• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Wasn't sure where to put this because we don't have a specific CCW section....

Right now I have two residences: one in DC and one in Maryland. My driver's license is in Maryland. I recently received my DC carry permit which lists my address in DC and I applied as a resident. I also hold a restricted Maryland permit which is a "resident permit" despite no address on it as I have a Maryland DL.

Any opinions on whether or not I essentially have dual residency? Would my DC permit be viewed as my home state as my Maryland would be?

Can't say I'd really run into a situation where this question might come up but I'm kind of curious as to what others think

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland's Permits make no distinction as to state of residence , the Permits, and the process is the same for everyone .

As to * your * actual residency , I make no comment or observations at this time .

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Kinda off topic, but if you don't have a non resident PA permit already, I'd suggest getting one while you still have a home state permit, since that's now required to get a non resident permit in PA

I have one, thankfully.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Kinda off topic, but if you don't have a non resident PA permit already, I'd suggest getting one while you still have a home state permit, since that's now required to get a non resident permit in PA

When the home state expires, so does the pa and you MUST notify pa of renewals of your home state or they will revoke your pa non resident.

ironbag

Apr 6, 2018
    Gaithersburg
    I’ve always maintained a MD drivers license even though I’ve been gone for 10 years, and would simply get an ID card for whatever state I was living in to qualify as a resident. When I lived in Utah, the ID was enough to qualify me for a resident carry permit. My AZ permit is a non-resident however.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    I have lost the link, but there is / was a document from the ATF website that stated, if you had multiple bonafied residences, not just property, you could be considered a resident of whichever state you were residing in at that time. I was looking because I wanted to buy something in the other state to leave there. I was never able to find an FFL willing to accept that doc as a justification to allow me to purchase anything.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    As a general rule, your home state is where you live for six months and one day (the way it works for the really serious thing: Taxes).

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I have lost the link, but there is / was a document from the ATF website that stated, if you had multiple bonafied residences, not just property, you could be considered a resident of whichever state you were residing in at that time. I was looking because I wanted to buy something in the other state to leave there. I was never able to find an FFL willing to accept that doc as a justification to allow me to purchase anything.

Look under State of Residence using this link - https://ecfr.io/Title-27/sp27.3.478.b

Although it is possible by regulation it will be hard to find an FFL that would do it unless you have a government issued ID in both states.

State laws vary on this topic as well. So even though the federal regulations say it’s possible it may not be possible depending upon the state. As an example of different state laws Virginia requires you to have your Virginia drivers license for 30 days prior to buying a firearm.

BlindJim

Feb 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    until you use it

Claiming multiple residences is all well and good until you get questioned about it by the authorities - for example should you actually need to use your gun in self defense. I'd be real careful with that one.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    MD tax regs say if you reside in MD 183 days or more a year you're considered a MD resident.

Soooo, If you're a snow bird and reside in 3 states 125 ish days a year, you reside nowhere? No state taxes? Wooo Hooo!!!!

Just to satisfy my idle curiosity, when MD comes knocking with a hand out for their income taxes and I present my (Florida, Texas, Aarizona, pick one) DL, what do they use to establish how long I was in my residental property in Maryland? DO I have the burden of proof or does the state?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's anecdotal, plus occasional news story , but it used to be live humans cruising strategic neighborhoods looking for out of state vehicle tags that stick around for 31 days . I woud imagine in the current era,that the state will subscribe to commercial plate reader services .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom