• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This question is really for Jim Sr., but if anyone knows then the answer would be appreciated

In MD you need a cartridge handgun that has at least something like 700 foot pounds muzzle energy to hunt deer with, but what if you are not hunting deer or bear?
    Can you use a .380 ACP to hunt nutria with for instance?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    MD huntersguide/2007_2008

This question is really for Jim Sr., but if anyone knows then the answer would be appreciated

In MD you need a cartridge handgun that has at least something like 700 foot pounds muzzle energy to hunt deer with, but what if you are not hunting deer or bear?
    Can you use a .380 ACP to hunt nutria with for instance?
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/2007_2008_guide.pdf

Page 19

Handgun Regulations

Modern and muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt forest game (handgun hunting for turkey only during the fall season), upland game (except dove and woodcock) and coyote, fisher, fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, skunk, woodchuck. However, modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more. Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or xpanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Contact the Maryland State Police for information about handgun purchase, possession, transport and use in non-hunting activities...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Where do you hunt those at? I have never seen or heard of those. I had to google it to find out what it was.

So did I one or two years ago. It is a water rat (rodent) that was imported a long time ago to the area for it's fur, but it became a pest destroying watershed ecology. I hear it is a major nuisance on the eastern shore.

Apr 18, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I've never hunted them, but I have to admit, it's tempting. I was thinking about going down to Fishing Bay to scout for Sika anyway and if I do it, I'll bring along a scoped 10/22 in case I come across any of those overgrown rats. As a side note, nutria can be hunted on Sundays. If anybody is interested in going with me, let me know.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hey Jim SR, what happened to the ".22 rimfire only" caliber restriction on Nutria? I looked and failed to find it. I DO realize it may only apply to "rifles".

I've hunted Nutria with archery gear, high power air rifles and .22 rimfires.

In MD, they are found mainly in Dorchester County, and even that area is kinda north for them. They lose ears, toes and tails to frostbite. I have shot them along the Chicamicomico and the Transquaking rivers (just north of Fishing Bay), and they are plentiful around Blackwater Refuge too. We have taken 10 or more a day from my small bass boat.

IMHO, the best time to kill them is when it's cold and sunny. In summer, there is so much cover, they are very spread out, and they seem more alert as well. They really suffer with the cold, and they will huddle up on the bank in the sun to stay warm. When they do this, they are nearly oblivious to almost everything around them and one can easily drift within archery/air rifle range. I liked to power upriver a mile or two, wait a little while and then drift back, watching and shooting as we go. It also pays to pole up into the smaller tributaries and have a look.

They are near the size of groundhogs, but rather fragile. A .22 pellet to the head will take them cleanly. With archery gear, one should use broadheads. I've used blunts (Bludgeon Points) with a 70# bow, and unless you really center him up, or make a head shot, the blunts will not immobilize them. A .22 really isn't necessary for the power, but works well because of it's better long range precision and 50 yards shots aren't too bad to make, if the boat is still. I'd consider a shotgun unsporting, but they ARE varmints.

We encountered DNR on the rivers, which run through public land and private. I asked about the legality of shooting them while surrounded by private land and was advised to stay in the boat to stay legal.
    nutria-04.jpg

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    E.Shell, what do you do with them once you harvest them? Pelts worth anything?

For those interested in hunting deer, I have worked up a .357 Magnum load for my 686:
    15.0 grains of 2400, 170 grain Keith LSWC and CCI 500 primer. Averages 1384 fps good for ~720ft-lbs. Hopefully, will report on how it does with deer this fall :)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I'm still waiting on the first deer to walk by me within 20 yards so I can use my Ruger Old Army .45 Blackpowder pistol. I've hunted a couple of days each of the last two late blackpowder seasons without seeing one within 40 yards.
    Can't hunt with a "real" pistol in AA county....

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'm still waiting on the first deer to walk by me within 20 yards so I can use my Ruger Old Army .45 Blackpowder pistol. I've hunted a couple of days each of the last two late blackpowder seasons without seeing one within 40 yards.
    Can't hunt with a "real" pistol in AA county....

You mean hunt deer with a "real"pistol in AA county....Jim Sr. am I right?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    E.Shell, what do you do with them once you harvest them? Pelts worth anything? . . .
    We were running dry traplines at the time and used the ones we didn't bury for fox bait.

A couple of the guys I took out had the best ones mounted, but almost all of the big ones are damaged from frostbite injuries.

The fur is thin and the hides really aren't worth skinning. Add a pair of broadhead marks or an LRHP exit wound and the value goes negative.

The flesh is red like muskrat and they have a peculiar "aroma". Some would eat them, but I just can't work up an appetite for a giant rat.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or xpanding bullet or ball at a single discharge.

You mean hunt deer with a "real"pistol in AA county....Jim Sr. am I right?

I hunt with a "real pistol" (Ruger Old Army) in AA county.
    You can check my deep freezer.
    She dropped in her own shadow, no tracking needed!

If I want to hunt out to 75 yards, I will use my .45 TC Scout pistol.

The handgun hunting rules are ( Cut&Past ) listed in post #2.

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    I've never hunted them, but I have to admit, it's tempting. I was thinking about going down to Fishing Bay to scout for Sika anyway and if I do it, I'll bring along a scoped 10/22 in case I come across any of those overgrown rats. As a side note, nutria can be hunted on Sundays. If anybody is interested in going with me, let me know.

Always interested in learning something new. I am up for the challenge. PM me about hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom