• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Thanks everyone for the offers and suggestions.

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Okkkkk....so everything is in except the handle. I've gleaned over the info you guys cited. And I'm 50/50 now on giving this a go by myself. Sure glad you guys are here if I go ahead with this and run into any issues.

So: I have a complete upper, stripped lower, lower kits part, trigger and a stock. Zero tools except a punch and light hammer. What other tools are highly recommended?

AND, How long would this take? I'm semi-decent with dexterity and following directions. FWIW.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Okkkkk....so everything is in except the handle. I've gleaned over the info you guys cited. And I'm 50/50 now on giving this a go by myself. Sure glad you guys are here if I go ahead with this and run into any issues.

So: I have a complete upper, stripped lower, lower kits part, trigger and a stock. Zero tools except a punch and light hammer. What other tools are highly recommended?

AND, How long would this take? I'm semi-decent with dexterity and following directions. FWIW.
    You should at least invest in an armorer's tool like this DPMS https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/DPMS-AR-15-Multi-Tool-Armorers-Wrench-p/dpms-60733.htm

There are many versions and manufacturers but the DPMS has handled most of the basic needs. Also, look into some form of vice block(and a vice) for holding the parts securely while you work on them. Depending on your local, there are many of us willing to lend out some of the specialty tools to get you through your first build. All you have to do is ask...

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

You'll need a castle-nut wrench (may have even come with your buffer tube and stock?) you can get them from Amazon even for like $13 delivered. The Armorer's wrench that Outrider suggested has one built in. I also suggest a pair of needle-nose pliers and something very thin and VERY stiff to handle the front pin detent job.

Watch assembly videos over and over to make sure you have it down, and then watch as you build so you don't forget anything.

I've built 3 ARs over the years from nothing but parts (aside from the barreled upper with gas system installed) and the lower is easy. Truly no specialized tools other than a lock-nut/castle-nut wrench and those are cheap.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    OP, where are you located? If you don’t mind coming to Bel Air, I have all the tools you could need and I’ll help you build it for free.

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    OP, where are you located? If you don’t mind coming to Bel Air, I have all the tools you could need and I’ll help you build it for free.

Thank you. I appreciate the offer. I'll try to tackle this on my own for now. Im in the city, but I WILL be in touch if I hit a snag.

Your guys willingness to help really does speak volumes about this community. Hope to pay if forward when I have a chance.

M1014

May 18, 2020
    Thank you. I appreciate the offer. I'll try to tackle this on my own for now. Im in the city, but I WILL be in touch if I hit a snag.

Your guys willingness to help really does speak volumes about this community. Hope to pay if forward when I have a chance.

I live in Baltimore too. I have the tools and have the experience. PM me if you need help.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• oil.jpg
      oil.jpg
      29.7 KB · Views: 197

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    OP - DO NOT USE a Hammer and PUNCH to seat that pin on the trigger guard.
    You need black tape to avoid scratching, and VICE GRIPS to install that pin. - OR NOT!!
    If you break off that ear of the trigger guard- well that would suck. Vice grips snug it down.
    You will lose at least one spring so you should have some extras. I have extras somewhere....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom