• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The second issue is probably more problematic than the first :)

Yeah it got me in trouble. In 6 months I picked up an M57, G1898, Cz82, SKS, Colt OP, a couple of P64s through my C&R. Not including a couple of other C&R pieces that weren’t with my license.

Then my wife found out I hadn’t bought 2 or 3 guns last year like she had been thinking I had (I hadn’t really lied. I just didn’t mention the purchases and she hadn’t asked).

Needless to say several of those have since been sold to keep the marital peace.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Yeah it got me in trouble. In 6 months I picked up an M57, G1898, Cz82, SKS, Colt OP, a couple of P64s through my C&R. Not including a couple of other C&R pieces that weren’t with my license.

Then my wife found out I hadn’t bought 2 or 3 guns last year like she had been thinking I had (I hadn’t really lied. I just didn’t mention the purchases and she hadn’t asked).

Needless to say several of those have since been sold to keep the marital peace.

c17d1f9d80c36db87e82c7c1ead8224a.jpg

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    ^^THIS, very simply put, but unfortunately it hasn't stopped people from bitching about it for years now.........:sad20:

If - and that’s a big if - I were to happen across one of my holy grails and it was being sold by a clown who refused to honor my 03, I might - I would probably - pull the trigger, but otherwise everything is out there from normal people if you are patient, and I just refuse to give my business to some hayseed who thinks his FFL is more legitimate than mine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah. Phew. A whole lot of suck, but when it comes down to it, it let me sell one or two that I mildly regretted having bought anyway. Worked fine, but for example I bought a spoterized mixmaster gewher 1898. I really wish I had just bought a good example G98 or better yet a K98. A couple I had no regrets of having bought went out the door also, but I kept everything I cared about (sold 4 total, which barely made a dent).

Moving soon, so I absolutely can't sneak anything in now. She should know about (almost) everything I own right now (all the handguns are getting slipped in to ammo boxes as she may not know about all of them) and I doubt she will be counting, but it gives her heart palpitations the couple of times she's seen the safe open. The possibility of being around the stack of guns (even if most are in gun cases) while moving the safe probably isn't going to make her any happier.

Well, and buying a new house is going to make money really short for a few months. So I cannot afford to buy any more guns till probably fall.

Makes me doubly glad that UBC crap didn't pass.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I let my FFL-03 expire. I'm not sure whether or not to reapply. My last purchase was an M1 Garand from the CMP. You don't need a C&R license to buy rifles from them and they don't respect it on pistol sales.

The easy peasy surplus market is gone. There will always be occasional great buys for folks willing to put the effort in, but I just don't seem to have the time for that.

I'll probably reapply this summer though. $30 is just too cheap to give up the right to buy a gun and have it delivered to my doorstep.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I let my FFL-03 expire. I'm not sure whether or not to reapply. My last purchase was an M1 Garand from the CMP. You don't need a C&R license to buy rifles from them and they don't respect it on pistol sales.

The easy peasy surplus market is gone. There will always be occasional great buys for folks willing to put the effort in, but I just don't seem to have the time for that.

I'll probably reapply this summer though. $30 is just too cheap to give up the right to buy a gun and have it delivered to my doorstep.

Correct and it's not worth the angst over the few I've found that wouldn't accept it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Correct and it's not worth the angst over the few I've found that wouldn't accept it.

Not just that, but a handful of places give discounts to FFLs, no matter the type. Brownell’s does. Wolff spring. Numerich.

Probably a few others. I wish Midway still did. Over 3 years, especially if you buy stuff from Brownell’s, you’ll probably save your $30.

frednek9

Mar 11, 2013
    Sykesville
    Renewing my C&R license, does anyone know where i mail the application to? The application states mail to Atlanta, GA but the envelope that came with the application is addressed to Portland, OR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom