• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RLTW

Napalm sticks to kids
    The answer is simple

From the military days, I have more time practicing at the range, qualifying, use in CQB/MOUT environments, and utilization in combat scenarios than any other weapon. Not to mention, its saved my ass on a couple of occasions. Its the weapon I feel most comfortable with and I feel its only appropriate to own one, given my level of proficiency in it's use.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Finally had a chance to actually skim the article...and it kinda said the same rhetoric that we did. Somewhere in my life recently, I heard of a different approach to answering that question. Rather than challenging it with logic, reason, or any other approach that is so often dismissed as just another gun nut talkin' 'bout muh rights, answer the question specifically and directly, and in a way that convinces them that they need an AR-15 as well. Extol it's virtues, but in friendly ways. Something along the lines of:

Why does anyone need an AR-15? Versatility. This single platform is so customizable that it can satisfy a variety of needs. It has established itself as a premier target rifle in almost any discipline. Need to hit paper targets really far away? There's an AR-15 for that. Need to ring steel up close, on the move? There's an AR-15 for that. Heck, there's probably an AR-15 configuration that can do both. Are you a slender petite woman? We can configure an AR-15 that is short, and light that fits your frame perfectly. As an added bonus, there is very little of that nasty recoil to worry about. Are you a big strapping lumberjack fellow? Extend the collapsable buttstock all the way, and the same AR-15 can fit you too. (we won't tell your friends that you also enjoy the light recoil). Left handed shooter? We got you covered ;)
    Now, in this part of Maryland the usefulness of the AR-15 as a hunting rifle is limited by the fact that we do not have a rifle hunting season. In it's original caliber, it is also not considered powerful enough to humanely take deer, but perfect for varmints, coyotes, and the like. In other areas where it's legal to hunt with a rifle, they can be upgraded (remember that versatility?) to a deer caliber.
    The aftermarket support for the AR-15 is almost unprecedented. They can be built up big, small, scopes, lasers, bipods, all manner of grips to fit anyone's fancy. They can be made camouflage to match your Mossy Oak, or pink with unicorns...if you're into that sort of thing. They are made to a universal specification, with complete parts interchangeability, so you'll never have to worry about finding repair parts to keep your AR-15 running for the next generation.
    Of course, there's home defense. Nobody wants to have to use it this way, but all the customizable and user friendly ergonomics give that "momma bear" every advantage she can get to defend her cave and her cubs. Like a fire extiguisher, you want something simple to use in a hurry, when you need it on what is probably the worst day of your life. It takes very little training to understand, operate, and maintain an AR-15. It's not like loading an M1 Garand that may try to take your thumb off if you aren't careful. You don't have to be a gun guy (or even a guy) to safely and effectively handle an AR-15. Why does anyone need an AR-15? My question is why doesn't everyone have an AR-15? Now, let's go shopping for yours.

Just a thought :shrug:

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Haha, I LOVE this question. Here's how I answer it:

1. Because it's my right.
    2. Because I wanted one and can afford it.
    3. Because groundhogs don't shoot themselves, and I like to show up my FIL with my toys.
    4. Because it was a bonding experience for my wife and I to build 2 more.
    5. Because they look cool.
    6. Because defense is important, and knives don't work well at a distance.
    7. Because I had a gun cabinet that was half empty, and that's being wasteful.
    8. Because my truck bed makes a great shooting platform, and I bought a truck for its multi-purpose utility, right?
    9. Because people that didn't like them banned them, and we don't go around banning things we don't like, so since the ban was sunset, I got one.
    10. Because if I have more than one, then my wife and I can shoot them together.

:D

-John

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I don't need a lot of things. Women only have two feet, how do they need 100 pair of shoes, or 12 purses. Need doesnt enter into the argument. I want therefore i own an ar15

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    its a damn shame at how expensive garands have gotten. Id like one a lot, but ill be damn if im paying 1200 dollars or more for a decent example.

I got lucky and won one in a raffle a couple months ago.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom