1895 Chilean Mausers- did not want to just put in water cooler.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    "These are C&R, but NOT antiques"

I thought all Chilean 1895 Mausers were pre-1899.

I remember many years ago someone at a Maryland show, maybe PG county, was selling piles of these for IIRC $99. The catch was they had been converted to .308

Converted to .308 was a hack job. however in the 50's The Chilean army pulled some (lowe & Dwm) out of mothballs & rearsenalled them to 7.62 NATO.

I picked up one that's a Lowe pre-'99 that was pretty ugly but, pretty cheap. Then I did (well mostly had done) a bit of work... once the can is off, still not a firearm ; ) Not in the pic, I also moded an elastic butt cartridge holder two carry two clips.

Attachments

• Mauser 95 w Amtac.jpg
      Mauser 95 w Amtac.jpg
      105.6 KB · Views: 347
    Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I got a Chilean Mauser years ago for 150. It was converted to 308, but after reading about the conversions, I shot a small handfull of lower powered 7.62 Cetme ammo thru it, then the plastic German training rounds. Sold it, and got a Spanish 308 Mauser I like better. Fun rifle, cheap to shoot.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Wow,, I am sure this is just a Pandemic price. They are outrageous.

I have a 1895 and a 1912 that I bought at Woolworth(Tysons corner) and I paid like under $100 each.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Some of the Chileans, maybe all, I've only seen a few, were questionable. The Arsenal bored and rifled to .308 dimensions, then soldered a chamber insert for 7.62 x 51. I've seen pictures of cracked barrels and flame cutting at the throat/chamber solder joint.
    The Spanish 93s were rebored and rifled, then set back and rechambered.
    I posted the Spanish Dept of Armaments booklet for the re-arsenaled 7.62 NATO Model 93s in GTODave's thread.
    Not saying 93s are safe to shoot with 308. Just pointing out that they were not intended for the CETME round, it was an approved alternate ammunition until the CETME round was withdrawn/used up.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Some of the Chileans, maybe all, I've only seen a few, were questionable. The Arsenal bored and rifled to .308 dimensions, then soldered a chamber insert for 7.62 x 51. I've seen pictures of cracked barrels and flame cutting at the throat/chamber solder joint.
    The Spanish 93s were rebored and rifled, then set back and rechambered.
    I posted the Spanish Dept of Armaments booklet for the re-arsenaled 7.62 NATO Model 93s in GTODave's thread.
    Not saying 93s are safe to shoot with 308. Just pointing out that they were not intended for the CETME round, it was an approved alternate ammunition until the CETME round was withdrawn/used up.

White Labs did a test on the 7.62/.308 Spanish conversions a few decades back when they first came around from SAMCO that seemed to put the issue to rest. They had to double-load a high-pressure .308 round to make it fail and even then, the failure was not catastrophic (no injury to a shooter).

As for OWS/Gibbs/Navy, I've found some good deals there in recent history, but under the OWS banner and not mucked about with like these have been.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    White Labs did a test on the 7.62/.308 Spanish conversions a few decades back when they first came around from SAMCO that seemed to put the issue to rest. They had to double-load a high-pressure .308 round to make it fail and even then, the failure was not catastrophic (no injury to a shooter).

LOL
    I threw in the disclaimer about shooting 308 to stay out of frays with idjuts. I don't want to hear from professional blow hards who don't believe facts over their beloved myths. I posted real, primary documentation. If someone posts a picture it's one of two Swedish rilfes. One blew up with Swedish Army issue 6.5x55 when shot by a reservist. The other is an overload of pistol powder in a reload. The owner admits he did it, but still posts the pictures claiming Swedish Mausers may be unsafe. :rolleyes: Uh, dude, you f'd up.
    Neither case involves Spanish re-arsenaled '93s (or 1916s).
    Don't even get me started on 7.62 is lower pressure than 308. 2k psi if measured by the same method. Not 10k or 12k. But hey, I comprehend the difference between CUP and Piezo transducer methods. The guy who knew a guy who told a story about some other guy does not.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    LOL
    I threw in the disclaimer about shooting 308 to stay out of frays with idjuts. I don't want to hear from professional blow hards who don't believe facts over their beloved myths. I posted real, primary documentation. If someone posts a picture it's one of two Swedish rilfes. One blew up with Swedish Army issue 6.5x55 when shot by a reservist. The other is an overload of pistol powder in a reload. The owner admits he did it, but still posts the pictures claiming Swedish Mausers may be unsafe. :rolleyes: Uh, dude, you f'd up.
    Neither case involves Spanish re-arsenaled '93s (or 1916s).
    Don't even get me started on 7.62 is lower pressure than 308. 2k psi if measured by the same method. Not 10k or 12k. But hey, I comprehend the difference between CUP and Piezo transducer methods. The guy who knew a guy who told a story about some other guy does not.

I know! It's insane how many people just regurgitate the same crap over and over. My favorite is one you covered earlier. The "They were meant for 7.62 CETME" line.... :sad20:

Oh well, it made it way easier for me to snap a bunch up cheap back when SAMCO was still up and running. :party29:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I know! It's insane how many people just regurgitate the same crap over and over. My favorite is one you covered earlier. The "They were meant for 7.62 CETME" line.... :sad20:

Oh well, it made it way easier for me to snap a bunch up cheap back when SAMCO was still up and running. :party29:

One of the best acquisitions of my collecting "career" was a nice Ross MKIII. All because some moron removed the bolt and then hastily replaced it incorrectly, jamming it into the receiver in the process. So when the auction went live nothing but crickets when it came up. I'm sure it was due to all the tales about MKIII bolt failures. Got it without a counter bid. Once home it took me 30 seconds with a plastic punch and hammer to pop the bolt back out and re-install it properly. Love wives tales!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom