• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Starting a shooting range or MDshooters starting a tactical course in MD

My father lives on our family farm in rural Kentucky. I want to build a 3 gun competition type shooting course, so I can do all the fun stuff I can't do at a normal range (move and shoot, holster draws, nighttime shooting, moving targets). I know the NRA has resources about starting a traditional shooting range, but I assume something that's more like a tactical course would be different. Does anyone have any experience will that or know where I could find information about that?

It'd be nice if I could turn it into a business. There's a lot of shooters that don't have any where else to shoot but a range (and would like something more than that). Our farm is in the sticks, surrounded by other farms. I feel like the neighbors wouldn't object. The farm is already a corporation.

It wouldn't be a tactical school, since I'm not qualified to teach that sort of thing. Just a secluded place where shooters could push their firearms to the limits and practice stress fire shooting. Then sit around a campfire at night and eat grilled steaks and drink beer.

I know I'd have to get a ton of insurance and permits. And it'd take a lot of money. Gotta have a dream!

Last edited:

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    My father lives on our family farm in rural Kentucky. I want to build a 3 gun competition type shooting course, so I can do all the fun stuff I can't do at a normal range (move and shoot, holster draws, nighttime shooting, moving targets). I know the NRA has resources about starting a traditional shooting range, but I assume something that's more like a tactical course would be different. Does anyone have any experience will that or know where I could find information about that?

It'd be nice if I could turn it into a business. There's a lot of shooters that don't have any where else to shoot but a range (and would like something more than that). Our farm is in the sticks, surrounded by other farms. I feel like the neighbors wouldn't object. The farm is already a corporation.

It wouldn't be a tactical school, since I'm not qualified to teach that sort of thing. Just a secluded place where shooters could push their firearms to the limits and practice stress fire shooting. Then sit around a campfire at night and eat grilled steaks and drink beer.

I know I'd have to get a ton of insurance and permits. And it'd take a lot of money. Gotta have a dream!

WHere would this take place? I know I'd sign up...

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The main consideration is maintaining safe fields of fire. Remember bullets fly a long way. I can shoot inmy yard but I am very aware of any potential for any ricochets or stray rounds leaving my property.

I routinely hear people complaining about the range safety nazi's but all it takes is one stray round to ruin things permanently.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    It's hilly enough of our property to set up a shooting area in a depression in the land. It's also pretty easy to have a bulldozer push up a berm.

But the more I think about, my neighbors probably would be pissed about hundreds of rounds of gunfire popped off almost every day. Probably have to 90% or more suppressed fire. Well it was a good idea.

Have any MDshooters ever gotten together on someone's land and setup an informal 3 gun competition course? If it was private and only trusted, screened members were allowed, then it could probably work (that way it's like a group of friends shooting together rather than a for profit business that needs permits and insurance). If anyone has the land, then I'd be willing to make all the targets, obstructions (cover) to shoot around, and a homemade moving target (RC nitro car on a track with lightweight target stand attached to it).

Willing participants could make donations to the landowner or contribute to construction and maintenance of the course (to earn their keep) And if noise was a problem with the neighbors then it could be a suppressed weapons only (or mostly) setup.

It could be keep safe if it was only available by appointment with the landowner and used under the supervision of the landowner. Only let one person shoot at a time. All other guns are not touched, keep unloaded and pointed down range with actions open. Remove rocks and other objects from the berm that could cause ricochets. Common sense stuff.

I'd be willing to commit time and money for a project like this.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    But the more I think about, my neighbors probably would be pissed about hundreds of rounds of gunfire popped off almost every day. Probably have to 90% or more suppressed fire. Well it was a good idea.

Another concern, particularly if you are looking at doing this long term, is the environmental impact of concentrated lead/nitrates. You might want to check restrictions if you are near a watershed or wetlands. Or if your source of water is a local well, etc.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I do have personal knowledge of one federal agency that scrapped plans for a range location based on environmental factors (and possible litigation - but that was here in MD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom