• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vetteguy

Feb 19, 2016
    Abingdon
    Hey folks. Looking at a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 for a carry gun. Since the the 9mm and the 40 are the same price what are pros and cons? I'm kinda a noob so appreciate any input. Thanks, Guy

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Hey folks. Looking at a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 for a carry gun. Since the the 9mm and the 40 are the same price what are pros and cons? I'm kinda a noob so appreciate any input. Thanks, Guy

I have the first editions of shield in 9 and 45. They are flat for carry, very reliable, soft shooting. Mag capacity is 7 and 6. I don’t but they come with a safety if you like. Downside on the first version. The trigger is gritty and not so clean breaking. Heard from the gun writers they have gotten better with the 2.0 but i don’t know. They are ford pickups. Not fancy, good value and reliable. Lots of holsters, sights available. If you carry against your skin IWB you will want to sand the inside of the grip or use one of the grip products. The new 9s have this rough handle now. Did not on earlier mods. Shoot the 40. I sometimes carry a G27 and its a snappy rd, even compared to the 45. 9 or 40 is a a matter of taste, but the 9 is less expensive and easier to shoot and you can shoot more before your hand tires. All day with the 9. If you are new to carry and handguns, i might suggest the 9 because the cost of practice will go down and i think you will enjoy the 9 on the range more. Practice, practice, practice control and shot placement...easier with a 9. Many will disagree with me because modern 9s are very good, but on the street i want more, but you are not undersrmed with the shield 9. Over and out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Carry whatever is more comfortable for you to carry, since you will be carrying it more than using it. First shot placement is more important than caliber. I'd rather hit someone square in the chest or forehead with a .380 or 9 than hit them in the shoulder with a 40 or .45.

YMMV

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I’m getting ready to purchase a shield 2.0 9 in the next week or 2 for carry. I have shot the original shield in 9mm and have to agree that the trigger is a bit rough but still not bad for a carry gun in my opinion. If the 2.0 trigger is a slite improvement than that is a plus in my book. I did consider the performance center model but I’m just not a fan of the porting and fiber optic sights. I saw that they are offering it with factory night sights now but I couldn’t justify the price difference on features that I don’t really need.

I decided on trying the cloak tuck 3.0 iwb from alien gear. Seems to have a lot going for it and I can find it for under 50 bucks. If it dosnt work out it will just end up in my big box of holsters that didn’t make the cut lol.

I am by no means a expert but as stated the 9 vs 40 is a matter of preference. I’m betting the 40 can be quite snappy in the small shield but it’s all about what you can shoot well. Most police I know are carrying 9mm off duty so with good defensive loads you should not feel undergunned at all.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

If you are anywhere remotely close to Frederick, go to The Machine Gun Nest and rent the models you want to compare (and more). They have both Shields in 9 (the regular and the 2.0) and I know they have some 40's. I highly recommend doing this. I have done it myself over the past couple weeks and have narrowed it down to the Shield 9 (NOT the 2.0, hate the grip texture), the Walther PPS (same price range) and the Kimber Micro 9 (NOT the same price range).

Will be going back and renting all 3 of those at once to make my final decision. It is worth every penny to do this, in my opinion. Best of luck to you.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If you are anywhere remotely close to Frederick, go to The Machine Gun Nest and rent the models you want to compare (and more). They have both Shields in 9 (the regular and the 2.0) and I know they have some 40's. I highly recommend doing this. I have done it myself over the past couple weeks and have narrowed it down to the Shield 9 (NOT the 2.0, hate the grip texture), the Walther PPS (same price range) and the Kimber Micro 9 (NOT the same price range).

Will be going back and renting all 3 of those at once to make my final decision. It is worth every penny to do this, in my opinion. Best of luck to you.

Really good advice. And you can do the same at continental (call first to see of they have what u want to shoot) and free state. Sometimes these guns can be filthy.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County

Out of curiosity what is it about the grip texture on the 2.0 that you hate?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In subcompacts , my general inclinations are for 9mm . Evan as someone who enjoys shooting really powerful handguns, in the pocket rockets, notably better control and faster follow up shots with 9mm .

Back when the Gen 1 was simply THE Shield , I thought the trigger was perfectly acceptable , and was pleased with the accuracy.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    If you’re set on the Shield and trying to decide between 9 or 40, 9mm is the way to go. The posts above by Blaster and Biggfoot are spot-on.

New to mid-level shooters are going to have recoil management and shot anticipation issues with the 40. The goal is to put rounds where you want them, when you want them, and in this scenario the 40 has no advantages in doing so.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Out of curiosity what is it about the grip texture on the 2.0 that you hate?

Harsh like sandpaper. Wet sanded down the 45 shield otherwise could not carry iwb against skin. Evey movement left me raw. But one side less, one side stock is fine. And gives good grip...not needed in my opinion on the 9 but helpful in the 45.

Last edited:

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    To me and the Mrs. both, it feels like holding 80 grit sandpaper. So uncomfortable that neither one of us even want to shoot it. Others may like that, we don't.

Thank you, I thought I was the Lone Ranger, the 2.0 grip is spiny to me but gritty is close enough, the 1.0 M&P grips more comfortable to shoot plus the 2.0 trigger has way to much travel over the 1.0's :tdown:

I shoot the M&P Pro 9 mm @ steel, best grip & trigger, hope Smith Wesson makes a Shield Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom