• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Scary stuff to me.

We have ben sending my emails and correspondence to everyone. I hope we can get this sidelined this year.

Wondering if this and this gun rights legislation section should be like the water cooler?
    Just a thought.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The issue with these proposals is two-fold:

1) They don't grandfather existing magazines. That violates ex post facto.

2) They require the magazines to be turned in for destruction without compensation. This violates the 5th Amendment as a "taking".

How are these laws not even being talked about violating the US Constitution on this basis? Forget the 2nd Amendment, this violates other aspects of the Constitution as well and should be argued on that point, in my opinion.

Matt

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Actually, its always good to see that the Dems actually do want to confiscate firearms. Its not paranoia if they really are out to get you. The only uses for a registry are confiscation and taxation.

Also, Anthony Brown ran on guns guns guns... did not work out so well.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    The issue with these proposals is two-fold:

1) They don't grandfather existing magazines. That violates ex post facto.

2) They require the magazines to be turned in for destruction without compensation. This violates the 5th Amendment as a "taking".

How are these laws not even being talked about violating the US Constitution on this basis? Forget the 2nd Amendment, this violates other aspects of the Constitution as well and should be argued on that point, in my opinion.

Matt

On 1), the ex post facto prohibition only applies if they tried to charge you with illegal possession after the law passed on the basis of having possessed magazines BEFORE the law passed. But they can indeed charge you with illegal possession if the law passes and you continue to possess the magazines. It wouldn't matter when you purchased them, since it's the possession, not the purchase, that's the crime. Grandfathering is often politically expedient but isn't necessary to avoid running afoul of ex post facto.

On 2), I think it might be tough to make a 5th amendment claim. The property isn't being taken for public use, and if the law passes, the property is not legally held.

IANAL, and would certainly be interested in hearing other perspectives on this. Particularly other precedents of an item being banned without grandfathering or compensation.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Bump-stocks are no different.

Once they poke a hole (establish precedent) they can sink the whole ship (second amendment).

This will continue until the second amendment is legislated into meaningless words.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Bump-stocks are no different.

Once they poke a hole (establish precedent) they can sink the whole ship (second amendment).

This will continue until the second amendment is legislated into meaningless words.

But we won’t let them do that ;)

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    (Looks around cautiously) Do you know where I can pick up a few clipazines...? Cash in hand...
    /s

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I took a trip on Rt15 the other day from Monkey Cnty to Leesburg, VA to pick up 10 standard size clips for my AR. I also ordered 600rds of M855 ammo from ammunition Depot plus 100rds of Hornaday Critical Defense both in 40 and 45 JHP and 100rds of Hornaday Critical Duty JHP in 40 and 45cal as well. Was able to get everything for around $380 with their sale going on ..

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I took a trip on Rt15 the other day from Monkey Cnty to Leesburg, VA to pick up 10 standard size clips for my AR. I also ordered 600rds of M855 ammo from ammunition Depot plus 100rds of Hornaday Critical Defense both in 40 and 45 JHP and 100rds of Hornaday Critical Duty JHP in 40 and 45cal as well. Was able to get everything for around $380 with their sale going on ..

LOL. Loudon Guns probably sees a lot of us. Great store!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Another day in Bodymorgue, another high capacity clipazine

27913354_10155074385001956_4184201179152686641_o.jpg

or not

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I would love to see the numbers (an avg) of how many rounds are fired every time there is a shooting. Any bets it is less than 10?

Point being magazine restrictions wont stop, mitigate, slowdown shootings. Is there any hard data to back any of this up?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would love to see the numbers (an avg) of how many rounds are fired every time there is a shooting. Any bets it is less than 10?

Point being magazine restrictions wont stop, mitigate, slowdown shootings. Is there any hard data to back any of this up?

statistics floating around, shootings in Baltimore are more deadly on average because they are targeted killings (mostly), and shooters go for head shots. Batts a few years ago claimed over 60% were head shots. 1 well placed .22 bouncing around your cranium is all it takes.

post #96 is typical for Baltimore, except a lot of times you see rubber bands around the grips (harder to lift prints, I hear).

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I fear you are correct. I actually wasn't too worried about this bill passing before today... but now I'd give it better than even odds.

Curious to see if it picks up more sponsors after the incident and how many people go down to oppose these bills on the 22nd. I’m going to stay optimistic but there is not telling what the Dems will try. With what happened to the PP maybe get a larger than normal turnout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom