• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I’ve been wanting a revolver for my collection for some time now. I missed the opportunity to buy a beautiful s&w model 10 from my cousin but I balked at the price he wanted at first and he sold it to somebody else. I had a Ruger super red hawk in 480 but at the time ammo was expensive so I sold it.
    Now I’m really wanting a 44 mag. A handgun with some horsepower just appeals to me for some reason. I would love to have a Dirty Harry era model 29 with the 5.5” barrel I think it is. But they seem to bring a pretty heavy price tag.
    So what should I be looking for in a used revolver other then the bore, lock up and such? I really want a s&w but I’m open to others. Thanks

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    IMO, the 44 Magnum revolver is the most beautiful handgun made. It's my favorite guns to shoot except I need to wear my pigs and only can go a box or two. I added two more to my collection this week thanks to John at Gym Ratz. Except for the stupid Hillary Hole on the S&W's, I love these things!

SjCHOVU.jpg

epTII7K.jpg

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    My bucket list is short.

A nice revolver. Someone local has a 29 6" barrel, iirc, all nice and pretty for sale iirc it is 800ish.

An ak. Was even at a gun store about 10 years ago and wife said BUY IT, we drove all the way over, you should buy something. It was about 350 then. Didn't do it. Still kicking my own butt for not doing it. Had the money then...

Those are pretty much it. I just got a 938 for 500. Lightly used.

And the only thing shorter than my list is .... the funds.

If you have the itch and can afford it, pull the trigger.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Dirty Harry gun was a 6.5in , but not too long after that, S&W standardized on 6in . Still in S&W , the 629s with 5in full underlug balance similaar to the 6.5in standard bbls .

In other mfgs , the (plain, not Super) Redhawk in 5.5in is a fine gun .

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    The Dirty Harry gun was a 6.5in , but not too long after that, S&W standardized on 6in . Still in S&W , the 629s with 5in full underlug balance similaar to the 6.5in standard bbls .

In other mfgs , the (plain, not Super) Redhawk in 5.5in is a fine gun .

Sure is, the Super Redhawk is a big kluny hunk of metal... the 5.5 Redhawk is a thing of beauty. :thumbsup: I LIKE my SS version.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’ve been wanting a revolver for my collection for some time now. I’m open to others. Thanks

Super ... Blackhawk !!!

Stainless Steel w 7-1/2” bbl

The one I had (and sold, “Doh!”) kept my hand loaded 240gr Sierra Hollowpoints inside a paper plate (9”?) at 100 yards, all day, from any shooting position. Milk jugs at MUCH further distances, for real challenges. That thing was every accurate at times

IIRC, CDNN investments has em from time to time ... https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html#manufacturer=RUGER®&caliber=44 MAG

Best o’ Success!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I believe the OP was asking what to look for on a used .44 Magnum besides tightness of the cylinder lockup and bore condition?

I also look at the top strap, right above the forcing cone, for signs of excessive pressure, along with the gap between the barrel/cylinder and timing of the lock-up itself. How's the cylinder face? Is it scratched as hell from the previous owner trying to clean it with a metal brush?

U7kBz38.jpg

The original Dirty Harry gun is a S&W Model 29-2 with a 6.5" barrel. While the wood grips are pretty, I prefer to shoot mine with a set of old-school Pachmayr target grips.

nqxfFkN.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Used .44mag revolvers tend to be in 2 and a half conditions ;

1. One box or less fired
    1a . Sighted in occasionally for hunting , and resultant holster wear etc from carrying in the woods.
    2. Beat to death by an IHMSA shooter

I Interpeted the OP as specifically interested in DA revolvers . Otherwise I would have lead off with Super Blackhawk / Blackhawk/ Bisley / Vaquero .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have two .44 Magnums...a 6" and 4" Colt Anacondas (4" is factory MagnaPorted). Both are excellent handguns but expensive today due to being snake guns. I've had both since the early '90s. There are some excellent .44 Magnum revolvers out there. In my experience, I've either owned or had the opportunity to shoot examples from Colt, S&W and Ruger...I've no experience with Taurus .44 so I can't give an informed opinion on that. My own experience is that the S&W is the smoothest and best handling, the Rugers (either Redhawk or Blackhawk) are the strongest and the Colt is the most accurate. Even then...the differences are very slim between them and all are more than accurate and strong for the purpose. Individual shooting style and ability can affect those conclusions on my part as well. As often said...your mileage may vary.
    Anacondas.jpg

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the input gents. I have been searching around and it seems the model 29s are still bringing 8 to 900 range. I even checked out the newer 29 classic I think it’s called and that’s almost a grand new!
    I hope to come across someone some day that maybe shot it a few times and put it up because they can’t handle it. A guy can hope right? I have settled on a 29 or 629 though. I thought about a single action but I just love the nostalgia of a classic model 29 or any s&w for that matter.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have two .44 Magnums...a 6" and 4" Colt Anacondas (4" is factory MagnaPorted). Both are excellent handguns but expensive today due to being snake guns. I've had both since the early '90s. There are some excellent .44 Magnum revolvers out there. In my experience, I've either owned or had the opportunity to shoot examples from Colt, S&W and Ruger...I've no experience with Taurus .44 so I can't give an informed opinion on that. My own experience is that the S&W is the smoothest and best handling, the Rugers (either Redhawk or Blackhawk) are the strongest and the Colt is the most accurate. Even then...the differences are very slim between them and all are more than accurate and strong for the purpose. Individual shooting style and ability can affect those conclusions on my part as well. As often said...your mileage may vary.
    Anacondas.jpg

Those are some purdy shooting irons right there. When my grandparents neighbor died, his widow didn’t know what to do with his guns. The two that I remember the most were a Luger that was a bring back from ww2 with original holster and a beautiful colt python 357. At word of her giving them away my uncle swooped in and scooped them up. It was before I knew what they were value wise. He ended up selling them for next to nothing soon after. Still makes me angry to think about it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a Nickel Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel that I bought from a friend about 1980ish. It was love at first sight LOL! I still have the original grips and wooden presentation box it came in. I put a set of Pachmayrs on it when I first got it.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a Nickel Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel that I bought from a friend about 1980ish. It was love at first sight LOL! I still have the original grips and wooden presentation box it came in. I put a set of Pachmayrs on it when I first got it.

Awesome karma. I am in.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There are many quality and fun 44 mag revolvers to choose from. My go-to is my old Dan Wesson. We've been together for many years and know each other well. Always impressive at the range. :thumbsup:

Another you don't see all the time is my Ruger Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel. It's always a crowd pleaser...

Find a 44 you like and you will build a lifelong relationship...

Good luck!

:)

Attachments

• DW44MagL.jpg
      DW44MagL.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 202
    • IMG_0229 Snip.jpg
      IMG_0229 Snip.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 184

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    There are many quality and fun 44 mag revolvers to choose from. My go-to is my old Dan Wesson. We've been together for many years and know each other well. Always impressive at the range. :thumbsup:

Another you don't see all the time is my Ruger Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel. It's always a crowd pleaser...

Find a 44 you like and you will build a lifelong relationship...

Good luck!

:)

I like the idea of being able switch barrels like that. Just curious, does it change the poi much when going back and fourth from barrel to barrel?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Anacondas.jpg

Beautiful. Even though pricy, the Anacondas are still relatively reasonable. ESP when compared to the Pythons. An Anaconda is on my short list.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks for the input gents. I have been searching around and it seems the model 29s are still bringing 8 to 900 range. I even checked out the newer 29 classic I think it’s called and that’s almost a grand new!
    I hope to come across someone some day that maybe shot it a few times and put it up because they can’t handle it. A guy can hope right? I have settled on a 29 or 629 though. I thought about a single action but I just love the nostalgia of a classic model 29 or any s&w for that matter.

Be patient. I lusted for a 6" Model 629 and bought a new one a couple of years ago. Biggest POS I ever bought. Well, maybe the second biggest POS? After three trips back to S&W for warranty repairs and being returned to me with the same damn problem every time (cylinder binding using .44 Magnum loads), I gave up. I sold it to a friend with full disclosure and took about a 60% hit on what I originally paid ($869). Fvck it. Lesson learned.

It took a little over two years to find an original Model 29-2 and when I did, I fell bass ackwards into it and got a near-mint condition gun as a reward for my patience and diligence. I recommend a similar course if you're leaning towards a Model 29. The new ones are but mere shadows of their former selves.

YMMV

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had 3 Redhawks, 2 S&W 29’s and 2 Super Blacjhawks. I still own one of each. 7.5” Super Blackhawk, 5.5” ss Redhawk, and a 6.5” 629 DX. All three are highly accurate and reliable. That is my all time favorite round. The Redhawk my favorite handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom