• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Hope this is an appropriate place for this kind of question.

Anyone have any suggestions for a Long Term Care/Rehab facility in the Brandywine area preferably but anywhere in Southern MD or even up to Baltimore/Annapolis area are ok.

My father was hospitalized for the last almost 3 weeks with a severe case of pneumonia and septic shock/sepsis. The pneumonia and septic shock are all gone, he is just very weak now and needs to go to a place to recover and get stronger.

He was admitted to Communicare in Fort Washington (12021 Livingston Road) on release from the hospital, but within 5 hours he called me and said he wasnt staying and I didnt pick him up he would walk out. So I went and saw just how bad it was (he was transferred at 9pm last night while I was working) and immediatly demanded his release. The place was a dark musty dingy (I am holding back some, it was a shit-hole.) Maybe there is apart of the place that looks like the brochure or thier website, but I didnt see it anywhere in the walk though the place to get him)

I took him straight to a hospital ER from there (he still had a Foley catheter and IV's and is too weak to be home)

They are going to keep him at the hospital until I find a rehab place for him to be transferred to. (Walter Reed is and has been very good about this)

Google reviews are about as useless for this as they are for ER's, you only really get the negatives and most of those seem to be people who seem overly entitled or annoyed that someone was more sick than them got more attention faster kinda thing.

Looking for any suggestions especially from people with first hand experience.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I don't have personal experience with inpatient rehab. So this is not experience as a patient or a family member.

But I work with MedStar hospitals as a business partner. I am in their facilities several times a year.

They are always clean and the staff seems friendly at every location. I can't speak to any of their hospitals' rehab units specifically but I can say their facilities overall are clean and safe for humans. (I have been to the kind of facility you had experience with this week and I agree....they are not safe for human use)

North of Baltimore I can personally vouch for GMBC hospital. Their rehab facilities and staff are great. But I am not sure if they take transfer patients. I think they reserve their rehab unit for people who have surgeries in the hospital. But they are worth calling.

Your best bet is to talk to your primary care doc. Doesn't even have to be your dad's. Yours will do if he/she is a decent doc. No matter how much we know about medical facilities....doctors know more. They know people who work at the. They know what facilities have good care. Just call and ask. U fortunately you probably have to wait until Monday to do that, and this sounds like something you need to figure out tomorrow.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    We had a pretty good experience with the LaPlata assisted living facility some years ago with my Grandmother. Don't know about now.
    More recently we've had my Mother-in-Law hospitalized in Annapolis twice this year, and each time she needed Rehab after for weeks.
    First time she convalesced at Crofton Rehab and it was OK, but that they ended up sending her home before she was ready. She still couldn't get up out of a chair consistently.
    The second time was at Fairmont in Crownsville, who did a better job with PT and prepping her to step back into her life. (she did say the food sucked...)
    PM if there are specific Q's that I can answer.
    Prayers up for his quick recovery, and strength and patience for you!

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    My mom's at the Severna Park location of http://www.genesishcc.com/ and we aren't necessarily totally thrilled with them, but that has more to do with her not having the strength to even get out of bed and having an issue eating enough, but that was the same with the hospital food. So if he can at least do that he should be ok.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have a bit of time to decide so am going to try to visit a few of these places to take a look. Genesis was mentioned by one of his nurses while hospitalized and they have a place less than 8 miles from me so that might be ideal gonna have to do a bit more looking at them. Charlotte Hall veterans home I had forgotten about totally, gonna see if he qualifies/etc as well. He was hospitalized at a Medstar hospital last August and liked it, gonna look at their rehab stuff too.

Basically he can feed himself, clean himself, etc but cant really walk more than 10 or so steps before needing assistance (weak and tired) he also needs to continue Oxygen therapy which I assume most places can do but will have to ask specifically.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    We had a perfect experience at Restore Health Rehabilitation Center in a White Plains. Good luck....

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    We had a perfect experience at Restore Health Rehabilitation Center in a White Plains. Good luck....

We visited a few places, Restore among them and they are choice #2 right now.

Sagepoint in La Plata has private rooms for his rehab which is a bonus and is where we are going to ask the hospital to send him. (Restore only has shared rooms available at the moment, which should be OK for him if as a fallback)

Both looked very nice and the staff were very nice that we met.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Shared rooms can be a nightmare.

My mom spent some time in a rehab after a hospital stay and they didn't offer private rooms. One woman she roomed with initially was a victim of severe dementia and spent about half her waking hours screaming for the staff, and the other half wimpering that she had to go to the hospital. Staff had learned to ignore her and tried to minimize the problem to us. We had to threaten to take her out of the facility and file a complaint with Medicare to get any action. Got her moved into a second room, with a lady who was "hard of hearing" (deaf as a F'N stump) and had her TV blaring non-stop. Couldn't talk over it, couldn't sleep... Her final, third roommate was hot-blooded and had to have the AC at max all the time, but at least mom could cover up. The facility was mostly fine, it was the inmates...

ETA:
    ....Both looked very nice and the staff were very nice that we met.
    The "staff you met" were on their very best behavior and likely hand-picked for sales/PR.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I can’t think of an one I would recommend in PG. 12021 (s-hole is definitely an accurate description) is better than most on the county if that gives you any idea how bad most are.
    My mother in law went to the one next to the hospital in Prince Frederick last year and it was bad (like filed complaints with the state bad). She ended up going to the one on Dowell rd in Solomons and it was really nice. She had nothing but good things to say about the facility and staff. She went for rehab after spinal surgery. I hope this helps a little bit.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    ETA:
    The "staff you met" were on their very best behavior and likely hand-picked for sales/PR.

I worried about that, so all of our visits were "drop in" we walked in and explained the situation and asked for a tour. If they said no we walked. If they said yes we did the tour first then the small talk.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I worried about that, so all of our visits were "drop in" we walked in and explained the situation and asked for a tour. If they said no we walked. If they said yes we did the tour first then the small talk.
    Good plan!

I got stopped in the parking lot on my way out one evening by a woman who wanted to ask a few questions. Her husband needed a rehab and she was investigating. She wanted to know if I had relatives there, how they were treated, how they liked it, staff... Decent tactic, I thought.

IMO: From what I've seen, a lot of it is how well the patient can fend for themselves. People who are completely helpless and cannot effectively advocate for themselves tend to get substandard service in these facilities. Someone who is alert and mentally stable, just nursing a bum leg or recovering from surgery and can speak up will get more reasonable service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom