• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That's quite a sale that SOG has going. Two P64 pistols for $350 (or 1 for $195). Not C&R or MD legal for purchase, but $725 for a Colt LE6920 is an amazing price too. Couldn't find these for less than $1300/1400 during the summer of 2013 before FSA 2013 was taking effect.

Of course with SOG, there will be a credit card surcharge as well as a shipping fee, but still great overall price in the end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That's quite a sale that SOG has going. Two P64 pistols for $350 (or 1 for $195). Not C&R or MD legal for purchase, but $725 for a Colt LE6920 is an amazing price too. Couldn't find these for less than $1300/1400 during the summer of 2013 before FSA 2013 was taking effect.

Of course with SOG, there will be a credit card surcharge as well as a shipping fee, but still great overall price in the end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

They paid more for those 6920s than what they’re selling them for. They’ve been dropping their prices on those those guns for two years now.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    As much as I hate to pass on a “deal”, I just can’t bring myself to spend $220 on a P64. It’s like a girl with busted teeth. They just don’t do it for me. I’d rather buy a spam can of 54R or ... a scabbard for my Swiss M1914 Pioneer bayonet (thank you Simpson!)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As much as I hate to pass on a “deal”, I just can’t bring myself to spend $220 on a P64. It’s like a girl with busted teeth. They just don’t do it for me. I’d rather buy a spam can of 54R or ... a scabbard for my Swiss M1914 Pioneer bayonet (thank you Simpson!)

I went back and forth in wanting one and then not wanting one. I finally came down on the side of $190 a pop after SOG’s credit card fees and shipping ($175 each on sale before all that) and how could I not as an investment. I’ll try them and if I love them I’ll keep one. I suspect I won’t.

But hell, even crappy guns go up in price eventually. Look at Mosin Nagants. A year or two from now P64 might be $250 each and 3 or 4 years from now they might be $300. Making 50% profit on my investment in 4 years time is pretty danged good even if it was a small investment.

And if I do like them, then I’ll keep one and sell the other one at some point and then I ended up getting one for stupid cheap after the profit on the one I sell.

But I am pretty sure I’ll shoot a box through the pair, clean them, oil them and tuck them in the back of my safe for a few years before selling them.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I went back and forth in wanting one and then not wanting one. I finally came down on the side of $190 a pop after SOG’s credit card fees and shipping ($175 each on sale before all that) and how could I not as an investment. I’ll try them and if I love them I’ll keep one. I suspect I won’t.

But hell, even crappy guns go up in price eventually. Look at Mosin Nagants. A year or two from now P64 might be $250 each and 3 or 4 years from now they might be $300. Making 50% profit on my investment in 4 years time is pretty danged good even if it was a small investment.

And if I do like them, then I’ll keep one and sell the other one at some point and then I ended up getting one for stupid cheap after the profit on the one I sell.

But I am pretty sure I’ll shoot a box through the pair, clean them, oil them and tuck them in the back of my safe for a few years before selling them.

The problem with guns is that, for the most part, you don’t know how much interest they hold until they are no longer available. P64s have been available for many years and the price has remained stagnant - in fact, if anything prices have come down. I have no doubt that P64s will eventually be worth more than they are today. One thing going against them is that they are police pistols.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The problem with guns is that, for the most part, you don’t know how much interest they hold until they are no longer available. P64s have been available for many years and the price has remained stagnant - in fact, if anything prices have come down. I have no doubt that P64s will eventually be worth more than they are today. One thing going against them is that they are police pistols.

Absolutely. It might take 10 years for the prices go upa bunch. But I’d bet they will eventually. For decades Nagants and Mosin-Nagants have been super cheap. But then some of the last large batches of imported stocks seemed to dry up and prices doubled in just a few years.

I doubt all P64s will be gone from dealers soon, but availability is sure going down and the big guys seem comfortable selling them for $219+ and I’ve seen some at shops for $250-300. Doesn’t mean they sell a lot of them, but I assume someone is paying that price now and again.

So it could be a year it could be five, but it seems like some of the last large stocks of them are finally dwindling.

And I figure worst comes to worst I probably could get all my money back out without a loss as cheap as that SOG deal is.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I might buy a couple of P64s purely as trade and sale fodder.

MSP paperwork makes C&R pistols more difficult to sell in Maryland. Why deal with MSP when you could get it mailed to your door from out of state? There’s a Nagant pistol in the classifieds I would have jumped on but don’t want to deal with MSP hassle.

Long guns are much better trade fodder.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Absolutely. It might take 10 years for the prices go upa bunch. But I’d bet they will eventually. For decades Nagants and Mosin-Nagants have been super cheap. But then some of the last large batches of imported stocks seemed to dry up and prices doubled in just a few years.

I doubt all P64s will be gone from dealers soon, but availability is sure going down and the big guys seem comfortable selling them for $219+ and I’ve seen some at shops for $250-300. Doesn’t mean they sell a lot of them, but I assume someone is paying that price now and again.

So it could be a year it could be five, but it seems like some of the last large stocks of them are finally dwindling.

And I figure worst comes to worst I probably could get all my money back out without a loss as cheap as that SOG deal is.

I’d rather spend money on the Yugo M57 Toks for $195.

Jul 1, 2012

excellent points... (unless they get featured on The Walking Dead or some other event that makes them magically desirable).

Even if the price tripled next week, you'd have to grab a crap-ton of them (and be able to sell them and avoid being labeled as conducting business) to "make" any significant amount of money.

I wouldn't encourage stockpiling P64's as a long-term investment strategy :)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    MSP paperwork makes C&R pistols more difficult to sell in Maryland. Why deal with MSP when you could get it mailed to your door from out of state? There’s a Nagant pistol in the classifieds I would have jumped on but don’t want to deal with MSP hassle.

Whatever makes you think I'd be buying in state? That's what a C&R is for.

I keep thinking of the East German Makarov I own. Picked it up in Florida. The guy was selling them out of a crate - $179 each. If I'd bought two, I could sell one today and pay for the other.

One rule of C&R is that the day the importers run out, the price doubles.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Whatever makes you think I'd be buying in state? That's what a C&R is for.

I keep thinking of the East German Makarov I own. Picked it up in Florida. The guy was selling them out of a crate - $179 each. If I'd bought two, I could sell one today and pay for the other.

One rule of C&R is that the day the importers run out, the price doubles.

E German Mak and a P64 ain’t even the same sport.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I hate Classic. I’ve bought a few guns from Sweaty Ben, including a really nice Cz50 (although the grips were cracked and I had to buy a replacement, which was cheap). Everything is HISTORIC! A P64 is not historic. A Cz82 is not historic. Your huge, sweaty potbelly is not historic. It isn’t esoteric, either.

WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    I hate Classic. I’ve bought a few guns from Sweaty Ben, including a really nice Cz50 (although the grips were cracked and I had to buy a replacement, which was cheap). Everything is HISTORIC! A P64 is not historic. A Cz82 is not historic. Your huge, sweaty potbelly is not historic. It isn’t esoteric, either.

Where's a "Like" button when you need one, lol? And if you've been doing this for a while along with the PT Barnum descriptions the old website that had everything they had for sale on one page you also got updates on the Dukes Of Hazard and Daisy Duke, WWE Wrestling results and the occasional pink yard flamingo for sale.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d rather spend money on the Yugo M57 Toks for $195.

I’ve got one of those :-)

If their sale had been on the M57 for $175 a piece I would have picked up two of those for trade or see if one is nicer than the one I have (hard as mine is minty+ condition).

On the C&R hard in MD, absolutely. Annoying as hell. But there are still VA and PA gunboards also and some of those guys have C&R licenses or a lot of the FFLs in those states charge lower transfer fees than MD.

To me it is a long game for making a profit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's the smarter strategy, using a duplicate to pay/trade for the next acquisition :)

Mine is financial/psychological. If in a few years I can sell one or both for a $30-50 profit I made a bit of money to help fund an acquisition and look, Ive freedom room in my safe also!

I’d have to sell a lot to make a big profit, but I am not looking to do that. If I can make $20-30 a piece and the hassle isn’t high on selling it/them I am happy enoungh. If the price goes up a lot and I make $100 or $150 on each one I’d be ecstatic. No, I doubt these will be $400 guns (at least not before my youngest could legally own them and she has 15 years yet for that).

But I still see them pushing $250-280 regularly once the importer/dealer stocks dry up.

I just got the invoice and it looks like it’ll be ~$380 shipped for the two. Which means all I’d need to do would be to sell them at $210-220 each to make $20-30. Which I don’t plan to do (sell them) anytime soon.

Plus also with my wife and I can tell her I am selling a gun or two to make room and fund buying another gun (it might happen these find their way in to my wife quietly though :innocent0)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh and lastly, I am constantly hearing guys moaning about how they wish they had bought X or Y when you could get them for $79 each and stacks of them.

I agree a P64 is not the same as milsurp and what not. But everything I’ve heard from folks is it is super well built, but ridiculously heavy trigger pull in DA. hard to make much money on goods if you don’t take any risk. If it was guaranteed profit tons of people would do it and everything would dry up in days.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh and lastly, I am constantly hearing guys moaning about how they wish they had bought X or Y when you could get them for $79 each and stacks of them.

I agree a P64 is not the same as milsurp and what not. But everything I’ve heard from folks is it is super well built, but ridiculously heavy trigger pull in DA. hard to make much money on goods if you don’t take any risk. If it was guaranteed profit tons of people would do it and everything would dry up in days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom