• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    You are correct that some jobs don't require SC/TSC. I am seeing some jobs I can apply.

Thank you.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I went ahead and applied at Northrop but is it OK that I only know some on this list but not all?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum of 3 or more years of experience Javascript front-end/back-end development experience
    Minimum of 2 or more years of experience in With Serialization Types Extensible Markup Language (XML) & JavaScript Object Notation (JSON)
    Minimum of 1 or more years experience with Express, Reactjs, Nodejs with a MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, and/or PostgreSQL database:

Experience with popular Node.js web frameworks and/or utility libraries such as: Express, Hapi, Underscore/Lodash, Async, Bluebird, and Grunt.
    Experience with code coverage, unit testing, and integration tests.
    Experience with version control systems (e.g. Git).
    Strong proficiency working with database systems such as MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, and/or PostgreSQL.

Minimum of 1 or more years of experience in Agile/Scrum methodology and tools (e.g. such as Rally, JIRA, or Version One)
    Minimum of 6 or more months experience in at least two of the following technologies: Node.js, and/or React.js., Angular, Express.js, NGINX, and Redis

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    GutPile,

I experienced all you said. Lot of phone calls from bottom feeders who don't have any business relationship with hiring companies.

I have gotten quite many contracting companies who try to place me at some gov contracting sites but I don't hear anything from them after sending over resume. Maybe gov shutdown is preventing anyone from answering yes or no.

A good question to ask you is that what is the alternate career can a person with Computer Science background do? This thread is not a place for this discussion but I also keep an eye out for 10 years down the road.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    GutPile,

One more question...How do you deal with programming test screening before interview where you have to write 3 programs and answering 8 questions in 60 minutes?

I am terrible at something like test since I left college 25 years ago.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I went ahead and applied at Northrop but is it OK that I only know some on this list but not all?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum of 3 or more years of experience Javascript front-end/back-end development experience
    Minimum of 2 or more years of experience in With Serialization Types Extensible Markup Language (XML) & JavaScript Object Notation (JSON)
    Minimum of 1 or more years experience with Express, Reactjs, Nodejs with a MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, and/or PostgreSQL database:

Experience with popular Node.js web frameworks and/or utility libraries such as: Express, Hapi, Underscore/Lodash, Async, Bluebird, and Grunt.
    Strong proficiency working with database systems such as MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, and/or PostgreSQL.

Minimum of 1 or more years of experience in Agile/Scrum methodology and tools (e.g. such as Rally, JIRA, or Version One)
    Minimum of 6 or more months experience in at least two of the following technologies: Node.js, and/or React.js., Angular, Express.js, NGINX, and Redis
    It all depends on the grade level of the posting, I'm more involved in hardware engineering and when we put a job posting together went build a laundry list. Its rare we get someone that hits all points. many times it comes general experience, additude, and foundation to build on. Also depends on what business sector the job is in determines the overall discipline such at embedded firmware, system or multitiered systems.

wishing good luck!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland

Depends. It's been really hard for NG, and other companies, to fill the exact needs of a request. Ive seen spots filled by applicants with only 1/2 of the desired skills.

The job requirements look like ones ive seen for the SSA. Is it? If so, let me know.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Guys,

I have thought about it but didn't do it. Finally, a good hearted person on here suggested that I should ask in this board.

So I have been a software developer for 23 years with C, C++, C#, Microsoft stack like WinForm and ASP.NET MVC, along with many other acronyms like Linux, Javascript, and SQL.

I'm looking for a permanent job nationwide or some interim work locally here in Metro DC/MD/VA area.

If you know any lead, please let me know.

Thanks.

I’d take a look at Fannie Mae. They are always looking for programmers and developers.

PenFed hires a lot of Tech consultants and contractors.

Good luck!!

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Amazon only wants 20-30 year old H1bs for $10 an hour or purple haired gender confused millennials willing to work 90 hours a week. Anyone with 23 years of experience is pretty well fcked. Its just how things work. Only field where you are a liability the wiser you are because you have learned how not to get fcked.

When I read your comment I immediately remembered this video. The first 20 secs is all anyone needs to see....

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    GutPile,

One more question...How do you deal with programming test screening before interview where you have to write 3 programs and answering 8 questions in 60 minutes?

Me too. I had one of these interviews last year. The test was to modify an existing .NET MVC app according to some written requirements. Then, there was also a SQL test, 3 progressively harder questions. One of them required knowledge of a transact SQL function which I had never used before. So during the 60 minutes I was given to do the .NET and SQL parts I also had to educate myself on this function, figure out how to use it and then apply the test parameters to it. I almost got the test done. What was cool was the guy interviewing me brought up my code and we went through it line by line. He gave me a chance to explain my thought process. He said on the most difficult SQL question I was on the write path and about to finish it. They ended up not extending an offer to me. Looking back I'm glad they didn't because that organization has changed for the worse. Now I am interviewing people who work there asking me for a job.

There should be plenty of these types of tests on the internet for you to use to learn with. I wouldn't be surprised if they just copy/paste these problems for the real interview. You should familiarize yourself with certain types of programming problems. One of the things I missed during my interview was not being fluent in regex. That's something easy to learn on your own.

Just do your best and try not to get too worked up about it. It may take a few interviews to get back into the swing of things. Not all programming jobs are for all people. We interviewed a very talented gaming developer last month. She was very bright but we just didn't have the need for her type of talent. Some might advertise .NET C# and "other duties as assigned". Make sure you ask them what typically that would include. You don't want to get blindsided accepting an offer and find out they really wanted you to do crappy COTS support.

I do a lot of the interviewing for my department. Feel free to PM me for more questions or we could even chat if you want.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Yoshi,

It is an old job listed back in Dec 2018 for Node.js Developer 3/4 on Northrop careers page.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    GutPile,

Like anything you just need to prepare yourself for it. As much as it sucks I usually sit down the day before and pretend like its CompSci 101 exam and bust out some basic sort/loop algorithm problems. Remember we have forgotten as much as we have learned at our age. Its like archery practice during hunting season for me. I still have to throw an arrow down range a day. But I think some places take this too far to the point where they are farming work out. Anything more than a few simple console apps is too far.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    When I read you're comment I immediately remembered this video. The first 20 secs is all anyone needs to see....

And these idiots currently run the internet. The next downturn can't come soon enough. Sure I might end up having to work as a wallmart greeter for a while but I can still code circles around these fairies that will have an even tougher time having never been through a real recession.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Not to derail the thread but it also bumps it back to the main page.

We have had quite a few summer/winter interns come through as computer science or electrical engineering majors. Near zero passion for anything associated with computers, electronics, technology in general. Also virtually no experience in things that come with the territory. Like electrical enginer that has never soldered or programmer that has no idea what parts are in their home computer or how to build a computer.

Also noticing people getting cyber security degrees and becoming sysadmins that are borderline luddites.

Anyone else noticing this?

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Sorry OP. Im probably the same age/skillset. Its all about our age and the fact that we are not off the boat H1Bs willing to starve and be stacked into an apartment with 30 others. I'm socking away all that I can because I know that my days in the business are numbered (Just turned 40). I've built major systems for banks, insurance companies, lead teams, divisions of developers, still write code and contribute to a few open source projects including .net core. Doesn't matter when Bunny in HR wants Apu for $15 an hour.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. There are Federal laws that set a baseline of what the employers can pay their H1B visa contractors.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/immigration/h1b.htm

As for OP, I know a few Software Engineers (Backend engineers like yourself) in central MD in their 50's and they do just fine finding work, they are in demand. I am surprised you are having issues. There must be something you are not doing right. Do you have a site with examples of your work? Portfolio? Maybe you interview poorly.

One thing as you know, many Software Engineer jobs in central MD do require a Security Clearance since there are so many federal contracting firms around.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    And these idiots currently run the internet. The next downturn can't come soon enough. Sure I might end up having to work as a wallmart greeter for a while but I can still code circles around these fairies that will have an even tougher time having never been through a real recession.

You think the person in that video represents 90% of Google engineers? Don't be delusional. Yeah they have weird people but the vast majority are competent engineers.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    My wife used to do it work for corporate law firms in Baltimore and DC. Paid better than non law firm work for the same job. About 100k or so and that was 5-10 years ago. She is no longer in the business there but her friends are. Worth checking out.

Good luck to you.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Not to derail the thread but it also bumps it back to the main page.

We have had quite a few summer/winter interns come through as computer science or electrical engineering majors. Near zero passion for anything associated with computers, electronics, technology in general. Also virtually no experience in things that come with the territory. Like electrical enginer that has never soldered or programmer that has no idea what parts are in their home computer or how to build a computer.

Also noticing people getting cyber security degrees and becoming sysadmins that are borderline luddites.

Anyone else noticing this?

For the cost of one Senior programmer in the US I can hire 4 in India. It sucks but it is reality. When we have a programmer position open up they, upper management, tells us that we can only hire in a lost cost geo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom