• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilfieryred

Oct 9, 2019
    Hi, I'm new here. I'm located in the Mt Airy area of Frederick County. I have 2 guns (handgun and rifle) I would like to sell but I have no idea where to even begin. Could someone please help me out?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hi, I'm new here. I'm located in the Mt Airy area of Frederick County. I have 2 guns (handgun and rifle) I would like to sell but I have no idea where to even begin. Could someone please help me out?

You have a few options...

Option 1) put on consignment with a local gun shop - they sell it for you and take something like 20% of the sale price...

Option 2) If the rifle is classified as a long gun, you can sell it to another MD resident face to face without a FLL - but you should be darn certain that whoever you are selling it to is legally allowed to posses a firearm. The pistol will have to be transferred through an FFL (most charge between $50 and $100 per transfer - call ahead to find ones that will do it for cheap).

Option 3) sell directly to a gun shop that sells used guns - you may or may not get a good price for them, as they will need to turn a profit in a resale.

Option 4 ) post to classifieds, like the one on here, but you need to participate to a certain degree on here to gain privileges to post. There are a number of other classifieds that might be available to you. Gunbroker comes to mind...

Good luck with sale. What kind of pistol and rifle?

Last edited:

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    There are plenty of ways to sell, but you will probably have to be more specific on which guns they are. Gunbroker, classifieds, dealers, armslist, etc.

lilfieryred

Oct 9, 2019
    You have a few options...

Option 1) put on consignment with a local gun shop - they sell it for you and take something like 20% of the sale price...

Option 2) If the rifle is classified as a long gun, you can sell it to another MD resident face to face without a FLL - but you should be darn certain that whoever you are selling it to is legally allowed to posses a firearm. The pistol will have to be transferred through an FFL (most charge between $50 and $100 per transfer - call ahead to find ones that will do it for cheap).

Option 3) sell directly to a gun shop that sells used guns - you may or may not get a good price for them, as they will need to turn a profit in a resale.

Option 4 ) post to classifieds, like the one on here, but you need to participate to a certain degree on here to gain privileges to post. There are a number of other classifieds that might be available to you. Gunbroker comes to mind...

Good luck with sale. What kind of pistol and rifle?

It's not been easy finding a place locally that buys handguns. I prefer not to consign. I have a Taurus PT 1911 9MM and a Savage Mark 2 bolt action 22 rifle.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    It's not been easy finding a place locally that buys handguns. I prefer not to consign. I have a Taurus PT 1911 9MM and a Savage Mark 2 bolt action 22 rifle.

In my experience be prepared to lose a good deal on the pistol, being a Taurus doesn't help the value either. Fine guns (i've owned two), but they just won't hold value.

If you sell independently, keep in mind that the person buying needs to pay the transfer fee and background check so that will effect the price they are willing to pay.

I believe 2A Sales and Supply and also Atlantic Guns buy used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom