• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    People have always told me when your introducing your wife or daughter or any woman whose brand new to shooting that you allow them to shoot a variety and then allow them to choose what they are comfortable with.

The only thing is my wife chose the 22 which is the weakest of all the calibers and im stuck on should I just over ride what she's comfortable with and get her a 9mm or just buy the fricking 22LR pistol?

What would you do?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Agreed.

A .22 she is comfortable shooting is a gun she is more likely to use if she needs to defend herself. Forcing her to shoot a 9 or 45 now isn't going to make her want to shoot anything. The shock tramua guy said 2 holes of any size decreased the recipient's chances of survival

The question itself generally proves you are both new. Get her the .22 now, keep shooting and having fun. She might find something larger she likes later.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I say if she is happy shooting the .22 good enough. I project that eventually she will want to try another gun. That is what my wife did. Now she prefers my 1911.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Go with what wifey wants. A .22 is what she wants now. Once she likes it, there's always a chance she'll want more gun.

Turn her off with something she's not ready for, and it'll be a long time before she touches another gun.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    On the one hand, you can get her a .22 which she'll love and is fun to shoot, meaning she'll practice more and get used to the noise, and maybe eventually want to move up on her own, after she gains confidence.

Or...

You can get her a caliber she doesn't like to shoot, so she won't practice, won't enjoy it, and will get discouraged about shooting.

Seems like a clear choice!

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I just figured a 22 would only be sufficient coming out of a rifle vs a short barrel pistol.

Point well made about wanting to shoot and defend herself though.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I really think it's the noise of the bigger calibers even though she won't admit it.

She hasn't shot the 380 yet, that's my last hope next time we go out. Though she's pretty hell bent on the 22.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Semi automatic. She doesn't like the feel of the revolver at all, took one shot and never touched it again.

cb51

Get her the .22. She'l love it and shoot more, and when she gets really good with it, you won't worry when your out or town for a day or two. And a .22 bullet in the bread basket is a bad thing and ruins a felons night.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Let her try and then buy what she wants.

She's going to be a whole lot better off with a .22 she's familiar with, likes, and shoots all the time, than she'll ever be with a 9 or a 45 that spends its life in her nightstand drawer.

She'll move up in caliber, if and when she wants to. And if she does, she'll shoot her new choice more often also.

It's more about "want to". There isn't a chambering on the market that can replace that mental and self determination piece.

cb51

Semi automatic. She doesn't like the feel of the revolver at all, took one shot and never touched it again.

If you go .22, then a revolver is the way to go. The iffy rimfire priming is the weak point of the .22. With a semi-auto a fail to fire means having to rack in a really big hurry. With a revolver, just pull the trigger again. Way easier and faster.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I guess you guys are right, a 22 is better than something she's going to be scared to use but damn I never heard of anybody having a self defense pistol in 22, but I'll get over it even though im not all that comfortable with it.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    What is pupose of weapon? Just plinking...22. If self defense, well it will get job done if accurate shot but most would agree better options. Some good 9' s in terms of recoil if that is concern.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Judah7. Where are you located? Take her to a range that rents small framed guns. I was at continental today and they had a lot more small guns. Have her try them. My wife got to shoot a g43, thank to a gentleman next lane over. I think he wanted to make sure the sights were right. Keltec pmr30 is a good option.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If you go .22, then a revolver is the way to go. The iffy rimfire priming is the weak point of the .22. With a semi-auto a fail to fire means having to rack in a really big hurry. With a revolver, just pull the trigger again. Way easier and faster.

Just another reason for me to be iffy on the 22, I'll have to look around and see if there are some reliable 22 semi automatics since the revolver isn't a option in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom