• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Hello MDS brain trust!

I am finally taking the plunge on a 2011, with a custom (and bare) frame from Rogue Tactical (SS, Commander length).

I am starting to look at the parts to build it out. Goal is commander length with an orientation to CCW suitability, *not* race gun. Now, I have questions, because this is my first rodeo with building one ground up (plenty of 1911's, but no 2011's).

I am leaning towards .357 sig (I already run a good bit of it, and think it would be a nice option, and allow upgrade to 10mm). I understand barrel choice is heavily limited, especially in commander configuration (essentially, fusion firearms only). Any reasons this is not feasible. Frame is Para/Clark cut.

Slide, I want something custom, and it looks like Caspian may be the way to go in that regard - but I'm struggling to find some examples of the options on there for comparison sake (e.g. top cut options, serration options - I don't know what "crew cut" or "high and tight" are versus flat top, nor what the various serration options look like; if anyone has a source to explain or provide example?). Any other suggestions for slide sources? Stainless or nitrided are both fine; Novak cut F/R; preference front AND rear serrations (not GI).

This project is necessarily going to be expensive, and I am looking to go somewhere between mid-high end, so I don't mind pricier options, but at the same time I don't want to drop $2,500 for a slide/bbl/bushing combo.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Do you actually want opinions? Because I have some, and you probably will not like them.

Yes I do - I mean, if you're going to tell me 2011's are no-good, very-bad, abominations of a classic design, that is probably wasted typeface. :) I've always wanted a 2011, just because.

Things I am stuck on: 2011, not race gun orientation (I say ccw suitability, but to be clear it is unlikely to actually be used for that purpose); P/C ramp cut

Things I could be swayed from, but am fairly certain of: commander length

Things I am leaning towards, but could reconsider easily: 357 sig, Novak sights.

Things I am absolutely not committed to: Caspian slide

All opinions are welcome; my three biggest questions, to boil it down:

1) any reason why .357 sig would be a bad idea (aside from personal distaste of the round);

2) landmines to watch for with 2011's that are different or perhaps unexpected coming from 1911's

3) slide as discussed above

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    sti (now staccato) has made .357 sig Edge's (5" 2011) in the not too distant history, i think for overseas IPSC before it became legal for major power factor here in uspsa in limited division.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes I do - I mean, if you're going to tell me 2011's are no-good, very-bad, abominations of a classic design, that is probably wasted typeface. :) I've always wanted a 2011, just because.
    Here is my unpopular take: you will save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by just buying a Staccato C2 DPO T up front. 2011s are temperamental beasts on a good day, and that combined with not having a factory warranty to fall back on does not seem like a good idea for a carry piece.

Also, .357 Sig is basically a dead caliber and not tremendously more effective than other options. Either suck it up and go all the way to .40S&W (which is at least on life support), or stay with 9mm (your best option).

It's also really unclear to me what you plan on doing with this thing. Are you gonna compete? Are you going to carry? You're changing the mission each post, and that really does impact recommendations.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Go .38 Super.

That is the other serious temptation, just not sure if I want to addd a new caliber.

Here is my unpopular take: you will save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by just buying a Staccato C2 DPO T up front. 2011s are temperamental beasts on a good day, and that combined with not having a factory warranty to fall back on does not seem like a good idea for a carry piece.

Also, .357 Sig is basically a dead caliber and not tremendously more effective than other options. Either suck it up and go all the way to .40S&W (which is at least on life support), or stay with 9mm (your best option).

It's also really unclear to me what you plan on doing with this thing. Are you gonna compete? Are you going to carry? You're changing the mission each post, and that really does impact recommendations.

I know buying is cheaper in the long run, and I may find myself having to solve problems. But I have always wanted one of these (and the desire has been to build for nearly as long).

Purpose is range toy for the time being, but I want to set it up to at least consider carry down the road.

I hear you on .357 sig, but I like it and load for it. I good at personifying an unpopular opinion :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    “Crew Cut” is a flat top Glocky blocky looking slide option with the two longitudinal corners rounded. Frame dust cover is similar.
    “High and Tight” is a crew cut with a tri-top cut (45 degree length wise cuts off left and right side top corners) as close to the slide’s barrel bore as structurally possible.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/caspian-putting-on-some-new-looks.993110/#post-12848590

Caspian probably has the greatest number of options without going to custom 1911 builder. Remsport TR-Enabling has some generic options for not too bad a price.

Caliber you’ve chosen. Sounds like fun. 40 S&W is available anywhere (normally) and is a great round. There is no change in capacity.

I am not sure if it is still an issue or not. The polymer grip frame would stretch if left with a loaded magazine constantly inside it causing misfeeds.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    “Crew Cut” is a flat top Glocky blocky looking slide option with the two longitudinal corners rounded. Frame dust cover is similar.
    “High and Tight” is a crew cut with a tri-top cut (45 degree length wise cuts off left and right side top corners) as close to the slide’s barrel bore as structurally possible.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/caspian-putting-on-some-new-looks.993110/#post-12848590

Caspian probably has the greatest number of options without going to custom 1911 builder. Remsport TR-Enabling has some generic options for not too bad a price.

Caliber you’ve chosen. Sounds like fun. 40 S&W is available anywhere (normally) and is a great round. There is no change in capacity.

I am not sure if it is still an issue or not. The polymer grip frame would stretch if left with a loaded magazine constantly inside it causing misfeeds.

Thank you for the info! I had been scratching my head trying to figure out those cut options!

And thanks for the heads up on grip stretch!

I had heard a couple rumors where it was suggested bottleneck was a problem in 19/2011’s, but no one could give an explanation that wasn’t resolved with a ramped barrel... the way I see it, barrels are technically a wear item and I can swap to 40 or 10mm with a barrel change. A couple hundred bucks is worth the price of admission to give it a shot for me (unless there is some demonstrable truth to that rumor)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I’ve got a switch caliber single stack 1911, 40/38 Super. Along with the barrel I fitted accompanying extractors, mainspring with housing, recoil spring, and even firing pin stop for each caliber. Of course, necessary magazine(s). The 357 Sig and 40 can get by with same everything except barrel since they are similar intensities. Barrel swaps are straight forward.

I don’t have any experience with the 2011’s so can’t speak of any other nuances. My 1911 hi-cap experience lays with the Para guns. The sticky issue with those is typically the magazines.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're going through all that, you may as well order an SVI. I'd skip the 357 Sig and go straight to 10mm. How does you "list" handle custom shop guns?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Update: went with 10mm (Jarvis barrel), Caspian Slide with their version of tri-cut, and an extreme shooters VIP grip. It will be a couple months before the slide arrives, so I’ll be picking up the balance of internals slowly. I think I’m going to go with an SVI trigger, probably Wilson Combat for the balance of 1911 compatible parts. Just debating stainless or blued/nitrided for the external control (stainless frame and slide, black grip module).

I probably won’t have this finished before Memorial Day, but it will be a fun project (and exercise in patience)!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Damn, I thought you had a typo in your title asking about how to do the virtual "Plunge" this year!!!

P.S. Tapatalk kinda hides the category the post is in.....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Well, my Caspian slide should be here today (after the Jarvis barrel arrived about a month ago). I’ll be waiting on the UPS man impatiently :) Just about 19 weeks since I ordered it... I’ve collected every other part (except the barrel bushing which I have waited until hopefully this evening to order after taking calipers to the slide), as well as some tools specific to proper xx11 fitting. With summer and homestead projects in full swing outside it will probably take me at least another month to get this completed but I’m stoked that the wait is finally over :D

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    My son’s broken leg is probably going to delay commencement of work for a couple weeks, but I thought I’d share some pictures of slide. Caspian custom in 10/40, Jarvis commander barrel in 10mm, frame from Rogue Tac (but I need to nip the dust cover back; they are provided long so the end user can decide how to complete the dust cover - as you can see from the slide cuts I’m planning on having the dust cover run full length.

Internals/small parts are all EGW, Nighthawk, C&S. This will either be my new hands down favorite or the biggest waste of money since my first foray in HK. But I am really looking forward to fitting this myself. I’ve built a couple 1911’s before, but all governments and with mostly “drop in” parts, as opposed to these which are all hand fit.

If anyone knows a local shop that can do TiCN coatings, I may well get the rest of the stainless controls finished to match the barrel.

Super excited!

Attachments

• 29EBB591-B314-45D8-9371-0874204B8218.jpg
      29EBB591-B314-45D8-9371-0874204B8218.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 203
    • FEF6F202-CF9C-46E0-AE5C-9207B2D4D3ED.jpg
      FEF6F202-CF9C-46E0-AE5C-9207B2D4D3ED.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 214

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    That is one sexy looking set of parts.

This is exactly what I am interested in doing soon( by years end).

Hope your sons leg heals well

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nice. I have an 80% 2011 receiver and plan on doing a 6” barreled 10mm. Will be watching this thread!

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Many hours over three months, and I have it functional! Still need to clean up the front end since the slide was oversized and needed ~1.5” of reduction, and blend the ejector (along with a handful of smaller clean up jobs, but I can’t wait for a range trip!

Still undecided about the safety and whether to go ambi but we’ll see...

Attachments

• 72A1D5E0-E80F-4579-B6D8-D7B01DD75171.jpg
      72A1D5E0-E80F-4579-B6D8-D7B01DD75171.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 123
    • 16271DFE-09BC-4CD0-9BA5-26193935169F.jpg
      16271DFE-09BC-4CD0-9BA5-26193935169F.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 119

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Clean work so far. Some final blending and cosmetic touches after test firing and proving it. Need to see test targets.

Cheers! I've been impressed with your contemporaneous threads with some fine 1911 work, so I appreciate the approval :)

It'll probably be a few weeks before I can get out between work and family commitments, but I will make sure to document the targets and share the results (as well as some glamour shots when I get the cosmetic touches finished)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom