• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Correct me if im wrong but I do believe this round was actually developed for shooting through windshields more accurately. The small caliber faster moving round is less effected when passing through angled glass. If you look at a car after a police shoot out, if the officer used his weapon on the windshield with a .40 you will typically see bullet holes in the dashboard.

you're wrong
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

haha thanks for the caliber debate thread guys, i think i just pee'd a little

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nope, its a proprietary chambering that magazine writer Johnny Rowland, Clark custom guns and starline brass came up with. Reinforced cases that are almost the exact same dimentions, just .062" longer than 45ACP to prevent them from being used in 45ACP guns, but loaded to the same OAL, and fit in standard 45acp mags. The pressure spec is 42,500PSI, double the 21,000PSI of standard 45ACP, and 50% higher than the 28,000psi of 45 super, in fact higher pressure than 10mm, 44mag, 45 win mag, 38 super and 30-30win. This gives you about equal power to factory 44mag, and low end 44mag handloads from a 6" gun out of a 45ACP case and 5" 1911 sized pistol..

185gr(JHP) - 1550FPS - 986FPE
    200gr(JHP) - 1450FPS - 933FPE
    230gr(FMJ) - 1350FPS - 930FPE
    260gr(LRN) - 1150FPS - 763FPE

The drop in conversion Clark custom sells uses a pretty efficient compensator to slow down the slide, and extend lock time a little bit, without it the caliber would probably require around a 30# spring, the Wilson hunter in 360 Rowland uses a 28# spring without a comp, but uses a sqare firing pin retainer, and a heavy hammer spring. My Kimber with the 460Rowland kit works best with a 20# spring and my "light" handloads, 200gr XTP at 1350FPS. The kit can also fire 45ACP and 45 super because of the tapered leade, these have slightly shorter cases, but a pistol with a good extractor can hold them aggainst the breech face well enough that they will fire, in my case they do so reliably, being they can't headspace on the chamber mouth like the Rowland cases do. The barrel is very well made, high grade stainless steel machined from bar stock, the rifling is sharp, and the finish is smooth, without a doubt it will accelerate wear on the pistol, but when used in moderation is streaches the 1911's abilities far into 44mag territory with a lot less recoil due to the comp, and in an auto. The round is also supremely accurate, and is capable of impressive groups out past 100 yards (my best so far is about 6" at 100 yards from a rest), while at 300 yards a heavy 230gr Rowland load has about the same velocity and energy with the same bullet as a standard 45ACP 1911 has at the muzzle.

While it is impressive performance, and relatively easy to throw a lot of lead quickly due to the well designed comp, it is LOUD and the flash is ridiculous, it would be unberable to shoot without ears, and the flash is blinding at night, there are also few factory loads for it, and they are expensive, it is basically relegated to hunting, targets and silouette shooting. I has also proven to be an awesome bowling pin gun with 260gr hardcast at a modest 950-1,000FPS it throws pins like nothing else, and feels about the same as standard 230gr 45acp ball loads recoil wise, but with no muzzle flip due to the comp.

Here is my Kimber with the 460 CLark custom kit and a 50yd target:
    View attachment 16002

yerp, ures is fun...BOOM!....ding...BOOM!...................ding... sure has some lag time far out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    you're wrong
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

haha thanks for the caliber debate thread guys, i think i just pee'd a little

That pretty well illustrates the difference between energy vs momentum, energy is largely wasted in streaching soft tissue that will spring back into shape without damage, momentum helps overcome resistance in tissue, and penetrating hard cover with less deflection and more efficient soft tissue penetration given the same initial energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom