• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    A bit late to the game but I’m happy to see Ruger come out with this. I’m a big fan of Ruger revolvers. Although I have a S&W 686+, I may have to get one of these.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1771.html

Attachments

• E85CE0C0-C957-4C47-B4CF-249D57495214.jpg
      E85CE0C0-C957-4C47-B4CF-249D57495214.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 1,024

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The email I got from Ruger says the grips are the rubber/wood combo grips the other GP100 sports. Pretty gun for sure.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    no, i dont think so, since this is a new model.

True. But... There is a lot of latitude with the roster, and a lot of history of how they've added new models before. It is a gray area, for instance if its just a different color, grip panel, or sight, or some other cosmetic feature, no one cares; but if it affects safety, or function it might have to go before the administrative board. If its a completely new gun or new class etc. it will probably have to go through the formal process of review.

The GP100 now comes in 3 new models that can hold 7 cartridges, as opposed to 6. A 4.20", 6" and a 2.5" barrel; models 1771, 1773, 1774 respectfully. Interestingly, they added '7' to the model number for their 7 shot revolvers; and if this nomenclature holds true, the model 1776 will be a 7 shot GP 100, I love it!

Here's what they currently offer in the GP100 line:

GP100
    Approved models: 1702, 1704, 1705, 1707, 1715, 1740, 1748, 1752, 1752 (Hawkeye Finish), 1753 (HGP 331-NVK), 1754, 1755 (Match Champion), 1757, 1759, 1761, 1766
    Approved calibers: 22, 327, 357, 38, 44

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    True. But... There is a lot of latitude with the roster, and a lot of history of how they've added new models before. It is a gray area, for instance if its just a different color, grip panel, or sight, or some other cosmetic feature, no one cares; but if it affects safety, or function it might have to go before the administrative board. If its a completely new gun or new class etc. it will probably have to go through the formal process of review.

The GP100 now comes in 3 new models that can hold 7 cartridges, as opposed to 6. A 4.20", 6" and a 2.5" barrel; models 1771, 1773, 1774 respectfully. Interestingly, they added '7' to the model number for their 7 shot revolvers; and if this nomenclature holds true, the model 1776 will be a 7 shot GP 100, I love it!

Here's what they currently offer in the GP100 line:

GP100
    Approved models: 1702, 1704, 1705, 1707, 1715, 1740, 1748, 1752, 1752 (Hawkeye Finish), 1753 (HGP 331-NVK), 1754, 1755 (Match Champion), 1757, 1759, 1761, 1766
    Approved calibers: 22, 327, 357, 38, 44

:thumbsup:
    I am thinking/hoping they do not need sample for this.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    :thumbsup:
    I am thinking/hoping they do not need sample for this.

Same here, this is a trivial difference.

Hey, I just called and spoke with the wonderful lady that manages the process. This is probably the third or fourth time I've spoken with her over theses years, she's refreshingly positive and helpful. After speaking with her I'm going to amend my saying there is 'a lot' of latitude to 'some latitude', they definitely have their own formality, process, practices, and the AG's office calls the shots on how they run things. Recent experience seems to indicate that the board typically wants to discuss, or evaluate (shoot, etc.) any handgun that is significantly different, that could be modifications to the trigger, frame size, performance, even different calibers are typically discussed in these meetings. Oh, they are very happy to have citizens attend to watch the handgun board review meetings, I have not attended one yet. But being open to the public, I'll see if I can make a future meeting; sounds like all great folks making these decisions and they do a great job of keeping the roster up to date.

Specifically to these three new 7-cartridge GP100's; they are going to discuss internally if this is something they want/need to discuss as a board, or if its something that isn't significant enough to bother with, and can just add the models to the roster. So undetermined at this time. Also worth mentioning, the most recent board meeting minutes are not on the website; they wait until the minutes are approved by the board before they post them publicly. http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...onBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx
    They looked for me and related that the GP100 was not discussed at the last board meeting. I'm guessing that they will either administratively add these three new seven (7) round models, or discuss it at the next board meeting. Either way, all around great experience with this office. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I could be wrong but I think someone has to formally request addition by submitting the two-page form, they cannot add models all by themselves "administratively". If they need a sample, the dealer will have to submit it. otherwise, anyone can submit the paperwork and :fingerscrossed:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I could be wrong but I think someone has to formally request addition by submitting the two-page form, they cannot add models all by themselves "administratively". If they need a sample, the dealer will have to submit it. otherwise, anyone can submit the paperwork and :fingerscrossed:

I think you are pretty much right; my only slightly different understanding is that there is now so much understanding/precedence from past board meetings/decisions, that everyone involved understands the board doesn't care about superficial or cosmetic differences; so if a maker comes out with a variation of a gun that is already approved, it included. If the handgun manufacture gives it a different model number, for just adding something like a different treatment (i.e. bluing vs stainless, etc.), color, grips, sights, engraving, etc. they just add that specific model to the approved list. I also got the feeling that the only reason the specific models and calibers were listed was mostly for ease of searching the approved handgun list. Like some other things in Maryland, these things sometimes take on a life of their own and/or are subject to interpretation.

So, in a very general sense, there appears to be three ways these issues are handled. First is formal submission and evaluation my the Handgun review board, which usually includes shooting the gun and some technical discussion. This happens with 'new' designs, truly new guns, and the like. The second category are things that may or may not need to be tested, but are certainly discussed at the board and decided on before adding to the Handgun Roster, things like modified triggers, frame sizes, significant performance characteristics, etc. Then there are a whole host of virtually irrelevant to the safety and function of the firearm that are assumed 'included' or if a different model is provided, administratively added to the list. Things like offering a handgun with different sight options, colors, finishes, grips, etc. For example if a manufacture offers a different capacity magazine, that was not an issue, not an issue (assuming it wasn't over the arbitrary magazine limit imposed). So in this case, I think theres a good chance they will just administratively add the 7 round revolvers to the list. They all fall within the GP100 class of medium sized revolvers; Ruger just gives them all different model numbers for marketing and administrative purposes. All three of these revolvers are identical except the barrel length. We shall see how this is handled.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I have been thinking seriously about a 4" .357 revolver... was trying to decide between SW 686 and Ruger...this one has my attention.
    I haven't seen one of these, but I wasn't crazy about the 4-inch S&W 686. I love the 686 and think it's by far the most accurate production .357 ever developed, including the Colt Python. (The inherent accuracy of the Python was exceptional, but the grip was designed more for an ape than a human. It was wide where the human hand was smallest and narrow at the point where the hand was widest.) The grip on the Colt Trooper V was much better.

One extra round sounds great for a .357, but if I were going to buy a .357, I'd most likely try one of the 686s. The last Ruger GP-100 I looked at in a gun store was so front heavy that it really was a turn-off. It would be great for a range or competition gun, but not a good travel or hiking gun. That's why I prefer the S&W 66 and the Ruger Security-Six. If I have a bear that's moving in on my space or a cougar trying to bring me down, I don't want a heavy barrel to contend with. I also don't want to haul all the extra weight with me. I really regret selling my skinny-barrel Security-Six to buy the Heavy-Barrel version. But that was then.

Try the gun before you buy. If it feels right, go ahead and buy it. Each person has to decide for himself. All the time I was shooting the earlier Rugers, I never heard anyone complain about the recoil. The blast, yes, but not the recoil. The companies went to the underlug versions just to compete with the Colt Python. I'd love to see both companies come out with lighter versions that would weigh in at 35 ounces.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thank you MM for making me feel young again .

What with more recent @$!#:;&&( that has been on our plates , and with my tastes in classic handguns , HRB has slipped from back burner , to warming tray . But your detailed descriptions have reminded me how much I Hate and Despise the existance of that Board , and that Roster .

Nevermind that virtually everthing is eventually approved . The mere existence of a Roster is more repugnant than the existence of carry permits.

Thank you for the mental journey back to 1988 .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thank you MM for making me feel young again .

What with more recent @$!#:;&&( that has been on our plates , and with my tastes in classic handguns , HRB has slipped from back burner , to warming tray . But your detailed descriptions have reminded me how much I Hate and Despise the existance of that Board , and that Roster .

Nevermind that virtually everthing is eventually approved . The mere existence of a Roster is more repugnant than the existence of carry permits.

Thank you for the mental journey back to 1988 .

my wallet approves of the roster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom