• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Dollar General is on a building spree up here now. One in Beverly and even Wardensville.

Thomas and Davis cool towns if you are looking for Outdoor activities and even music and bars. Davis is right on the edge of Canaan Valley. And Corridor H/US 48 is complete and all highway now from Wardensville to Davis. Beautiful drive and a time saver, so much so that going from Elkins to MD I take 48 to I-81 to I-66 into DC, or 81 to Rt. 7 to 340 and Charles Town.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Dollar General is on a building spree up here now. One in Beverly and even Wardensville.

Thomas and Davis cool towns if you are looking for Outdoor activities and even music and bars. Davis is right on the edge of Canaan Valley. And Corridor H/US 48 is complete and all highway now from Wardensville to Davis. Beautiful drive and a time saver, so much so that going from Elkins to MD I take 48 to I-81 to I-66 into DC, or 81 to Rt. 7 to 340 and Charles Town.

Davis ia just a little over 30 minutes away from my house. We go up there all the time to eat (let alone the skiing which we have season's passes for both resorts). As I mentioned earlier, Tucker, Randolph and Pocahontas are the 3 most beautiful counties and you could not go wrong living in any of the three.

If any of you are out this way (Randolph), shoot me an PM and I will gladly meet up with you and show you around (family obligations permitting).

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    There's a ton of very helpful information in these replies. I've been able to adjust my search areas as a result.

Many thanks.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    The Clarksburg area definitely has all the conveniences that you could want, plus easy access due to the highway system (I-79). There are some good land and home prices in the area and you can be in the high mountains within an hour.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Anyone have any input on the Clarksburg area?

Lots. That’s where I live.

Huge growth area, with the Bridgeport side of town seeing most of that. I-79 is the “train tracks” though, and Bridgeport is the “nice” side of town with Clarksburg being the “bad” side of town.

Lots of drug problems and abandoned/condemned or condemnable homes in Clarksburg, but that can lead to some great deals. Realtor friends think Clarksburg is going to see a resurgence with Bridgeport maxing our very soon. There’s several pockets of still very nice communities in town, with no threat of the drug problem.

You can find some acreage outside of town as well, that is still convenient to everything.

If you have more specific questions as you look more let me know and I’ll give you my local take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I have been looking around Shinnston. My brother and sister both live in Marion co. To much corruption there for me. I'd go nuts.
    So hopefully Harrison for me.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    To piggy-back on sxs's post. If you're staying up near Seneca Rocks, Harman's Luxury Cabins is far superior to everything else in the area. Snowshoe is an amazing "bang for your buck" summer vacation spot and their sporting clays course (though not fancy) offers some really good challenges. Very tight full-on woods shooting. No automated traps. You have a guide with you at every station who goes and sits in the trap house and waits for your call. They also mix up the clays so that you're shooting everything from pheasant and grouse on down to miniatures as stand-ins for quail. Nothing more fun than watching a full-sized clay and a teeny-tiny middle one go flying and having to figure out which to nail first.

I'll second Cass as a place to stay as well as take the train. It's beautiful up there. I lived on the mountain (Snowshoe) and down in Slaty Fork for a few years when I first get started after college. I'd give my left nut to be able to move back and make any sort of living in that area again.

If you want an amazing experience though, grab 8 or so families and rent out the Cheat Mountain Club for a long weekend or even a week. You don't find honest-to-goodness lodges like that around here anymore.

Just revisited this thread. Thanks for the tip on Harmans Cabins. I may use them sometime. I used to stay at the Boyer motel on 28 near Greenbank years back. No one answers the phone there anymore aNd I know the restaurant has been closed for at least several years. I have also stayed in Elkins before and even pulled my camper to Blackwater Falls then visited the area on day trips.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

There is a Dollar General in Arbovale right on 28 (next to Greenbank...in sight of the Astronomy Observatory). I laughed when I first saw it a few years ago. Nothing like a chain store ever existed in that area until then.

Thomas and Davis are right by Blackwater Falls. Gorgeous hiking throughout the state park. Besides the hikes going past the falls, try taking the short, easy hike (1/2 or 3/4 of a mile) to Lindy point...where 3 valleys intersect. Spectacular.

Wardensville.....I have eaten periodically at the Kac Ka Pon restaurant on my way past many times ever since I was a young child. Foods not as good as years ago, but still decent enough to warrant a stop. Pies are excellent (homemade).

I didn't realize Corridor H was complete now. On the other hand, I usually use it from I-81 near Front Royal to Wardensville then Moorefield, then take 28 south from there. When I've been to Elkins a couple times a few years back, I came down 219 from either Oakland MD or Blackwater Falls either cutting through past Durbin back to 28 or going all the way down to 66 to cut east to Snowshoe and Cass.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    There is a Dollar General in Arbovale right on 28 (next to Greenbank...in sight of the Astronomy Observatory). I laughed when I first saw it a few years ago. Nothing like a chain store ever existed in that area until then.

Thomas and Davis are right by Blackwater Falls. Gorgeous hiking throughout the state park. Besides the hikes going past the falls, try taking the short, easy hike (1/2 or 3/4 of a mile) to Lindy point...where 3 valleys intersect. Spectacular.

Wardensville.....I have eaten periodically at the Kac Ka Pon restaurant on my way past many times ever since I was a young child. Foods not as good as years ago, but still decent enough to warrant a stop. Pies are excellent (homemade).

I didn't realize Corridor H was complete now. On the other hand, I usually use it from I-81 near Front Royal to Wardensville then Moorefield, then take 28 south from there. When I've been to Elkins a couple times a few years back, I came down 219 from either Oakland MD or Blackwater Falls either cutting through past Durbin back to 28 or going all the way down to 66 to cut east to Snowshoe and Cass.

The 4 lane is done all the way from just outside Wardensville to Davis. And it is a very pretty ride.

From there I usually go out thru Canaan to get to Elkins, because that road from Thomas to Parsons to Elkins sucks and I always get stuck behind some slow trucks. I can be in Annapolis from Elkins now reliably in 4.5 hours. I take 66 out from DC.

As far as Clarksburg goes, what was said about Bridgeport was true. I'd either look north (preferrably) or south. The airport there now even has daily directs to Dulles and O'Hare.

My cousin lives in Fairmont, some of that area is nice too.

Morgantown is like a big jumbled mess. But they keep building.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I have been looking around Shinnston. My brother and sister both live in Marion co. To much corruption there for me. I'd go nuts.
    So hopefully Harrison for me.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

I really like Main Street Shinnston. I’m considering a couple homes nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

It's only completed to above Thomas. It's going to be a long time before it is completed all the way down to Elkins.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    It's only completed to above Thomas. It's going to be a long time before it is completed all the way down to Elkins.

My uncle was the state road engineer here in the Elkins for 30 years or more. He was the one who did alot of the original work. When they had planned for it to go out thru Harman, etc. When they moved it to bypass Elkins and go to Parsons they have been in court ever since, between the environmental groups and the historical preservation groups.

He said he doubts it will be done before 2030 lol

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    My uncle was the state road engineer here in the Elkins for 30 years or more. He was the one who did alot of the original work. When they had planned for it to go out thru Harman, etc. When they moved it to bypass Elkins and go to Parsons they have been in court ever since, between the environmental groups and the historical preservation groups.

He said he doubts it will be done before 2030 lol

That is pretty much spot on for what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom