• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The Lehigh Defense sold by Underwood is getting rave reviews, with a variety of claims about how it creates some sort of magic force at the nose, ripping deep into the flesh for a greater distance, etc. It looks great in gel.

What Brassfetcher found is that the round actually tumbles once it hits flesh. Not sure what people think of that as a positive or a negative? I'd like to hear opinions:

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Wouldn't trust my life on a theory and no track record in actual shootings. I will stick with Gold DOT +P or the HST +P for now.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Original hydroshok (HS) was often the issued ammo back in my LE days but Lucky gunner tests show that it seldom expands properly and over penetrates.

HST seems looks to be improved and competitive with the other mainstream ammo brands (Remington, Winchester) that hits the sweet spot of large expansion and reliable 12-15" penetration.

Lucky Gunner has among the best details and data for ballistic gel ammo testing (https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/) that I have seen.
    Look at the data.....Be informed and go from there.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    But is mere tumbling actual hydrostatic shock? It has always been my understanding that such shock requires in excess of 2,000 fps to take place. That Lehigh/Underwood round is simply tumbling.

Again, I'm hoping to hear more about what people think in terms of tumbling causing damage... isn't that what the .223 rounds are made to do?

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Speer gold dot 124 grain plus p in 9mm, speer gold dot 230 grain in my .45 and speer gold dot 69 grain soft point in my ar15. Have a mix of winchester and federal as well but given the choice I like gooooooooooold.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You know why I choose Speer Gold Dots?

They're the only premium hollow point I can reliably find in those 50 round value boxes for ~$0.60 a round.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You know why I choose Speer Gold Dots?

They're the only premium hollow point I can reliably find in those 50 round value boxes for ~$0.60 a round.

If you didn't put reliably, I could point out that I found Sig 10mm JHPs are $12.99 per 20 at Quantico Tactical. Their 9mm version is $1 less per 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom