View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:26 PM #413

Well, My boy finally had a deer come in where he could get a shot with the crossbow. It was a nice size 4pt broadside at 30 yds. He got it to come in from100yds using a can and a grunt tube but it was also following scent wicks I had up.
I have no pictures because it ran off with the arrow sticking out of it, I could see the orange fletching. We waited about 15 mins before climbing down and looking where it stood when he shot.
How do you track a deer that leaves 0 blood as it runs?
We went back to the barn and got better flashlights then our headlamps, stopped at the house to tell momma we were tracking a 4 pt and went back to the tree stand. Again 0 blood. No drops on the ground no splatters on the bushes nothing anywhere. OK so we do it the hard way, take the trail and the last direction we saw the deer and follow that shining a light off to either side looking for eyes shining or a body down. Hmmm OK come back on a parallel trail doing the same thing. Crap, all right lets take another trail from the last place we saw it......OK crisscross between trails...come back to the tree stand for the 4th time let's head down to the creek maybe he doubled back when we went up to the barn.. One last thing let's check out this real thick wisteria Hey I see eyes on the other side of the fence. Stand there and watch for a while and they move off so we look for blood, nothing. Follow the horse trail back in the direction the eyes went and still nothing. One last thing I can try, I've shot deer and they've run uphill into the hedgerow behind the back field so we crisscross through that and see eyes again. 3 deer out in the bean field... I am out of ideas by this time so we go back to the stand, collect the bow and head in.. It's 8:15 and we've spent 3 hrs looking for this deer with no luck and not one speck of blood. The only thing I can think from where I saw the fletching is the bolt got stuck in the shoulder. If it's not raining in the morning I'll call in to work and search these woods in the daytime, maybe I'll find it laid up somewhere... I hope.
The one good thing I can take away from this is not once did my son complain about the greenbrier he was caught in or the time we took looking for his deer.
newmuzzleloader is offline   Reply With Quote