• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I did a PF940v1.5 a while back and found it to be an easy build to do, but the grip needed some modification for my hand. When I saw the latest version, I put it on the build list.
    Well, today I pulled out my drill and Dremel tool and within 15 minutes I was working it with the files. I took my time with this step and the fine sanding but from start to finish was less than an hour on the frame.
    I was expecting the frame parts kit in the mail a few days ago but the USPS has lost the package and since I really wanted to finish this frame today, I stripped the other v1.5 frame for what I needed.
    I will say that everything went together very nicely and there is a noticeable difference in the function of the mag release. It is much smoother than the earlier version and the magazine seems to be easier to change. I am not sure if that is because the bottom of the magazine well is more compact or if there is a difference in some dimensions inside.
    The Polymer80 that I got this time had the textured frame, too. I have not yet had it to the range, but I am looking forward to it. This frame fits my hand much better than the last version and should be more comfortable to shoot.
    In closing, if you looked at the older Polymer80s and were not a fan, check out the latest versions. One thing that they have done is listen to customer feedback and incorporated it into improving the product. I would recommend these new frames to anyone with basic mechanical ability. If you watch, you can find them on sale lately for around $120 shipped.
    Since my v1.5 frame is now stripped, I am going to cut the mag well down closer to the new frame's size. It will take a couple of weeks for my parts kit to be resent(doing a search yada yada), so I will have time to try to make it look like it was not done by a shaky handed old fart!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    where did you get your glock parts kit to finish the build?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I am just finishing my Polymer 80 G19 build and it was extremely easy. Got this custom Slide Completion kit from 80percentglock.com for $394. Very fast shipping and when I thought they sent the wrong slide they offered to pay for return shipping and credit me $30 for my trouble. I was wrong, they weren't, but i was impressed with their customer service.

1 × G19 Customized Complete Upper Kit --10% Off Package--
    Slide Type: OD Green Cerakoted Slide For Glock 9mm Gen1-3 G19 416 Stainless Steel
    Barrel Type: G19 Ported Match 9mm Barrel Black Nitride Coated
    Upper parts kit
    Includes Sites
    G19 Guide Rod

Midway had the 80% lower on sale for $113 and the lower completion kit was $59.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Midway puts the parts for Glock builds on sale almost every month.

I recommend using the Glock OEM parts kits if you want you build to be 100% reliable in a fight.

I installed a Wolff competition spring kit in my first build and had problems with FTF almost immediately for light primer strikes. Put the OEM springs in and haven't had a single problem since. Glocks are not supposed to be target pistols!

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Does this one have metal rails?
    Yes, but the issue I've had with the last 4 Gen 2's I've done has been the same, and it's the rear rail module.

The front module is clearly milled out of hardened steel and the extra rail surface contact area is fantastic - but born / bred out of the Gen 1's lack of metal rear rails. The Gen2's removed the polymer rail setup from the Gen1's but they skimped on the rear rail module by stamping / folding it instead of milling it like they did with the front rail block.

I've had to deburr the front face of the rear rail module on all four where the trigger bar rubs the front of the rail module. It was causing, identically, all four builds to reset the trigger upon racking the slide, but if you held the trigger down and released the slide, the trigger would not reset. Dremel + 1 minute on each and they all work well, but it's confusing why they'd R&R these fantastic front rail modules and then cheap out on the rears.

ecampo

Mar 3, 2008
    I've had to deburr the front face of the rear rail module on all four where the trigger bar rubs the front of the rail module. It was causing, identically, all four builds to reset the trigger upon racking the slide, but if you held the trigger down and released the slide, the trigger would not reset. Dremel + 1 minute on each and they all work well, but it's confusing why they'd R&R these fantastic front rail modules and then cheap out on the rears.

I am having this exact issue on my recent build and could not figure out why. I will try cleaning up the rear rail.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    I am having this exact issue on my recent build and could not figure out why. I will try cleaning up the rear rail.
    Sorry in advance for the potato-level quality, but at work and can't photo my own. The circled area in red is where I had to remove a small amount of material. A few passes with a file should be enough but make sure you check it between filings so you don't overdo it.

2zxtpnp.jpg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I did not have any issues with the rear rails in the one I just finished and it is a version 2. The trigger bar is clear of the rail and the trigger resets as it should.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    I did not have any issues with the rear rails in the one I just finished and it is a version 2. The trigger bar is clear of the rail and the trigger resets as it should.
    YMMV, FWIW I've built 12 of these, 3 Gen1s and 9 Gen2s and only four of the Gen2's had this issue, so it may have been that particular run / batch, but if you YouTube the problem, it's far from unique.

ecampo

Mar 3, 2008
    Sorry in advance for the potato-level quality, but at work and can't photo my own. The circled area in red is where I had to remove a small amount of material. A few passes with a file should be enough but make sure you check it between filings so you don't overdo it.

2zxtpnp.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I pulled the rear rail and you can clearly see the burr where trigger bar was making contact. Quick pass with a file and it is good to go.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I just finished my first build of one of these (P80v2,9mm) and range tested last Sunday.

Initial slide fit was VERY tight, although that was due to the aftermarket slide I purchased. A factory Glock 17 slide functioned perfectly.

After clearencing the slide with a thin file and removing about .002-.005", then hand cycling it several hundred times while lubed up with lapping compound, the slide cycling was butter smooth.

At the range, the first three mags rapid fire had no issues whatsoever. After 50 rounds in a couple minutes, the gun was hot and started to have extraction issues, with the slide stopping before the case was fully out of the chamber. When the gun was stripped and allowed to cool, proper function came back, but then problems again after heating up again.

Finally after several cycles of heat up and cool down, it began to function even while very hot. I ran through the last 100 rounds in under 2 minutes without any issues at all, and only stopped because I ran out of ammo. The slide was hot enough for spit to sizzle on it, so I stripped it and let it and the barrel cool for about 10 minutes before packing it up and leaving.

The purpose of the trip was not just to see if it worked (it does) but also to beat on it and see if anything broke, fell off or came lose. Nothing did.

Final verdict, I like this pistol. I'll be building several more.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I just finished my first build of one of these (P80v2,9mm) and range tested last Sunday.

Initial slide fit was VERY tight, although that was due to the aftermarket slide I purchased. A factory Glock 17 slide functioned perfectly.

After clearencing the slide with a thin file and removing about .002-.005", then hand cycling it several hundred times while lubed up with lapping compound, the slide cycling was butter smooth.

At the range, the first three mags rapid fire had no issues whatsoever. After 50 rounds in a couple minutes, the gun was hot and started to have extraction issues, with the slide stopping before the case was fully out of the chamber. When the gun was stripped and allowed to cool, proper function came back, but then problems again after heating up again.

Finally after several cycles of heat up and cool down, it began to function even while very hot. I ran through the last 100 rounds in under 2 minutes without any issues at all, and only stopped because I ran out of ammo. The slide was hot enough for spit to sizzle on it, so I stripped it and let it and the barrel cool for about 10 minutes before packing it up and leaving.

The purpose of the trip was not just to see if it worked (it does) but also to beat on it and see if anything broke, fell off or came lose. Nothing did.

Final verdict, I like this pistol. I'll be building several more.

What slide do you have? I had good luck with the Swenson I bought from Midway along with a Lone Wolf barrel. It works well on both of my builds without any fitting problems.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    What slide do you have? I had good luck with the Swenson I bought from Midway along with a Lone Wolf barrel. It works well on both of my builds without any fitting problems.
    P80 has a note somewhere about the issue with the rear rails. I have had that with the last couple of builds I have done/helped with, so I just clean em up before I assemble now.. lol

In regards to the Swenson slides, be careful, as a buddy bought a Swenson slide and barrel (G17) (from Midway) recently for his build, when we went to assemble the slide, the barrel would not even drop into the slide. The slide needed some fine tuning to get the barrel to drop in and the firing pin channel needed reaming to the proper size to get the channel liner installed. Just a heads up based on a recent experience... ;)

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I don't know what kind of slide was included in the kit. I know the barrel is a Suarez threaded. The slide is a no-name-no-info unit with a raw stainless finish and front and rear serrations.

Measuring the rail channels on the slide with feeler gauges, I could see the channels themselves are about .0015" narrower than Glock rail channels, so they're clearly tighter.

I may buff and polish the inside of the chamber, too. There may be burrs inside which are just aggressive enough to grab the case and hold it once the gun is hot and the chamber is a bit tighter from inward expansion of the metal

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm thinking I'm going to try one of these next month. Looks very easy to do, and I've been meaning to do another Glock.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I get the appeal of making your own, but for the cost of a new G19 what benefit do you get to going this route. are the lone wolf components that much better??

** I know nothing about glocks as I am a certified Sig fan boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom