowing two person teams to shoot. Two people will be shooting each array simultaneously, if they choose to shoot as a team.

For more details please read the rules and match information that is attached to the application available at http://tinyurl.com/York-Falling-Steel

We will only be taking 216 shooters total, so don't wait too long to get your application in the mail.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    this should be a fun match, looks real similar to PSA Shootout, i'm doing Sat AM and PM. below copied from MD's announcement:

October 14th and 15th we will be hosting a Falling Steel Match very similar to the PSA Shootout instead of our monthly 3 Gun match. This match will consist of 6 stages, each of which will have between 25 and 30 pieces of steel on them. The match fee is $30 (per time slot), and you may shoot all three time slots if you like. We will be shooting Saturday AM (9:00 AM) Saturday PM (1:00) and Sunday AM (9:00). Squads will be limited to 12 shooters so things should go quickly.

This match should have a broad appeal. 3 Gun shooters can use their pistol, shotgun, and even PCC. Fun Shooters will find it very familiar. If you've never shot a match before it should be easy enough to do. There are a lot of options as far as what kind of guns you can use. Everyone can use practice shooting steel, and there won't be a ton of pressure, as we will not be doing payouts to winners.

The other interesting thing we're trying this match is we are allowing two person teams to shoot. Two people will be shooting each array simultaneously, if they choose to shoot as a team.

For more details please read the rules and match information that is attached to the application available at http://tinyurl.com/York-Falling-Steel

We will only be taking 216 shooters total, so don't wait too long to get your application in the mail.

Oh, that's like the 2 person team steel matches at North Mountain or the 2 person team at the PSA Rimfire Shoot. 2 PCC would make quick work of a 25-30 plate stage. However it might conflict with the NSSF Rimfire World Championships.
    Yup its the same weekend.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Already signed up for Sunday, looking forward to shooting as a team with my brother, hopefully it turns into a regular thing, would love to try it again with my shotgun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I assume that means you can bring whatever, and not REQUIRED to shoot 3 guns... I've never done steel before...

yes, not required. pick one or you might even be able to use one type on one stage and another on another stage, though not sure how or if they'd score that or you'd just shoot for fun. no prizes other than pride so who cares. myself, i'll prob shoot my open gun in morning and PCC in the afternoon, or perhaps vice versa.

steel is awesome. way funner than paper, you get the sound, the visual and the awesomeness of knocking stuff down. one free piece of advice, don't stand there and wait for a piece to fall. assume it will fall and move on to the next piece and come back for it if needed.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    yes, not required. pick one or you might even be able to use one type on one stage and another on another stage, though not sure how or if they'd score that or you'd just shoot for fun. no prizes other than pride so who cares. myself, i'll prob shoot my open gun in morning and PCC in the afternoon, or perhaps vice versa.

Davsco, what ammo are you shooting? The limit is 1350fps, and the longer PCC barrel of course skews published data as fired from a handgun. For general range use I have Speer Lawman 124g tmj purported to be 1200fps, but that might be cutting it close if you add the 100-200fps the longer barrel provides...

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Sounds cool...did I read it right that a squad can get in for $30 as a whole, not $30 per person?
    $30 per shooting slot. single or team=same price per time slot

Factory pistol rounds in a 16" PCC barrel are rarely faster than a 4-5" barrel. SBR lengths see increase but somewhere in the 12"-14" range it starts slowing back down from the testing I have personally done. I'm confident all factory(non +P) is going to be fine out of any PCC for this match.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    $30 per shooting slot. single or team=same price per time slot

Factory pistol rounds in a 16" PCC barrel are rarely faster than a 4-5" barrel. SBR lengths see increase but somewhere in the 12"-14" range it starts slowing back down from the testing I have personally done. I'm confident all factory(non +P) is going to be fine out of any PCC for this match.

Hmm, I've seen this referenced from time to time... http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Anyway, I have some cheapo Federal 115g that will probably be fine as well.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Hmm, I've seen this referenced from time to time... http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Anyway, I have some cheapo Federal 115g that will probably be fine as well.

I can only speak from my testing developing my loads for uspsa pistol and PCC. My g34 needs 3.6 gr of Titegroup to make 130pf on a 124gr where my 10.5" PCC will do it in 3.3 grains. I would have to look but I don't recall my 124s making more than 140pf with my pistol loads. A good friend runs his 147gr pistol load over solo1000(yes he has some still) makes a tic over 130 of in his 16" PCC. Maybe some factory hotter loads have enough powder to gain speed the whole length of a rifle barrel. I'm very confident your are fine with any non +P ammo in a PCC for this match.

The majority of the loads listed in that link are defensive 115 and +p loads also.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I can only speak from my testing developing my loads for uspsa pistol and PCC. My g34 needs 3.6 gr of Titegroup to make 130pf on a 124gr where my 10.5" PCC will do it in 3.3 grains. I would have to look but I don't recall my 124s making more than 140pf with my pistol loads. A good friend runs his 147gr pistol load over solo1000(yes he has some still) makes a tic over 130 of in his 16" PCC. Maybe some factory hotter loads have enough powder to gain speed the whole length of a rifle barrel. I'm very confident your are fine with any non +P ammo in a PCC for this match.

The majority of the loads listed in that link are defensive 115 and +p loads also.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm good then.
    John

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah no one has blinked an eye at any of the uspsa and falling steel matches i have done with PCC. certainly with factory loads you're GTG or ammo handloaded to similar velocities. most if not all matches set up their steel so somewhat weak 9mm loads knock steel down, so you're at a disadvantage if you're loading up your ammo to hyper velocities as the excess recoil will hinder getting back on target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom