The "Sun is Setting Between the Trees" Again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    After we moved to Garrett County several years ago I began watching where the sun sets relative to the trees on our property as the seasons march forward. Why? Because, 1) We have four very distinct seasons here (winter can be brutal) and 2) Planning for what's ahead is important.

As I've posted in the past, when the sun begins setting between two "particular" trees in our yard, I've learned it's also time to prepare for fall and winter. That means oil changes and cleaning/inspection of the machines I'll need to depend on soon (leaf blower, generator, snow thrower, etc.)

We may not like the fact that we're over half way between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox, but Labor Day isn't far away. In Garrett County...fall usually comes sooner rather than later.

Good news/Bad news. The setting sun has reached the trees. Don't panic, there's still plenty of time to check out your equipment before dealing with the inevitable.

Personally? I like the falls and winters here in the mountains. But, make no mistake, it's a'comin'...

;)

Attachments

• 08_11_2015..jpg
      08_11_2015..jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 2,456

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Snow?

NOT YET!

Patience, grasshopper...
    it will be here soon enough...

Attachments

• DSC07876.jpg
      DSC07876.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 2,351

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Are the doggies ready?

The beagles have been through winters before. :thumbsup: But, since Olivia the basset is a new addition, she prolly needs her oil changed... Wait, how do we do that? Either way, her undercarriage is bound to drag in the snow and ice...

Oops...Never considered that problem coming...

:lol2:

Feb 28, 2013
    Forgive my asking a seemingly stupid question here, but doesn't the setting sun ALWAYS reach the trees?

...Like every day as it drops down to the horizon?:)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Forgive my asking a seemingly stupid question here, but doesn't the setting sun ALWAYS reach the trees?

...Like every day as it drops down to the horizon?:)

Its the location of the trees j8064 is using as a reference point. In the summer- sunset is farther north, in the winter - sunset is more southerly.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    This would be oh so funny if not oh so right...

In the mountains (I've found), some things are more noticeable and pronounced. One pays heed to the little things that tend to mark time and or indicate circumstances that you need to be aware of or respect.

Here, the sun rises across the valley from my deck. In the winter, the sunrise rises to the right hand side of the gap...just behind the mountain. Yet, in the summer, the sun rises on the left hand side of the gap. Sure as God made little green apples, the sunrise is traversing now from left to right. Just as it traversed from right to left when we went from winter to summer.

Watching the weather and noting the position of sun, moon, stars etc. is very instructive. Seeing the animals behavior is also quite enlightening. For instance, come April first, ya need to take in all your winter bird feeders. The Bears love birdseed.

The colors of the morning sky/sunrise and the conformation of the clouds is fascinating. Couldn't really see these things in suburbia what with trees and other houses all around. Also, didn't have much time to look or consider given the habitrail where I was very busy spinning the wheel.

Not unlike the beach where you can see the weather coming and appreciate its potential impact on your life, meteorology in the mountains is fascinating...and pretty important to your daily existence.

Funny how being amidst nature invokes more of our carnal nature, eh?

Thanks for a provocative OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom