• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -While inspecting an Arty Luger at a recent MD auction I noticed this tidy Dreyse M1907 with interesting markings. So took some photos and went home to get an education in the week leading up to the online sale. As things turned out the Arty Luger and 30 other lots were pulled from the auction due to a court injunction (I've sadly seen this happen now and again). So I was really focused on the Dreyse now.
    -Found what I needed in information over on Jan Still's Gun Boards forum where collectors were entering Dreyse 1907 information for a dBase. Quickly realized that this was a rare piece and worth a serious bid. The most recent comp I could find online was a 2017 RIA lot that sold for just under $700 and it was in much rougher condition and a variation that's, while rare, is more commonly found. So put in a proper bid and she was mine for under $500 OTD.
    -What makes this example so interesting is that it's Prussian Gendarme marked as denoted by the K.S. Gend. script. The first batch of 1907s built by RMM were marked in this fashion. Following the reported 700 piece run the standard production runs were marked with the Dreyse name. What makes this pistol even more interesting is that its SN isn't from the first 700, its in the 19K range and as such it's a later variant of the M1907 with distinctly different features from the earlier Prussian pistols. Looking at the dBase that's been assembled this is the 4th pistol reported that's Prussian Gendarme marked on a later first variant pistol.
    -She's matching and the magazine appears to have originally been marked as the spare. There's an II mark that's crossed out even though the SN and property marks are original to the pistol. I'm guessing that the original magazine was lost/retired and the spare now marked to take its place.
    -There's an LG mark on the front strap which denotes Prussian Landgendarmerie. I suspect this pistol and the few other later variants K.S Gend marked were replacements or additional purchases made after the initial production run.

Attachments

• IMGP9127.JPG
      IMGP9127.JPG
      56.1 KB · Views: 467
    • IMGP9129.JPG
      IMGP9129.JPG
      70.1 KB · Views: 441
    • IMGP9130.JPG
      IMGP9130.JPG
      81.1 KB · Views: 442
    • IMGP9131.JPG
      IMGP9131.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 451
    • IMGP9132.JPG
      IMGP9132.JPG
      50.1 KB · Views: 431
    • IMGP9136.JPG
      IMGP9136.JPG
      73.3 KB · Views: 418
    • IMGP9137.JPG
      IMGP9137.JPG
      42.3 KB · Views: 432
    • IMGP9138.JPG
      IMGP9138.JPG
      25.1 KB · Views: 436

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Been waiting for this post all week!

Very nice. Like I said in the other thread, I was tempted to throw a bid at it if I weren't tied up with other projects at the moment. I'm glad it went to you when the gavel fell. I knew it was unique with the K.S. Gend. marking that was clear from the photos, but was made aware of the auction way too late to do research.

I personally think you need to start a video series about your unique finds. Along the lines of Forgotten Weapons, but more specific to those awesome and unique markings and variations that you seem to have a nose for.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    It looks just as good in the pictures as it does in person!

Good seeing you yesterday. I’ve got the CZ27 from the auction taken apart and trying to get the rust off of it now. Might be a bit more work than I anticipated.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Another amazing acquisition. When are you opening the museum?

My general rule on a C&R purchase is, "Would mawkie buy this?" That rule has saved me from buying a lot of clunkers that are not exactly what I want.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It looks just as good in the pictures as it does in person!

Good seeing you yesterday. I’ve got the CZ27 from the auction taken apart and trying to get the rust off of it now. Might be a bit more work than I anticipated.

Always a good time chatting with you! Looking forward to doing it again under more normal circumstances.
    Me, I'm partial to a combination of Kroil and brass wool when gently removing surface rust.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Always a good time chatting with you! Looking forward to doing it again under more normal circumstances.
    Me, I'm partial to a combination of Kroil and brass wool when gently removing surface rust.

Yea I did the Kroil and wool technique for a while the other day. It helped but doesn’t seem to be enough to get it all off. Might need to soak it for longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom